Great guitar moments

For all he has done since The Smiths.

Postby Miserable Liar » Mon May 23, 2005 8:26 pm

btw, that test was easy!!!
I'm so glad, I think i've done quite well.
Another great moment, hmmmmmmmmm.
"How soon is now?" it has to be mentioned, so what if he wrote it when he was stoned, it is very creative!
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby twinkle » Mon May 23, 2005 8:28 pm

How Soon Is Now

What excellent, exciting, sensational, chilling guitar music Johnny makes on that track. It makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end each time I hear it.
Absolutely superb!
twinkle

Postby Sweet and Tender Hooligan » Tue May 24, 2005 6:01 pm

all the songs r gd! tehe what about the jingly jangly stuff on this charming man! <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->

what was the exam that was so easy then?
I'm spellbound, but a woman divides
And the hills are alive with celibate cries
Sweet and Tender Hooligan
Supreme

Postby Miserable Liar » Tue May 24, 2005 10:15 pm

It was an IT exam, it was really easy, well compared to what I thought it was going to be like.
"This Charming Man", yes I agree, it has a very unique quality that other Smith's songs didn't match, all equally as unique though!
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:30 pm

My favourite Marr`s guitars: WELL I WONDER - THIS NIGHT HAS OPENED MY EYES - WILLIAM IT WAS REALLY NOTHING - I DON`T OWE YOU ANYTHING - I STARTED SOMETHING I COULDN`T FINISH.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Domestique » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:23 pm

At the moment my favourite guitar parts are Girl Afraid (that never changes) and the acoustic version of Back To The Old House. Incidentally, doesn't the very end of Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others sound like Dire Straits? Sacrilege, I hear you cry! <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Sucrose/?chartstyle=basicrt10" target="_blank"> Image </a>
Domestique
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:56 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Domestique+Jul 20 2005, 06:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Domestique @ Jul 20 2005, 06:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->At the moment my favourite guitar parts are Girl Afraid (that never changes) and the acoustic version of Back To The Old House. Incidentally, doesn't the very end of Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others sound like Dire Straits? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Oh, please, don't say that! I hate Dire Straits, wouldn't bear a comparison between them and The Smiths! <!--emo&:blink:-->Image<!--endemo--> (Well, I am overdramatizing, as you can easily guess).
I absolutely love the ending chords of Some Girls - and the intro to Girl Afraid...God, this one gets me mesmerized every time! (no overdramatizing here)
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:39 pm

i dunno why but bits of Bigmouth strikes again really remind me of a Duran Duran type song...god my mind is a weird one...

i like the solo bits on the end of the live version of Please please and that joke isn't funny anymore...from the thank your lucky stars bootleg...the marr rocks
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:56 pm

i'm still in love with the intro bit to Ask...

it's just fun! <!--emo&B)-->Image<!--endemo-->
I'm breaking through, I'm bending spoons
I'm keeping flowers in full bloom.
I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Postby this_charming_girl » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:43 am

aah its so hard to pick one! obviosult the how soon is now intro, but i also love still ill, charming man, pretty girls make graves and girl afraid. aah i would say all of them but ive managed to narrow it down!
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:25 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Noonan McKane+May 18 2005, 11:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Noonan McKane @ May 18 2005, 11:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Yes, his riffs on ... "Hand In Glove" ... Class. You can't help but be amazed that no one stumbled across them before the mid eighties.

<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
the riff on hand in glove- i could swear, it's that good <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->

and i know what you mean.. it sounds so clean and simple it's surprising no one else got it, but normal humans aren't like johnny marr..

<!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo-->
I'm breaking through, I'm bending spoons
I'm keeping flowers in full bloom.
I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Postby Domestique » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:09 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-tallulahtaurus+Jul 21 2005, 09:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tallulahtaurus @ Jul 21 2005, 09:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->i dunno why but bits of Bigmouth strikes again really remind me of a Duran Duran type song...god my mind is a weird one...

<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Hmm, I don't hear the Duran thing at all, but I've always felt the guitar break in the middle of Shoplifters is a bit too Nik Kershaw for my liking. And certain people have been known to agree with me! <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->

Anyway, best be careful what I say; I'm still on probation after my Dire Straits comment last week! <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Sucrose/?chartstyle=basicrt10" target="_blank"> Image </a>
Domestique
Smiths Nut!

Postby Sami » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:16 pm

I like the distortion and level of reverb in The Queen Is Dead but also love the riffs of Still Ill, very Byrdsesque
Sami

Postby Still Ill » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:44 pm

Naturally one of my very favorites, I would not have thought to describe Still Ill as Byrdesque, good one. The notes just jump all over the place during the verses. Great guitar stuff.
Last edited by Still Ill on Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:34 pm

"back to the old house" (the version on hatful of hollow anyway, i dunno about any other versions) has some incredible-sounding guitar playing on it, and theres also some amazing intros, like "stop me...", "girl afraid", "this charming man"... plus "how soon is now?" is total awesomeness! ah, so many great guitar moments... johnny marr must be a guitarists god!
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to Johnny Marr