Mike Joyce

What have the rhythm section been up to since The Smiths?

Postby Ezekiel » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:09 pm

I've just moved into uni and the girl next to me (her mums cousin is married to Mike Joyce)! So, I'm going to tag along to the next family reuinion and persuade him to make up with Moz so the Smiths can reform for a few gigs!

I shall persuade him to perform at York uni!
Ezekiel

Postby Still Ill » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:22 pm

<!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--> Nice. I'm a huge Joyce fan.
Almost sounds like 6 degrees of separation there, but any connection's nice! Good Luck with your efforts---and welcome to Strangeways.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Ezekiel » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:49 pm

Thanks for the welcome <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->

I'm trying to get his email address off her! She hasn't spoken to him very much, she didn't really know who the Smiths were! She just heard me talking about them and told me about him!
Ezekiel

Postby rEEdy^^ » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:29 am

you must feel very privaliged!
rEEdy^^
Supreme

Postby Still Ill » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:42 am

Did anyone catch the interview with Joycie on Marc Riley's show tonight on Radio 6? I played it back earlier, he played an instrumental of an early Smiths demo on cassette. He called it the Cowbell Track. I loved what I heard and there is a great bassline midway through and of course Johnny's shimmering guitar.

He then went on to talk about all these rare records he's putting up for auction on ebay tomorrow. He said he doesn't really need them when he knows there's someone out there who'd really value having them.

Listen <a href='http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/mint/' target='_blank'>here</a>. They first talk about him 14 minutes into the show, Mike Joyce comes in 1 hour and 10 minutes into the show.
Last edited by Still Ill on Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:34 am

I've seen the Joycey stuff that's going up on ebay, I won an item for Lynne (Meat is Murder sleeve signed by Mike & Andy) back in December 2003 & arranged to pick it up from the sellers flat (he only lived a few miles away from me), well it was an aladdins cave of rare Smiths records & memorabillia & two yes two drum kits, the guy told me he was going to sell them on behalf of Mike, so I asked him how he came to have all this stuff, it was a room full by the way, they both use to be in a band called The Mighty Wah! but it was just a touring band, he told me that they never released anything has them, that had all been done earlier when 'TMW!' had had some success. Anyway I got to touch 'The Smiths' drum kits & have a look through loads of stuff, one of the more strange items was a chippy list, inc someone who decided upon 'fish' so it was from before everyone was a veggy. There was quite a few white label test pressings that I wanted but he said I'd have to keep my eye open on ebay for them! I'm not in to posters & t-shirts tbh but there was plenty of them, especially the vest type that Mike wore.

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:17 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Grim O'Grady+Nov 28 2005, 09:34 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Grim O'Grady @ Nov 28 2005, 09:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I've seen the Joycey stuff that's going up on ebay, I won an item for Lynne (Meat is Murder sleeve signed by Mike & Andy) back in December 2003 & arranged to pick it up from the sellers flat (he only lived a few miles away from me), well it was an aladdins cave of rare Smiths records & memorabillia & two yes two drum kits, the guy told me he was going to sell them on behalf of Mike, so I asked him how he came to have all this stuff, it was a room full by the way, they both use to be in a band called The Mighty Wah! but it was just a touring band, he told me that they never released anything has them, that had all been done earlier when 'TMW!' had had some success. Anyway I got to touch 'The Smiths' drum kits & have a look through loads of stuff, one of the more strange items was a chippy list, inc someone who decided upon 'fish' so it was from before everyone was a veggy. There was quite a few white label test pressings that I wanted but he said I'd have to keep my eye open on ebay for them! I'm not in to posters & t-shirts tbh but there was plenty of them, especially the vest type that Mike wore.

love

Grim <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Wow! Nice story- Do you happen to know if the fella is still selling things (and if so, by any chance, what was his username on eBay?!) <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
elko
Site Admin

Postby Grim O'Grady » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:02 pm

yep Elks, here's the fellah
<a href='http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZclara2508' target='_blank'>joyces stuff etc</a>

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:01 pm

Cheers pal, I spy a couple of Smiths posters but similar to you I'm not really after owt like that.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Grim O'Grady » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:51 pm

Elks there was tons more stuff than he's got up now, s'pose it'll be interesting to see what else shows up?

love

Grim

Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:55 pm

Grim, I remember you posting a story about that! I would have been in awe at all the relics.

So Joyce's stuff is being sold by riseupandkill <a href='http://search.ebay.com/the-smiths_W0QQfromZR40QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2' target='_blank'>here</a>. Scroll to the bottom of the page.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Des » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:50 pm

interesting

<a href='http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZriseupandkill' target='_blank'>Personal collection</a>
Des
Advanced

Postby Grim O'Grady » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:27 pm

look what I found

nicked from the Star & Garter site

love

Grim

Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:44 pm

I guess all of Joyce's stuff has been taken off ebay. Luckily for fun I was tracking one of the items (the DJ copy of Still Ill), and it shows bidding has ended (abruptly apparently), so it shows up on my ebay. But the others have disappeared. Wonder if Joyce was told about his statement, or if he was contacted by Morrissey's lawyers.

Great pic, Grim.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Return to Rourke and Joyce