Joy Division

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:23 pm

Maybe now that the film about Ian Curtis' life is in the cinemas worldwide, let's start a topic to discuss one of the most brilliant bands of the seventies. Despite their short existance, JD left a landmark on the music world and I would almost say they inspired and thus helped to create the whole goth movement and new-wave. Of all dead musicians, Ian Curtis is one of those I miss the most. He was pure genius and his tormented lyrics sounded so real, you could hear in his vocals that he meant all that depressed talk. Yeah we got New Order but the word "ersatz" best describes how they never got close to the brilliance of Joy Division.

Sound off about JD!

I will open the thread myself with a quote from a Dutch review:

"The seventies had the hopeful undertone of punk music, but the late seventies and eighties were dark as night: no hope. From Manchester we got the suiting band. Joy Division sounded like a rainsoaked city at night, like the soundtrack to a serious depression".

I think that reviewer is spot on.

My favourite JD song is "Disorder": "I've been waiting for a guide to come and take me by the hand. Could these sensations make me feel the pleasures of a normal man?"
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:54 am

I think that Transmission is their best song- "We would have a fine time living in the night, Left to blind destruction, Waiting for our sight" gets me every time. I think he really had something, but at the same time Ian Curtis ended his life leaving his child without a father and that really upsets me about him.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:23 pm

I don't like them at all, I tried, I even have some of their records, but I just can't help but feel sick when I listen to their music.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:41 pm

Clearly people who say The Smiths are depressing have never listened to Joy Division.
They make me switch off, 'Transmission' is good, at the same time his vocals make me a bit on edge.
I wouldn't say I hated them, or didn't like them, but they're raved over to hell.

Matt
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby madmancmonkey » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:44 am

Discovering JD is like discovering the smiths all over again, the buzz, the excitement. They are a cornerstone of the monolithiic manchester music scene ... and deservedly so. The best songs IMO (from what I have heard so far...) are Disorder, Something must break, Transmission, Digital and Ice Age. They are a quality band.... what could have been? is my question.
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:28 am

I have never loved Joy Division like I have a lot of bands, but I can admire them for being greatly original and sometimes geniunely scary. I prefer pop music though, I think, and The Smiths combined depression with pop music perfectly. Joy Division just make me feel shifty and uncomfortable - maybe that's their gift, but I don't want it.

And manc, you may ask what could have been, but New Order are another fantastically innovative band. Isn't Blue Monday the best song ever made?
elko
Site Admin

Postby madmancmonkey » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:21 pm

It is a good tune Elk... but I doubt they would have that je nai se qoui that Curtis added... I rerally must get into New Order.. probably give them a look after JD.
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Re: Joy Division

Postby borntohang » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:23 pm

One of the most important bands of my entire life. Ian Curtis is certainly one of the best lyricists of all time and I adore virtually everything they ever recorded.
borntohang

Postby Nymphetamine » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:06 pm

Joy Division are one of my favourite bands purely because of how raw they were. When I mean raw they weren't packaged in any particular way and glossed over like other bands during their period and indeed after. Ian Curtis' pain and frustration was all too plain to see and you feel his pain through his music, which is what makes it so special and so unique to the point that its frightening. Even with the sombre lyrics and the deeply baritone voice of Curtis, Joy Division had an immense energy and warmth about them within the realms of live performance as can be seen in old music footage from their era.

My favourite song of theirs is a song that I can relate too immensely, that song is "A means to an end" that reminds me of a friendship that I had that went sour. The poetic use within the song itself is an art form, but meanings behind the words are too plain to feel when you listen to the song. I feel the song is either about Curtis losing an important friendship or about how he's lost a friend in himself, I'm not quite sure, but one of the finest songs I've ever heard.

As for the Joy Division being overrated? They probably are, but then I don't tend to play Simon Cowell with music much, I find it all too disrespectful. Take Rage Against The Machine for example, I've yet to meet someone who dislikes them, but that doesn't mean they aren't a fantastic band does it?
Nymphetamine
Regular

Postby HeavenKnowsImMozzerable » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:17 am

Aargh! JD are the #3 favourite band of mine! (#1 The Smiths, #2 Blur).

I can't exactly pick one to be my favourite, but Shadowplay, Disorder, Leaders of Men and Dead Souls are all brilliant!
I wanna go home... I don't want to stay... give up life as a BAD MISTAKE...

Life is good; and I feel great. 'Cause mother says I was a great mistake.
HeavenKnowsImMozzerable
Regular

Return to Music Chat