Marr and Rourke

What have the rhythm section been up to since The Smiths?

Postby elko » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:22 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Still Ill+Jan 3 2006, 09:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Still Ill @ Jan 3 2006, 09:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Yeah, this is definitely Andy's shining hour, should be under his thread. May try to move it without  screwing the threads up. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Seemed to work okay <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->the two will lead a host of Manchester-based artists in a charity concert to raise money for Christie's Hospital in the city.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Does this mean they are headlining <!--emo&:blink:-->Image<!--endemo--> (I can't imagine them being a bigger draw than New Order, Badly Drawn Boy etc, but the article sort of implies that.)

Here is the word from the JMarr site, but I suppose things have changed since this?

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->December 16th 2005 | Johnny and the Healers play Manchester Versus Cancer charity concert
The big news is Johnny and the Healers are confirmed to appear at the Manchester Versus Cancer charity concert at the Manchester Evening News Arena on January 28th 2006. The concert is being organized by Andy Rourke and will include performances by New Order and Doves. Just to make it clear: THE SMITHS WILL NOT BE RE-FORMING AT THIS CONCERT. But there is a rumour that Andy Rourke may join the Healers for a song but we'll have to see what happens. Tickets go on sale Saturday 17th December.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Last edited by elko on Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:59 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Grim O'Grady+Jan 3 2006, 03:41 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Grim O'Grady @ Jan 3 2006, 03:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I thought it had been discussed somewhere on this forum, anyhoo GU & I have our tickets sorted so we'll see you there. Anyone else from here get there tickets?
It ought to be relocated to the Andy Rourke thread tbh has he's the main bloke behind it all, any speculation has to what songs they will play?
There is a light must be a cert?

love

Grim <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Lucky you, Grim and GU!
A full report had better come from you after the show. Oh, and I trust you'll keep your camcorder handy? We still have high hopes that one day we'll figure out how to post video files on here! <!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo-->
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:24 pm

this was in yesterdays City (v man u) programme.

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:05 pm

well the time is nearly upon us, we are travelling by train 10.30am tomorrow (Saturday), get's us into Manchester by 3.30pm (ffs).

Elks so 50/1 on Morrissey appearance, hmmn I'll take those odds <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
Well best go pack a case (of beer for the journey)

I'll let you know how it goes, Monday.

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:37 am

Grim and Lynne, have a wonderfully terrific time tomorrow! I hope the concert gets some good press and reviews. Have a safe journey and be sure to post a detailed account of the concert and trip!
Last edited by Still Ill on Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:38 am

cheers S.I., will do (hopefully with pics)

love

Grim

Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:02 pm

well we've just got back from a thrilling weekender! Johnny started his Healers set with 'There Is A Light...' & then got Andy up for their final song 'How Soon Is Now?', last time I went to see the Healers & heard Johnny sing I thought to stick to what you do best Johnny but last night he was on song (so to speak). The whole event was magic & when it comes out on dvd it's got to be a must for all concerned. Met up with a whole bunch of Smiths fans, new & old.
Even Morrissey the 23rd being left on the train (in the toilet) & ending up in Peterboro' was a laugh, he eventually caught us up in Manchester 3 hours after we got there, numbtie!
I'll shove the pics etc up in the next day or so.
Off to lie down now.

Love

Grim

Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:00 pm

Sounds great. Glad you had a good time <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
elko
Site Admin

Postby Grim O'Grady » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:46 am

here's some pics from my phone

this is Johnny & Badly Drawn Boy (I think?), they flashed up on the big screen text ROCK to some 5 digit number & for £1.50 you'll get photo's from Mick Rock of tonights bands. So I did & this was my £1.50's worth.

this was the view from our seats, well we had been drinking from 10.30am <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->

New Order being Joy Division, it looks like something from Big Brother (& I'm talking about Geo Orwell's 1984 - not some sad tv show btw).

this is the man who want to the toilet on the train just before arriving at York train station & didn't get off to get the connection over to Manchester, he detoured via Peterborough & therefore took 3 hours longer to get to Manchester <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--> . This was taken on our way home awaiting the connection from York back to Edinburgh.

more later (hopefully)

love

Grim

Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:29 pm

Just watching my filming, we was sat way to close to the speakers the sound is extremely bass heavy & booming to distortion my wee camera mic obviously couldn't handle it very well & somehow I managed to hit the pause button 1/2 way thru recording 'There Is A Light...' but I realised & hit the record again so there's a jump in the middle, the picture is shakey too because everyone went mad dancing & bouncing about! I got caught filming 1/2 way thru 'How Soon Is Now?' that he played with Andy Rourke, I didn't stop recording though I just put the camera down until the security bloke had gone away so the pic goes off a bit too, heehee! He kept coming back to me later on in the gig (because I was continuing to film other bits & he finally said if I see you filming again I'll confiscate the camera, so I switched off) & danced off most of the alky.
If any of the images off the dvd are any good I'll stick 'em up here.

love

Grim

***edit***

I've stuck 'em in Johnny's section because it's mostly him!
Last edited by Grim O'Grady on Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:05 pm

this is the transcript of how he introduces Andy before they play 'How Soon Is Now?'.
"I'm going to introduce somebody who
I first played with this guy at school in 1978
the last time I played with him in 1987
kinda too long really innit?
we've done some good things & we've done some not so good things & we've done some great things
think now times to play again together
Mr Andy Rourke."
(well it sounded like what he said tbh)

also here's the programme scans, Johnny was page 8 & Andy was page 9.

love

Grim

Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:25 pm

Thanks for the pics. I love the program scans!
Was that a picture of Morrisseythe23rd I'd read about on the other side. The one who got lost?
Yes, the one pic is very '1984', funny comment there.

I downloaded from a link at solo, the short video where Johnny introduces Andy and a few seconds of HSIN. Anyone else seen it?

Grim, sounds like you had a cracking good time!! I have a funny vision of you and your camera trying to compete with the night's events. Not an easy thing to do, I bet, trying to capture the sights and sounds. Everyone who gets to see your footage thanks you, I'm sure!

I forgot to add: Your thoughts on the Healers? Didn't realize you'd seen them. Do you remember what 'old' songs of theirs they played?
Last edited by Still Ill on Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:40 pm

I've posted Johnny's intro to Andy on Gmail. It's an mpg.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Previous

Return to Rourke and Joyce