[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Strangeways • View topic - Right now...

Right now...

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:18 pm

A smiths song I am getting into having not liked it previously is I don't Owe you anything which I am obsessively listening to on repeat on the iPod everytime I have to go out!!

Postby girl_afraid » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:21 pm

I seem to have been overdosing on Radiohead a little bit lately, I went on a mad video downloading spree last night, and I've just been listening to The Bends. Suede's debut also arrived the other day, so I've been listening to that rather a lot too, it really is amazing, but right at this very moment I'm listening to I Know It's Over. I was in such dire need of a Smiths injection.

Turns out my vinyl copy of The Queen Is Dead is warped though, and that's why it skips <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo--> It's also really dirty, where the hell can I get stuff to clean it?? I thought I could just clean it whilst playing it, and get all the dust etc. off the stylus at the end, but according to my dad it's TOO dirty and the clumps of dust also make it skip. <!--emo&:unsure:-->Image<!--endemo-->
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby reclamation » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:47 pm

Nine Inch Nails - Hurt [live]

<!--emo&^_^-->Image<!--endemo--> getting ready for seeing them live in March <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
[size=1]Slytherin pride/size]
reclamation
Supreme

Postby tallulahtaurus » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:39 pm

I'm listening to Suede right now too, my album having finally arrived, very very good I can see why all the fuss about Suede now!!

I am alternating between this and Roxy Music and have a mini obsession about That Joke isn't funny anymore, sublime tear evoking bit of music that it is.

That sucks re you album Girl Afraid, I have recently been spending far too much student loan on smiths singles on vinyl and so far (fingers crossed, hopefully I don't jinx it) they've been okay. Makes you wonder what they've been doing to the record for it to get in such a state!!

I only know of one Nine Inch Nail song and that is Perfect Drug, would you say that is indicative of their work Reclamation?

Aaaah so many bands to check out so little time and money...Doh!!
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby reclamation » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:47 pm

Madonna - Rescue Me.
reclamation
Supreme

Postby elko » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:19 pm

Neighbourhood #1 - The Arcade Fire
elko
Site Admin

Postby reclamation » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:45 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-tallulahtaurus+Jan 17 2005, 04:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tallulahtaurus @ Jan 17 2005, 04:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I only know of one Nine Inch Nail song and that is Perfect Drug, would you say that is indicative of their work Reclamation? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Well, TPD was sort of an aside to what Trent was doing, as far as I'm aware it was written for the soundtrack to Lost Highway between "proper" NIN albums, so it's not really all that indicative of Trent's work.
Having said that though, there isn't really a particular song or album that really sums up NIN since they're all so different. It really depends on the mood you're in & the kind of music you usually like.
"Pretty Hate Machine" is pretty 80s synth/electro-industrial sounding [but nowhere near as jarring & angry as a lot of other industrial albums & a lot more melodic & poppy], "Broken" [which is an EP] is more angry-sounding & uses more guitars, "The Downward Spiral" is pretty much a masterpiece but one that's difficult to get into. It combines the loud & angry elements of Broken & other industrial bands with more ambient stuff & it has possibly one of the most beautiful songs ever written on it, "Hurt", which you might have heard Johnny Cash cover.
& "The Fragile", well by all accounts it's either a complete masterpiece or a very patchy affair. Personally I would say a masterpiece although it has a few tracks that are skipworthy. It's pretty much in the same vein as the Downward Spiral only it's not quite so dark for the most part & again it's quite difficult to get into just because of the fact that it's two disks & quite experimental.
I'd recommend you get "Still", if you can, which is an extra album/EP which was packaged with the limited edition of their live album, And All That Could Have Been. It's a short compilation of acoustic versions of already released NIN songs & a few newer ones. Probably the most "indie" of all their albums it's got some really beautiful tracks on that I'd imagine would appeal to Smiths fans because they're very lyrically deep & musically they're the nearest to what I think you guys would like. <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
reclamation
Supreme

Postby tallulahtaurus » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:21 pm

Thanks I shall go see if I can check them out...!! If I do I'll let you know what I thought!! <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby reclamation » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:57 pm

<!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo--> Cool.

Assemblage 23 - Disappoint [negative format mix]
reclamation
Supreme

Postby patrick » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:59 pm

The new album by The Dears.
patrick

Postby girl_afraid » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:30 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-patrick+Jan 20 2005, 02:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (patrick @ Jan 20 2005, 02:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> The new album by The Dears. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Oh, No Cities Left? What do you think of it? I quite like it, although I don't really understand all the Smiths comparisons people are making, the guy's voice sounds JUST like Damon Albarn to me... Some of the lyrics are quite Smiths-y, I guess, but they're a bit like what Morrissey would write on an off-day, rather than top-quality classic stuff. Eh well, it's still a good album.

Right now I'm listening to Blue Monday on New Order (all my music on iTunes is on random, a very exhilerating experience...), but one of my absolute favourite songs at the moment is Everyone Thinks I'm Paranoid by Apartment. It's a really great song, but so far I've only heard it on XFM, I can't find it on Soulseek or general download sites at all, and I don't think it's released for a few weeks, so I'll just have to wait. I did find a site where you could stream it but I didn't save the address. <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo-->
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:38 am

King Of Carrot Flowers Pt 1 - Neutral Milk Hotel. Top quality song, kid of folky. Although! As I speak, the track changes, and so do these words...Mother Nature's Son - The Beatles, is also good, and I learnt how to play it the other day, which was nice.
elko
Site Admin

Postby elko » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:56 am

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Jan 16 2005, 01:54 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Jan 16 2005, 01:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Right now I'm listening to a band called Strangelove, and was wondering whether anyone has heard of them. They split up in about '98 I think, but anyway, my second cousin was in them, and though I haven't seen him for maybe two years, I saw his parents the other day and it inspired my to give them another listen. Anyway they're quite good, if not spectacular. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
An update on this, I've changed my views. Unfortunatley they're crap, which is a shame as I really wanted to like them. Decent enough music, but forgettable, and the singer is just an arse.
elko
Site Admin

Postby fifteen_minutes » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:54 am

Andy You're A Star! by The Killers, my fave track off the cd.
fifteen_minutes

Postby elko » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:58 pm

Talent Is An Asset - Sparks
elko
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Music Chat