Rourke or Joyce

What have the rhythm section been up to since The Smiths?

Postby elko » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:22 am

In part I agree with you (in that the Smiths would almost definately have still been successful without them), but I do think that they were part of forming the sound of The Smiths, and that they would not have been as good without Rourke and Joyce's contributions.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:27 am

No way! The Smiths wouldn't have been the Smiths without Andy and Mike! They added their own unique flavor to each song, and I don't imagine the Smiths would have been nearly so successful if the bass or drums were stronger or weaker in their music, life is in the details! Mike and Andy were a huge part of the Smiths, they were superb musicians, and they definately weren't unimportant!
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:00 am

Anyone paid any attention to Joyce and Rourke recently with the Vinny Peculiar project? They're in the middle of touring and promoting a new record. I haven't listen to any of the recent stuff. A while back I heard some snippets of Vinny's music, remembered it wasn't bad, but I guess I should have another listen before I make any solid judgements!
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:42 pm

Yeah they are on tour, if they are playing Bristol then I will check them out, but it's unlikely.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:18 pm

Did it occur to anyone else that Mike Joyce would make a really good Frankenstein monster?
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:29 pm

Awwww! What made you think of that?! In the early Smiths years he was quite a looker really!

Though now that you mention it, he may have a touch of the Frank about him, but not enough to be my first choice if I decided to make a film of it...
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:11 pm

It's the ears that do it.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:27 pm

What?!! Mike has aged well. He looks better now than both Andy and Johnny. But I admit, never thought much of him from a physical standpoint, until I met him. He is better looking in person, especially when he smiles. Sounds silly, but he's so much warmer than any of the others, besides maybe Johnny. But point taken, he would make a good Frankie, I say that reluctantly. You know, Johnny has the best look in that banner above, now that I'm really staring at it!
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:11 pm

Oh, looking at the banner, it's definitely the neck! It's really thick-set... And also possibly the way he's kinda staring straight at the camera in a sort of "uuhhhhhhhhh" zombie-type fashion. I do like Johnny's shirt!

I agree Still Ill, I think Mike's aged really well, and question - WHEN DID YOU MEET HIM?????!!!!!!!! <!--emo&:o-->Image<!--endemo--> And I read something about him talking to the fans after the gigs and stuff, and thought that was so sweet!
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:49 am

Mike and Andy did a Dj tour in March right when Morrissey begun his tour (whom I saw just a couple of weeks later!). Saw them at a small venue, SATH Smiths cover band performed first, then they 'spun' records afterwards for a good 2 hours. They were very laid back. Andy stayed behind the booth, but Mike was all over the dance floor with about 20 of us. He is very, very nice and chatty. Thickest accent, it was hard to follow his conversation, mostly small talk. But he clearly enjoys hanging out with people. Andy's more reserved, but very accessible. They seemed to have a great time. Had some stuff signed by them and took pictures. It was a phenomenol night, almost dreamlike! Johnny is all that's left for me to see and I forgot to mention from the Oxfam article, the Healers are recording with a record due out next spring. I won't miss Johnny next time!
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:25 am

In order to honor Halloween...GO MIKE! Rock it, Frankenstein! <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Previous

Return to Rourke and Joyce