Rourke or Joyce

What have the rhythm section been up to since The Smiths?

Postby elko » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:12 pm

Would The Smiths have succeeded without Rourke and/or Joyce. Who was the most important factor to their success, the drummer or the bassist?
I would have to say the Andy Rourke was more important to their success, because basically he came up with more ideas musically.

elko
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:56 am

I'd say both. Though I agree Andy did contribute musically, I think Mike was very instrumental in injecting his drumming style with the Smiths. (In another life, I'd would have been a drummer!) Remember, his background was with punk influenced bands, and I think his style was varied and intense with the Smiths. I read he had a tough time adjusting to the slow pace of the mellower songs. I wish Songs That Saved Your Life divulged a little more on how he came up with HIS contributions, considering his involvement with the book. Good Lord, if a staunch Moz fan read this, I'd be hearing about the replaceable lawnmower parts bit. I actually have a downloaded snippet (about 3 mintues worth) of a practice session featuring Mike on drums and practicing Rusholme Ruffians, with the guys (I'm assuming all except Morrissey) yelling and laughing about.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby reckless_rik » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:14 am

I`ve always (personally) favoured the basslines over the drums, although that`s not to diminish the importance of the drumming! I think the basslines are quite often very jazz-like, which adds a strange little twist to the music.
---
The bloke wot does The Illustrated Smiths
<a href='http://www.headstaggers.com/smiths' target='_blank'>http://www.headstaggers.com/smiths</a>
reckless_rik

Postby Still Ill » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:27 am

I agree. Very distinct, they almost stand as melodies on their own. I love old Motown R & B, which have a lot of deep basslines. Not enough credit was given to this rhythm section. I'm listening to Headmaster Ritual right now. Great bassline thoughout!
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby reckless_rik » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:41 am

I totally agree with you!

I absolutely love the bassline in This Charming Man too; it`s also a bit complicated (for my tiny brain anyway)!
---
The bloke wot does The Illustrated Smiths
<a href='http://www.headstaggers.com/smiths' target='_blank'>http://www.headstaggers.com/smiths</a>
reckless_rik

Postby elko » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:28 pm

On some songs the bass just makes the piece for me. Songs like Rusholme Ruffians and Barbarism Begins At Home would be nothing without their basslines.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:30 am

The drumming and bass are so amazing that it wuold be impossible to pick one on merit, I just prefer Andy because he was amazingly gorgeous circa This Charming Man *sheepish grin*
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:53 am

For your viewing pleasure, you should look for Handy Andy (how coincidental is his namesake) on BBC's America's Garden Rivals. It is Andy 20 years back!
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:04 pm

Handy Andy is famous in America? <!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo-->
Please tell me it is the English Handy Andy?
elko
Site Admin

Postby girl_afraid » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:37 pm

Whooop, Handy Andy! I love Changing Rooms with a pathetic passion, I loved that episode where they all swapped jobs and Laurence had to be the carpenter dude... that rocked! Anyway... back on topic.

I agree, I've always preferred the basslines, they're just so cool! Especially This Charming Man, that song just rocks, I love the way you can hear all their separate influences on it. There was this really amusing quote from the Q Smiths special in an interview with Mike (I think) and it was after this rehearsal, where he'd been manically bashing away on the drums and Andy came up to him and was like "You know the bass guitar and the bass drum? They're meant to go together!" <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--> I love that quote...

So, my vote goes to Mr Rourke, although that doesn't make Mike any less important.
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:10 pm

I've never managed to sit through an entire episode of Changing Rooms.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:28 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Aug 27 2004, 04:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Aug 27 2004, 04:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Handy Andy is famous in America? <!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo-->
Please tell me it is the English Handy Andy? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Famous only to anyone who has cable and enjoys all things English! And yes, it is THE one. I did a double-take when I saw AND heard his name the first time. This is slightly off topic, but speaking of look-alikes, there is another throw-back to the Smiths hey-day. Cash in the Attic and House Doctor's Alistair Appleton is a dead-ringer for a young Moz!
Yes, it's my chance to see a little bit of England in these shows.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:36 pm

Not my favourite bit of England to be honest, the daytime TV <!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo-->
elko
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:29 pm

One of my favorite parts of England is on TV...Coupling! <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby chrisarclark » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:46 am

both equally unimportant. lawnmower parts.
"I'm just passing through here on my way to somewhere civilized and maybe I'll even arrive, maybe I'll even arrive..."
chrisarclark
Advanced

Next

Return to Rourke and Joyce