UK Music Hall Of Fame

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby elko » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:50 am

So if you having been watching the UK Music Hall Of Fame, who would be your choices for each decade?

(nominees can be found <a href='http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/H/halloffame/' target='_blank'>here</a>)

I would go with...

50's - Miles Davis
60's - Beach Boys
70's - David Bowie
80's - Hmm, The Smiths
90's - Radiohead

There is a good arguement for a lot of other acts, but I have just gone for the ones whose music I enjoy the most. Overall I think the show has been actually pretty good, but I was suprised at the automatically included artists - Beatles and Elvis sure, but U2, Bob Marley and Madonna?
elko
Site Admin

Postby girl_afraid » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:57 pm

I sort of agree with you, Elko, I can see why Bob Marley's in there, but U2??? I know they had to pick one from each decade, but still it's ridiculous that Dylan and Bowie aren't in there automatically and U2 are. I mean, Bowie single-handedly invented like 4 music genres, while U2 have (in my opinion) had 4 good songs.

I haven't seen the 50's one yet (I was out so I taped it and haven't had time to watch it yet), so I'm gonna guess on that one, but my others aaaare:

90's: I'd like Radiohead to win it, but I think Nirvana probably will.
80's: Um, this band called The Smiths. Dunno how any of you feel about them. <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->
70's: Bowie. I love The Clash, but if we're going for musical contribution in general, than definitely Bowie.
60's: Bob Dylan or Hendrix, but probably Dylan.
50's: Errrr...Chuck Berry possibly. Can't really make a decision until I watch the show.
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:12 pm

After careful consideration (and actually watching the show), I've changed my 50's vote to Little Richard, although I wouldn't be too fussed if Buddy Holly won.

What annoyed me about that was the way loads of the 50's artists were mostly successful before the 50's... I mean I know they were really influential and wouldn't have been able to fit in any other decade, but it seems a bit pointless to make all this fuss about having the decades thing if even the organisers don't really stick to it (like Joy Division being in the 80's programme even though they were only around for half a year of the 80's!).
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I dunno...
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:32 am

I tried to make a mental note of the bands mentioned in each decade and it's just too wide to categorize. Nirvana is just too over-rated in my opinion. Their myth (with Cobain's death) was bigger than their music. They maybe jumpstarted the whole grunge thing, but Soundgarden was a much better group. I have to agree with Noonan about Madonna and U2, and Michael Jackson, while we're at it. The 60's? Anything connected to Motown. 70's? Led Zeppelin and The Clash. Now I'm just ranting and not making any real point but to name some favorites. <!--emo&:huh:-->Image<!--endemo-->
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:16 am

ROBBIE WILLIAMS?!?!?! Oh, come on. No offense to him or anything, but there were better choices. Michael Jackson...yeah, I can see that (Has anyone else played the game Moonwalker??? hehe). Rolling Stones and Queen, though, total thumbs up.
Last edited by Pashernate_Lover on Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:49 pm

Well the final is tonight, looking forward to it. Does anyone actually expect The Smiths to get in? I'm sure they have a chance, but I doubt they will.
elko
Site Admin

Postby girl_afraid » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:38 am

WTF???? ROBBIE WILLIAMS????? What the hell has he ever contributed to music? He's just an arrogant twat who can't even sing!!

Queen - yay! I would have preferred Bowie to win but Queen rock too <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->

Stones - not my choice but I can see why they got in

Michael Jackson - again, not my preferred choice but his early work is really cool, just a shame that that gets overshadowed by his later personal life <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo-->

Clif Richard - you really have got to be kidding. Nothing else to say on this matter. <!--emo&:blink:-->Image<!--endemo-->

I dunno...
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Return to Music Chat