Echo & the Bunnymen

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby lilybett » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:36 pm

Do any of you like them?

Anyone else seeing them later this month? I can't wait! I'm seeing them in Liverpool the week before el Moz!
I will not change and I will not be nice!
lilybett

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:05 pm

We already had an EATB thread, but anyway...

To me, Echo & The Bunnymen are the best band ever. No one comes even close. The music, the dreamy mysterious atmosphere, the vocals, the meaningful lyrics, ... Echo & The Bunnymen are pure perfection. I have seen this band more than any other band (even toured through England for a week to see them multiple times in a week in different cities), have all records and a lot of singles, ... I don't really easily idolise with people, but if I do have an idol, then it is definitely Ian McCulloch. The Bunnymen changed my look on music and learnt me to appreciate music in a deeper, more meaningful way, my outlook on arts changed completely thanks to the Bunnymen. Ocean Rain is my favourite album of all time, although Heaven Up Here and Evergreen are superb as well. And if you'd ask me my favourite 10 songs ever, about half of them would be from this band.

I will stop now because otherwise I'm typing all day long :D But, just to make the facts clear: Echo & The Bunnymen, best band in the history of music.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby lilybett » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:37 am

Surely not the best band ever. Smiffs take that title. Bunnymen are cool as, though. Ian Mc Culloch gives me jokes. Anyone who speaks out about the public health risk that is Bono is good in my book.

Love Belfast, btw. I am going to retire there. Well, probably more Portaferry, to be precise.
I will not change and I will not be nice!
lilybett

Postby elsa » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:17 am

I love them. At times McCulloch's vocals sends a shiver down my spine.
<!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Arial Black--><span style="font-family:Arial Black"><!--/fonto-->We are joined in the ideological cuddle<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
elsa

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:23 pm

lilybett wrote:Surely not the best band ever. Smiffs take that title. Bunnymen are cool as, though. Ian Mc Culloch gives me jokes. Anyone who speaks out about the public health risk that is Bono is good in my book.

Love Belfast, btw. I am going to retire there. Well, probably more Portaferry, to be precise.

I personally am a Smiths fan, just like I also am devotely into Placebo, Bauhaus, A Perfect Circle, etc etc --- but the Bunnymen come first above all. To me they're the most unique music band that ever saw the light of day. Without EATB it's doubtful that I'd ever like the Smiths or APC for example: it's the Bunnymen who learnt me to look at music in a different, deeper way. They turned me from a music fan into an arts fan. There's a few bands that come close (including the Smiths) but my personal nr 1 are the Bunnymen, without a single doubt.

Nothing more frustrating by the way than being a Bunnymen fan in Liverpool. They only promote the Beatles FFS! Nothing wrong with the Beatles, they're a very good band, but I personally prefer the Bunnymen anytime, they move me in a way the Beatles never can. I understand Liverpool and its tourism office want to promote their most famous sons, but a bit of promotion for their other bands (Liverpool has such a nice music scene...) would be not too much to ask. I stand by my idols though and defend EATB at anytime, last time in Liverpool I even deliberately wore my EATB fan shirt all the time, and now and then I indeed ran into a local coming to me and saying "I know Echo & The Bunnymen, they're very good!" :D That's promoting my band, I'd say!

Ian is my only true idol in life. I rarely idolise with people, but Ian's the one exception. That man is the best lyricist and vocalist in history IMHO. I'd almost become a true stalker/groupie if it wasn't for my straightness :ph34r:
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:19 pm

I thought I'd better update this topic about "my boys" ...

Echo & The Bunnymen are very busy recording their new album, which will be for sale before the summer. The band also celebrates 30 years of existance next year, so the anniversary combined with the new album will bring a new world tour to look forward to! During the annual december concerts in Liverpool, the band will already play a couple of new songs for the first time (goddamnit I have not enough money for the trip :( )

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Re: Echo & the Bunnymen

Postby Truman Capote » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:12 am

Smashing Pumpkins - Lips Like Sugar (Echo and the Bunnymen cover)
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Re: Echo & the Bunnymen

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:53 pm

Good cover but, although one of their better known songs, not anywhere close to one of the best Bunnymen songs. But must say, the Pumpkins do a good job, this cover is really decent. Nowhere near the original, but the Bunnymen have a divine status to me so I doubt I'll ever have a band coming close to them...

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Return to Music Chat