Johnny Marr at Oxfam in Manchester

For all he has done since The Smiths.

Postby Still Ill » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:20 am

Of all the sludge I went through today on Morrissey-solo's general forum, Johnny Marr's name caught my eye. Apparently a few posters had the chance to meet Johnny at the re-opening of a clothing store in Manchester. Johnny was asked about the reunion rumours "it would have to be something MEGA". Johnny doesn't do Smiths songs (save for Meat) because he doesn't feel the lyrics like Morrissey does and his voice doesn't do them justice. Something to that effect. Johnny also stated that he doesn't mind Morrissey playing the Smiths songs, but what does annoy him is that the band does not get the chords right! I guess the Q's got some rumour printed about Morrissey and Marr being seen together. Hm, I wonder if it's the same rumour I mentioned here a while back. How dare I! *feels sheepish* <!--emo&:huh:-->Image<!--endemo--> Anyway, wondered if anyone had heard about this? Good to see Johnny out and about.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:48 pm

Didn't think Johnny went in for shop openings and the like, but I suppose it is for charity.
elko
Site Admin

Postby girl_afraid » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:11 pm

What shop was it the re-opening of? Oxfam?! *confused* Either way, lucky people, meeting Johnny! On an off point, what's his hair like nowadays? It was so insanely cool during The Smiths, and then went rather sharply downhill afterwards...

Q doesn't really mention much about where Moz n' Marr have been discussing things, it just says they have been. Not the most informative article ever, to be honest!
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:14 pm

According to the Manchester News, Oxfam is a charity shop (second-hand in U.S. terms? Has a better ring, I think!) that has been around 20-plus years. Johnny's shopped there forever. A poor musician's store for good finds (I'm paraphrasing, according to him). So Oxfam thought it fit that he re-open the store after it was shut down briefly and given a facelift. Your comment about his hair, Girl Afraid, is what made me reply! I think he looked his best right after he left the Smiths-nice and short, when he was playing in Electronic, thereby trying to shed any ties to the Smiths. (I love his hair in the banner above, too). Long is good too, just not on him! That goes for Andy Rourke, too! Side note, the article also quotes him as not having any kind of relationship with Moz, just 'a tenuous business relationship'. One can only suspect what that means.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:23 pm

Yep, OXFAM is pretty famous round these parts. Its where my mum goes shopping <!--emo&B)-->Image<!--endemo-->
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:34 pm

What kind of store is it, exactly. One small picture of it didn't do it justice.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:57 pm

Charity shop. When poor people's clothes have one too many holes in, they donate it to OXFAM who sell all kinds of shapeless clothes to even poorer people, with the proceeds going to charity. It's 'run' mainly by old women.
elko
Site Admin

Postby girl_afraid » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:03 pm

Yeah, Oxfam is run by volunteers, and they sell second-hand clothes and give all the monies to charity, generally starving African people, I think. Is it Oxfam that has all the "help them to help themselves" adverts...? Ixfam is one of the more 'up-market' charity shops (if any can be referred to as that).

Anyhoo, I'm a bit confused as to why Oxfam ever closed in the first place, they just seem to be constantly there. I always burrow around in charity shops, hoping to find this one really amazing bargain (a mint condition Smiths LP amongst the usual Carpenters and Cliff Richards crap is my ultimate goal), but I never do...

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I love his hair in the banner above, too<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, that's the kind of hair I meant as his best hair <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo--> I think he aged looaaads when he cut his hair, and I prefer funky Stones-esque Johnny... It is quite weird that he chose to remove any Smiths element of his image, whereas Moz stayed like exactly the same. But I suppose it was Johnny who left first, so he severed any ties with The Smiths looooooooooong before Morrissey did.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->'a tenuous business relationship'<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Well, at least it's a relationship of some sort. Any is better than none, so I can still dream!
Last edited by girl_afraid on Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Return to Johnny Marr