Misunderstood songs

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:02 pm

Some songs are very straight-forward in their message and meaning, although there's some songs who became very famous for something they didn't intend at all. List the most common misunderstood songs here + what they were REALLY about.

* "Every breat you take" - The Police:
what everyone thinks: it is a lovesong
what it is really about: it is about stalking, as confirmed by Sting himself. The song is about obsession with a person and about stalking in a legally offensive way, the "I'll be watching you" has to be taken very literarly.

* "Don't leave home" - Dido
what everyone thinks: it's a lovesong
what it's really about: being obsessed with a person and not leaving him any space. "Close the blinds and shut the door, you won't need other friends anymore" is key in this song.

* "The killing moon" - Echo & The Bunnymen
what everyone thinks: it's a lovesong ("under blue moon I saw you, so cruelly you take me up in your arms" // "so cruelly you kissed me, your lips' magic world, the sky all hung with jewels")
what it is really about: religion. Ian McCulloch has explained the true meaning of the song in the Bunnymen biography. It is about religion and how religion stops you from experiencing earthly joys (such as love, but the focus of the song is religion). The chorus says "Fate up against your will, through the thick and thin. He will wait until you gave yourself to Him" - the He and Him refer not to another lover, they refer to God: the girl in the song refrains from any earthly romance because of her religious believes. Ian McCulloch told about this song: "I thought everyone would get it, that it's so easy, but they don't get it. Everyone thinks it's about a dude and a girl under a lamppost. But it's not, it's about God".

* "Baba O'Reily" - The Who
what lot of people think: it's about teenage angst, or teen depression
what it's really about: the Vietnam war. Pete Townshend declared this in an interview. The "teenage wasteland" is not about the age 'teenage' but about the ten-years-lasting war. The song is about a North Vietnamese who escapes south of the border with his girlfriend. The line "I don't need to fight to prove I'm right" is about refusing to use violence while defending your ideals.

* "I alone" - Live
what the world thinks: it's about love
what it's really about: religion and how religious dogma's expect believers to believe without questioning ("I alone love you, I alone tempt you" is God speaking to his believers, also the line "It's easier not to be wise" refers to believing without questioning). The lyrics and video refer to a Bible passage.

* "One" - U2
what people think: it's a song about a happy romance. Often played on weddings as opening dance.
what it's really about: it's about breaking up after a failed romance. "You ask me to enter, but then you make me crawl, and I can't keep holding on to what you got, when all you got is hurt" sings Bono. The Edge has often asked people not to play it at weddings, because the song is really about when love fails to last.

* "tsunami" - Manic Street Preachers
what many people think: an interracial lovesong where the singer falls in love with some Japanese girl
what it is really about: about the strength of fate that can break you down when you least suspect, but also about the strength of the power that can make you stand up again. Both forces are represented by the tsunami as metaphor. Also, the song refers hidden references to the 'Silent Twins', the sisters Gibbons who were torn apart and refused to speak until one of them died, then the remaining sister suddenly decided to speak again. This is often linked to the disappearance of Richey Edwards, after which the band decided to stand up again and Nicky Wire started to write (speak) the lyrics on his own.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Rodchenko » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:09 am

Born in the USA - Bruce Springsteen

What everyone thinks: A right-wing patriotic anthem
What it is: An attack to the Vietnam war which has caused a lot of people in Springsteens generation a great deal of pain nd misery....
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Are You Loathsome Tonight?
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Rodchenko
Smiths Nut!

Postby some_dizzy_whore_1804 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:01 pm

anyone got anymore? I really like this topic!

And now you know the truth about me, you won't see me anymore!
But i'm still fond of you...oh oh
some_dizzy_whore_1804
Supreme

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:22 pm

well, I posted the most notorious ones I know. I'll dig for some more, but others may have a few as well? ;)
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Return to Music Chat