Rourke on XFM (Manchester)

What have the rhythm section been up to since The Smiths?

Postby madmancmonkey » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:09 am

If you can on Saturday evenings check him out online (if you don't live near Manc).

Not only is he an ex Smith but he is also a funny chap....

for example when the Arctic Monkeys track Leaving before the lights come on' and it says what time does the bus come at the end? Well when that track ended Rourke said

'What time does the bus come?' Echoing the song, then said 'I think you might have missed it!' We know what he meant even if the non-smiths fans didn't get the joke!
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Postby Disco_dancer_in_a_coma » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:07 pm

mancsmithsfan wrote:If you can on Saturday evenings check him out online (if you don't live near Manc).

Not only is he an ex Smith but he is also a funny chap....

for example when the Arctic Monkeys track Leaving before the lights come on' and it says what time does the bus come at the end? Well when that track ended Rourke said

'What time does the bus come?' Echoing the song, then said 'I think you might have missed it!' We know what he meant even if the non-smiths fans didn't get the joke!

So, my husband plays bass, and he's a huge, HUGE fan of Andy Rourke. In fact, Andy Rourke is the reason he picked up the bass to begin with.

Hubby and I listened to parts of AR's XFM b/cs online a couple of times, and I have to say... I kind of don't GET him. He sounds a little zoned out and dense to me. He's quite funny at times. Other times... He just sounds... weird. To the point where it makes me feel a little sad for him, you know? I have had the debate a number of times with friends... about how Before and After Andy Rourke is the Saddest Story of our Time. ;) My heart goes out to the guy; seems like he's a good person who has had a rough life, a lot -- maybe even most -- of which was his own creation.

I think I might not feel quite as sad for him if he'd just cut his hair, though. :D That hairdo is the worst.

Anybody on the forum ever met him at one of his club DJ gigs? (I'm sure some of you have!) What is he like in person? Nice guy?
Disco_dancer_in_a_coma
Regular

Postby HandsomeDevil » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:27 pm

I've met Rourke once at a gig about a year and a half ago. He's a decent enough guy, but definitely not as warm as Mike Joyce is.
HandsomeDevil
Supreme

Postby Grim O'Grady » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:05 pm

Andy is a sound bloke, met him a few times too, (I've bored enough folk here with the pics). He's one of the dj's on Saturday at Ocean Terminal (Edinburgh) summat to do with that radio station, must be a roadshow eh? Anyhoo I'll prob go down £15 to get in a disco is a bit steep eh? Am I showing my age?

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Disco_dancer_in_a_coma » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:49 am

15 quid is what? about 30 U.S. dollars? That's steep for a disco, but I would pay that in a heartbeat to go gawk at Andy Rourke. So, at these DJ things, does he actually talk to the people in the club? Crazy. It just seems like someone who is such an "icon" type would be more inaccessible? That's pretty cool. I know that my husband would die a happy man if he died after meeting his Bass Idol. :D We've been talking about taking a trip to England. Maybe we could figure out a way to work something like that in. Pipe dream, I guess, but it would be really cool. (In 1986 it would have been REALLY cool for me, as I was crushing hard my ownself!!!)

I truly regret that I did not go to see Johnny Marr and the Healers when they were in Nashville a couple of years ago. Work was killing me, and I just couldn't do it. Silly of me, really. I should have sucked it up and gone.
Disco_dancer_in_a_coma
Regular

Postby Grim O'Grady » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:12 am

Disco_dancer_in_a_coma wrote:15 quid is what? about 30 U.S. dollars? That's steep for a disco, but I would pay that in a heartbeat to go gawk at Andy Rourke. So, at these DJ things, does he actually talk to the people in the club? Crazy. It just seems like someone who is such an "icon" type would be more inaccessible? That's pretty cool. I know that my husband would die a happy man if he died after meeting his Bass Idol. :D We've been talking about taking a trip to England. Maybe we could figure out a way to work something like that in. Pipe dream, I guess, but it would be really cool. (In 1986 it would have been REALLY cool for me, as I was crushing hard my ownself!!!)

I truly regret that I did not go to see Johnny Marr and the Healers when they were in Nashville a couple of years ago. Work was killing me, and I just couldn't do it. Silly of me, really. I should have sucked it up and gone.

not to sure of the exchange rate DDiac but yeah summat around that, thing is there's a few DJ's on so he'll prob only be on 1/2 an hour or so? Well I hope so, I assume he'll be sat around having a drink, so should be able to get a goss with him (fingers crossed).
I've seen Johnny & the Healers a couple of times, the 1st time was in 2000 at the reebok Stadium in Bolton, they where one of the support acts for Oasis, dunno if it was the apathy of the audience or just that they where shit but it was pretty dire (imho), I next saw them a few years later at a much smaller venue (the Academy 3 aka the hop n grape) I think most of the band had changed too they where a tad better but Johnny just didn't come across as the singer (well to me), so the next time I saw 'em was last year at the Manchester v cancer gig & boy has he come on, my expectations where very low but he just blew me away & he started with There Is A Light & did it justice, then after a few Healers numbers he brought Andy on to finish off with another Smiths classic (see J Marr thread for review) his voice has most definately improved because M.E.N. Arena is a massive venue..

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Disco_dancer_in_a_coma » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:11 pm

Thanx, Grim! Great review. I love posts with insights like those!
Disco_dancer_in_a_coma
Regular

Return to Rourke and Joyce