best music videos

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby rubygirl » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:44 pm

I was wondering what are your musings on music videos in general? Do you think they contribute to the overall appeal of the songs?
What in a video clip is usually appealing to you?

And what are your favourite ones?
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:51 pm

Most of them are just laughable, but it makes me think deeply about music and what people are actually trying to achieve. I mean, next time you watch a video, think 'what is the aim here?', and most of the time it seems so obvious they are just going through the motions to make a successful track. Like that R 'n' B Hit Maker joke you posted, or whatever it was.

I don't think I've ever seen one I really liked, but the Franz Ferdinand ones are interesting.
elko
Site Admin

Postby rubygirl » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:02 pm

I think you are very right, Elko. It is always so easy to see the formula or whatever behind the video and its aims. This is saddening, 'cause I like to think about videos as a piece of art - but of course, most of them are far from that. They jsut raflect the satte of music in general maybe - songs are meant to be pieces of art, but in reality the majority of songs cannot be called "art".
Sad.

I personally like videos that are funny. Like, for example, Talk Talk's It's A Shame - it's a funny little track with a funny video.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:25 pm

Hmm, not seen that.

Thinking about it, some of the Blur videos are good. Not too meaningful, just enjoyable. Like a lot of their music I guess.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:03 pm

I think some of Radiohead's are pretty mental.

I like "Karma Police", "No Surprises" and whatever the one is where everyone's lying in the street, and the fella wants to know why; whatever song that one's for.

Postby Noonan McKane » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:04 pm

That was me^
i shouted out 'who killed the kennedys?' when after all it was you and me
Noonan McKane
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:40 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Guest+Apr 1 2005, 11:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest @ Apr 1 2005, 11:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I think some of Radiohead's are pretty mental.

I like "Karma Police", "No Surprises" and whatever the one is where everyone's lying in the street, and the fella wants to know why; whatever song that one's for.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Guest+Apr 1 2005, 11:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest @ Apr 1 2005, 11:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I think some of Radiohead's are pretty mental.

I like "Karma Police", "No Surprises" and whatever the one is where everyone's lying in the street, and the fella wants to know why; whatever song that one's for.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Oh, yes, absolutely. Weird and mental. And I always keep forgetting the title of the track with the man lying in the street. Was it called "Just"?
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Beorn_J » Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:24 am

yup thats the video for just

'you do it to yourself, you do, and thats what really hurts...'

<!--emo&B)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Beorn_J
Supreme

Postby Miserable Liar » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:54 pm

thats great that song, and the video.
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:51 pm

When I come to think about, maybe the video I've liked the most recently is Goldfrapp's Strict Machine - I could even use the word gorgeous <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo--> Love the song too.

Also Popular by Nada Surf - I am a big fan of this song as a whole.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Lazy Line Painter Jamie » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:53 am

Having not had MTV2 for about 4 years, and not being willing to sit through the $hite freeview music channels with the awful text messages scrolling along the bottom of the screen like The Box or Hitz I don't often see the latest music videos.

Best ones that I have seen would be...

Mansun - 'Taxloss' (Throw £5k off a balcony at Waterloo train station in £5 notes at around 8.45am and film the melee created. Just genius!)

The Smiths - 'There's a Light/Stop me If You Think...' (Same video for two songs, with all the Smiths fans and Moz riding around Salford on vintage cycles)

Hefner - 'Christian Girls' (Youth tries to charm young girl by flying a kite down the street. Really goes beautifully with the sentimental content of Hefners songs)

Belle & Sebastian - 'Step Into My Office, Baby' (Probably their worst song, but best video with Richard Colburn starring as the office window cleaner in a nod to the bawdy "Confessions Of A Window Cleaner" type films in the late 60's)

Badly Drawn Boy - 'Disallusion' (BDB trots through NY in a yellow TAXI tee shirt giving folk piggy backs. Oh how I wished a 25 stone mammoth wanted a lift)

The Housemartins - 'Happy Hour' (Animated pub antics with the Hull foursome, in one of the best vids of the 80's. See also A Ha's 'Take On Me')

Yo La Tengo - 'Sugarcube' (Yo La Tengo are the teachers at a Rock School. 10 years later the film "School Of Rock" was made)

I'm sure there's more.
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:purple'>"1 beat, 2 beat, 3 beat, sugarbeat
4 beat, 5 beat, 6 beat, wheatabeat
7 beat 8 beat 9 beat, 'artbeat.. my 'art is beating for you... Nice innit?" </span></span>
Lazy Line Painter Jamie
Regular

Postby alabaster » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:46 pm

happy hour - the housemartins, cause of fatboy slim dancing stupidly and the phil jupitus cameo

the smiths - what difference does it make - not a proper video, granted, but i love the way the audience are dancing, especially that black guy at the very beginning, he always makes me laugh

the cure - friday im in love happy upbeat, euphoric, just like the song
alabaster

Postby rubygirl » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:59 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Lazy Line Painter Jamie+Apr 5 2005, 10:52 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lazy Line Painter Jamie @ Apr 5 2005, 10:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
The Housemartins - 'Happy Hour' (Animated pub antics with the Hull foursome, in one of the best vids of the 80's. See also A Ha's 'Take On Me')

Yo La Tengo - 'Sugarcube' (Yo La Tengo are the teachers at a Rock School. 10 years later the film "School Of Rock" was made)

<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Oh, these two are pure fun and enjoyment! <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo--> I have them both taped. ( As well as the "School Of Rock" movie).
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:32 pm

Too bad my website is still under constructions ; it will contain a list of my favourite videos, songs, lyrics and album covers, all with explanations why I like them... Would be so handy to just give a URL now :)

Anyway, I will name a few, though probably forget a few as well. For the complete list: visit my upcoming site once it's done...

EVANESCENCE - My immortal: the black-and-white gives the video a very sad undertone, that suits with the feelings of the song. The video is simple and basic, yet very powerful.

ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN - The killing moon: Ian's face lit by only the moonlight, it's mysterious, dark and romantic and therefor suits the song perfectly.

THE CURE - Why can't I be you: eighties mockery

THE CURE - Lovesong

DEPECHE MODE - Enjoy the silence

SHAKESPEAR'S SISTER - Stay

INDOCHINE - Marilyn: a very gothic video (watch the uncensored version though)

MARILYN MANSON - Tainted love : just plain gothic

MARILYN MANSON - Dope hat : bizarre and slightly sinister, the video is unique in its own way

MARILYN MANSON - The nobodies : macabre and eerie, it sets the perfect decor for a song which complains against the decay of morals in society
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:01 pm

TORI AMOS - Crucify & Cornflake Girl
These are two of my all time faves, without a doubt.

DEPECHE MODE - I Feel You
Such a passionate song, such a cool video!
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to Music Chat