Rush

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:23 pm

Does anyone know the Canadian progressive rock band Rush?

I recently discovered them through an internet friend who gave me some songs to listen to. The band was formed in 1968 so they have a very long discography, but what I heard made me very curious to check out more of them.

They started off as a mainstream rock band but grew into a more "prog rock" label soon, by the end of the seventies and early eighties they had made a reputation for their long instrumental pieces, complex song structures and in-depth lyrics. They would later often be compared to Tool because of that. In the eighties Rush used a lot of synthesisers in their songs and thus changed the sound of their music drastically. Since the nineties they returned to their prog-rock background.

For those interested, go on YouTube and browse for "Tom Sawyer" (their most famous song from their synthesisers period), "Subdivisions" (very strong lyrics here), "Far Cry" (their most recent song), "Free Will", "Xanadu", and "YYZ" (a 6 minutes instrumental with amazing drums)
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:07 am

most certainly.
i have four older brothers, and the third of those four was a big music nut (still is). he had me listening to the beatles when they were still alive. classic elton john, reo speedwagon, the cars, boston, chicago, and of course: Rush.

these days, here's my ideal situation to listen to them:
a spring day. the sun near and clear, top off my porsche on a curvy road with the accelerator responding to the music. rush is great for that.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:27 pm

I've actually gotten in to 'em quite recently, I reccomend to anyone to download 'Time Stand Still' or 'Roll the Bones'.
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:52 pm

I bought their "best of" (well, bought... not the right word. I put it on my wish-list and got it as a new year's present)

Some great drum and guitar solo's and hypnotising synthesisers. I especially like Freewill, Tom Sawyer and Subdivisions. And despite the less in-depth lyrics, Spirit Of Radio is a great on-the-road track, although also good for singing along in the shower :D
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Return to Music Chat