Electronic

For all he has done since The Smiths.

Postby morrissey » Wed May 04, 2005 4:04 pm

This must fit in here... any Electronic fans? For those who aren't familiar, it's a collaboration between Marr and Bernard Sumner of New Order. Sounds closer to New Order than any thing.

I have the debut and Twisted Tenderness, prefer the debut.
"She said I know you and you cannot sing/I said that's nothing you should hear me play piano"
morrissey

Postby elko » Wed May 04, 2005 4:16 pm

I've only heard 'Getting Away With It', which I guess is their most famous song. I wasn't that impressed, not bad, but nothing too incredible. I mentioned the song to my dad, and he actually thought it had been by the Pet Shop Boys <!--emo&:blink:-->Image<!--endemo-->
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Wed May 04, 2005 11:19 pm

Welcome morrissey. I haven't taken the time to pick up Electronic's other stuff. I only have 'Electronic' which I like. I'm not really a synth/electro music listener, but this I like a lot. So after the Smiths split, I picked it up as soon as it was released. I should really make it a little project to look into Electronic's work.

I absolutely love 'Getting Away With It'. The acoustic little solo in the middle of the song and the swirling 'strings' at the end, well I just love it. One of those loop-able songs I can play over and over. Could sadly be mistaken for a Pet Shop Boys song because of Tenant's vocals on it, but it's a beautifully crafted song, imo. So for you elko, if you don't really like this one, I don't know if you'd enjoy the rest of this album. It's the least 'techno' sounding, and the one with the most guitar sounds to it.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Fri May 06, 2005 1:08 pm

Please don't give up on them based on Getting Away with it...I kinda remembered that song and I kinda liked it - but I presumed it was either a Pet Shop Boys song or New Order??!!

I listened to that one back recently after getting massively into Electronic and I found I didn't like it as much, I personally think what is on the album is stronger...very synth dance pop but top quality far above any similar artists the songs on their albums are truely glorious in places - some tracks just make me exquisitely happy!!

the albums do get more guitary but Electronic the first one is the best of the three, although Raise the Pressure is good too...Twisted Tenderness not so much so from my perspective but...
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:14 pm

Can anyone recommend me decent Electronic songs then? I've read good reviews and stuff...but have not heard anything that impressive.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:29 pm

You might find Twisted Tenderness more to your liking. Just a guess, 'll try to recommend something when I get a chance. Some of the songs that have the 'wa-wa' guitar sound might be reminiscent of Boomslang, though, should warn you! <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->

I'm another one in the minority when it comes to 'Getting Away With It'. The 'solo' on that my Johnny is just beautiful. Nevermind Tennant or Sumner's voice, both of whom I like.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:55 am

Flicker, from Twisted Tenderness, I like a lot. A hint of Travis (why do people not like Travis on the whole?). It has an epic feel to it, with the different changes and arrangements. For me it's the best one on this album. I'll try and post it soon.

On the whole I'm just not a big Electronic fan. I tried. Maybe over time. There's just nothing new or inventive. Just basic, but enjoyable music. I just like to hear Johnny play.

I posted Flicker on Gmail.
Last edited by Still Ill on Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:03 pm

I have Raise The Pressure, which has a few good songs and a few bad songs, I love 'For You' and 'Out Of My League'
They really are just New Order to me, in terms of sound and album structure
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/edcallow/" target="_blank">.</a>
The Boy with a thorn in his side
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:12 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-The Boy with a thorn in his side+Sep 7 2005, 09:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Boy with a thorn in his side @ Sep 7 2005, 09:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I have Raise The Pressure, which has a few good songs and a few bad songs, I love 'For You' and 'Out Of My League'
They really are just New Order to me, in terms of sound and album structure <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
I added 3 fave songs off the top of my head onto gmail last night, for anyone new to Electronic.
You're right Ed, pretty much New Order for me as well. But I'm looking for more of Johnny in their stuff. The problem for me with Raise the Pressure, for example, is that it jumps from full on synth/disco to the melodic stuff I like. I can't really listen to it straight through. I think Twisted Tenderness is more cohesive in that sense.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:13 pm

I think, from what I've heard (thanks for the tracks SI), somewhere between New Order and the Smiths, but without the innovation of either.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:47 am

See the problem I have with Electronic? Were it not for Johnny, I might not give it the time of day. Some songs are growers at best. Which is why I'll go back to their stuff periodically.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:41 am

I want to thank you, Still_ill, for those tracks you've posted. I really like them, especailly Vivid. <!--emo&:B-->Image<!--endemo-->

I agree there is nothing truely great or striking about Electronic, but still, I don't mind listening to them at all.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby HadjiQuest » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:55 am

I got Electronic's debut a week ago. It was on a complete whim, so I did buy the disc used ($3, woo!). Fantastic. I'm not a huge fan of synth-stuff, but I really liked this. I'll grab the other two discs at some point, but I'll probably buy that middle one used (I'm told it's slightly bland, but I think bland albums can be fun as long as they're somewhat poppy).
HadjiQuest
Supreme

Postby tallulahtaurus » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:07 pm

I appreciate that frame of mind that still ill had when she said that if it wasn't for Johnny Electronic wouldn't do much for her I have the same attitude to the Healers...it all sounds somewhat sub Oasisy to me....and I despise Oasis personally so bad Marr rip off stuff wouldn't have appealed had I not known who he was!!

but my own opinion on Electronic is that they are superb...I genuinely would listen to it even if I never knew who the smiths were...in fact I was obsessed with getting away with it before I knew...I thought it was a new order song...

my favourite songs are definitely Reality, Feel Every Beat, Disappointed but the more times I listen the more I can find I can listen to them all pretty much...its strange how tastes differ I guess...
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:34 am

You bring up some good points Tallulah. Sub Oasis, that's a good description. But I have to admit there's not a whole lot of Oasis I've not heard. Maybe there's a few gems of theirs I've yet to discover.
Overly synth at times, but I like their first best, probably because I got it when it first came out and it was Johnny there, getting some big exposure. Disappointed I love, Feel Every Beat's a great one, too. Takes me back, yikes!
And I haven't given up on their other albums. I love Out Of My League.
Glad you popped in, I haven't seen you around here in a while. <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to Johnny Marr