Johnny's Guitars

For all he has done since The Smiths.

Postby elko » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:59 pm

atomium wrote:Hm...Maybe. But right now I haven't got any money after all, so...No money = no new guitar :(

Anto -

Duh. Steal one.
elko
Site Admin

Postby kurt » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:53 pm

haha, yeah its pretty obvious isnt it :P
<div align="left"><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Microsoft Sans Serif--><span style="font-family:Microsoft Sans Serif"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green"><!--/coloro-->Everything you say to me takes me One step closer to the edge</div>

<div align="right">and I'm about to break<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
kurt
Supreme

Postby Still Ill » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:19 pm

A testimonial from Bernard Butler this past summer, from Johnny's site:

"...To this day I can play every Smiths song, something of which I am very proud.

And that's the traditional folk way of learning. Dylan did it. Bert Jansch [an acoustic folk legend who inspired Jimmy Page, among others] grew up listening to this canon of Scottish folk songs and when he made his first record he had to borrow a guitar to do it because he didn't own one. My folk music was the Smiths, New Order and Joy Division, who were pretty alternative at the time. That was my secret life as a teenager.

I've not bought a new guitar for 10 years. I've got 13 or 14, but I use two all the time. The one I play the most is my 1960 Gibson 355, which cost me ?4,000 in the early 90s - I wouldn't be able to afford it now. I always wanted it. There's a photo of my dad from before I was born in which he has a big DA [duck's ass haircut] and shades and this bumcreaser suit, and I was convinced he was Roy Orbison. He played Orbison records a lot. Orbison had a big red semi-acoustic, too.

It turned out my dad wasn't Orbison after all. But at the start of 1984, Johnny Marr started using a 355, and I remember making this connection when I saw it on the telly and thought, "Right, OK, that's what I want do, and I want do it with that thing as well."

I got one as soon as I could afford it and I use it to death. It's 46 years old now, and an amazing instrument. It's a posher version of the 335. It has more controls and it has double binding on the headstock, where the tuners go, with mother-of-pearl inlay, an ebony fingerboard and a beautiful neck. It feels great under your fingers."

Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby kurt » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:24 pm

Thats awesome!
<div align="left"><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Microsoft Sans Serif--><span style="font-family:Microsoft Sans Serif"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green"><!--/coloro-->Everything you say to me takes me One step closer to the edge</div>

<div align="right">and I'm about to break<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
kurt
Supreme

Postby Still Ill » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:33 pm

Here's the link for the rest, if you're interested.

<a href="http://www.jmarr.com/" target="_blank">here</a>
Go to media and click on the Guardian interview. There's quite a bit more.
:)
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby kurt » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:14 pm

cheers bud :)

kurt
Supreme

Postby elvis » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:44 pm

Yeah in interviews I watched he is always playing a cherry gibson
<a href="http://www.liquidlurker.com/forum" target="_blank">Image</a>
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/elvis_hoax/?chartstyle=greenly" target="_blank">Image </a>
elvis

Re: Johnny's Guitars

Postby joe9tofkent » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:16 am

i'm not sure if anybody else has seen this site but it's bloody good.

http://www.jmarr.com/johnny-marr/johnny ... chives.php

this is johnny's own site i think and this is him talking about his guitars. Oddly enough the Red 335 doesn't feautre which is my favourite of his but it's got some ruddy nice guitars on it.
joe9tofkent

Previous

Return to Johnny Marr