Johnny's Guitars

For all he has done since The Smiths.

Postby Bref » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:51 pm

I'm buying a new guitar and I would love to know the types of guitars johnny used in the smiths especially on the debut album
Can anyone help?
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Book Antiqua--><span style="font-family:Book Antiqua"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial Narrow--><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->Half of the time we're gone but we don't know where,
we don't know where.
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Bref
Smiths Nut!

Postby rEEdy^^ » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:59 pm

not sure, but get an 'EXP'......or a fender strat because they make a jangly sound....but get an EXP!!!
rEEdy^^
Supreme

Postby elko » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:19 pm

Rickenbackers are the kings of jangliness. If you know of a decent guitar shop, ask to try a Rickenbacker 330.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Bref » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:43 pm

That's a bit out of my price range but what do you think about this?
<a href='http://waltons.ie/shop/product_info.php?cPath=60_63&products_id=3354' target='_blank'>http://waltons.ie/shop/product_info.php?cP...roducts_id=3354</a>
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Book Antiqua--><span style="font-family:Book Antiqua"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial Narrow--><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->Half of the time we're gone but we don't know where,
we don't know where.
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Bref
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:42 pm

Couldn't really give a worthwhile opinion, but <a href='http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Epiphone/ES_335_Dot-1.html' target='_blank'>here</a> are reviews on it from a site that I usually find useful.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Bref » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:21 pm

Thanks for that link it was really helpful
we don't know where.
Bref
Smiths Nut!

Postby carolyns_fingers » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:33 am

I just bought a Rickenbacker 360 Jet Glo.. It playes so well, I think it is what Johnny used back in the day.. I could be wrong, but when I played it I knew I had to have it..
Man it sounds so good through a Vox amp..
carolyns_fingers
Regular

Postby elko » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:29 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-carolyns_fingers+Jan 20 2006, 03:33 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (carolyns_fingers @ Jan 20 2006, 03:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I just bought a Rickenbacker 360 Jet Glo.. It playes so well, I think it is what Johnny used back in the day.. I could be wrong, but when I played it I knew I had to have it..
Man it sounds so good through a Vox amp.. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Lucky you!!!

I forget now whether Johnny used a 330 or 360- I get confused between him and George Harrison for some reason...
elko
Site Admin

Postby sonandheir » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:38 pm

For "This Charming Man", Jonny used a '54 Tele. Otherwise, he used the 330.

It's funny you mention George Harrison, Elko, because Johnny once said this:

"It was George Harrison who influenced me to get a Rickenbacker: "Ticket To Ride" - what a brilliant song!"
<span style='color:blue'>"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi</span>
sonandheir
Supreme

Postby Splinter » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:37 pm

He also uses Gibson guitars
Splinter
Advanced

Postby Boywiththethorninhisside » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:30 pm

If you can't run to the considerable expense of a Rickenbacker, Johnny also played a Gibson/Epiphone ES335, which I believe may also have been the model he gave to Noel Gallagher. You can get the Epi for less than 400 quid, and it's a lovely guitar.
<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->www.myspace.com/gesekki<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
Boywiththethorninhisside
Regular

Postby Bref » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:57 pm

Yeah that's the exact model I got, I love it!
Thanks <!--emo&:B-->Image<!--endemo-->
we don't know where.
Bref
Smiths Nut!

Postby atomium » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:56 pm

Excellent! Just the tread I was looking for!

I’m thinking of buying a new guitar, maybe 54 telecaster or a semi-acoustic one like Marr used, but it’s so expensive buying guitars in Norway, do you know of any good shops in England that ships over sea?
atomium
Supreme

Postby kurt » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:44 pm

How about Ebay? XD
<div align="left"><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Microsoft Sans Serif--><span style="font-family:Microsoft Sans Serif"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green"><!--/coloro-->Everything you say to me takes me One step closer to the edge</div>

<div align="right">and I'm about to break<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
kurt
Supreme

Postby atomium » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:13 pm

Hm...Maybe. But right now I haven't got any money after all, so...No money = no new guitar :(

Anto -
atomium
Supreme

Next

Return to Johnny Marr