The La's

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

The La's

Postby Profanity » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:21 pm

I did a search for this and didn't come up with a match so I took the liberty of starting a new thread.

Anyone else into this band? I've been playing this album non-stop for around the last month.

There is only one way to describe this record and that's perfect but even that doesn't sound strong enough.

Any La's lovers out there? If so, bring it on!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
- Oscar Wilde
Profanity
Regular

Re: The La's

Postby Still Ill » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:24 am

Ellis and I are fans. Well, Ellis is a big, big, big fan, if I recall. :D
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:15 pm

Yeah, The La's are literally perfect. I went through a real phase a couple of years ago where I sought out all the radio sessions (now out on CD I think) and unreleased stuff. My favourite song is the alternate version of I.O.U. that is on the end of the CD album. It is really raw and you can sort of understand why Lee Mavers hated the finished album - there is a polishedness to it that does smooth out some of the edges. It makes it a perfect pop album, but that isn't what he wanted.

I saw them at Glastonbury a couple of years ago, when they reformed. They were just amazing, they have absolutely mastered what they do. They are never going to be groundbreaking really, but I don't think every band has to be that. He just has a melodic gift and that is enough. I think they are still technically together, apprently still working on their second album in grotty studios in Liverpool. I am quite confident when I say that it will never happen though - for as long as he has no commercial obligation to finish something, he will tinker with it until the end of time.
elko
Site Admin

Postby elko » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:16 pm

Oh, just looking on Wikipedia it seems there's a 2008 Deluxe Version out now. How necessary.... :roll:
elko
Site Admin

Postby Profanity » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:15 pm

Still Ill wrote:Ellis and I are fans. Well, Ellis is a big, big, big fan, if I recall. :D

Yay! Nice to hear that.

elko wrote:Yeah, The La's are literally perfect. I went through a real phase a couple of years ago where I sought out all the radio sessions (now out on CD I think) and unreleased stuff. My favourite song is the alternate version of I.O.U. that is on the end of the CD album. It is really raw and you can sort of understand why Lee Mavers hated the finished album - there is a polishedness to it that does smooth out some of the edges. It makes it a perfect pop album, but that isn't what he wanted.

I saw them at Glastonbury a couple of years ago, when they reformed. They were just amazing, they have absolutely mastered what they do. They are never going to be groundbreaking really, but I don't think every band has to be that. He just has a melodic gift and that is enough. I think they are still technically together, apprently still working on their second album in grotty studios in Liverpool. I am quite confident when I say that it will never happen though - for as long as he has no commercial obligation to finish something, he will tinker with it until the end of time.

I never got to see them live unfortunately but I would have loved to. I've seen a few clips and boy did they sound good.

It's a real shame that Lee Mavers is not happy with that album because it's just so perfect. He gets the reputation for being a difficult guy to have worked with, probably some of it justified mind you. I think you're right though, because he has no commercial commitments, he just takes his time with things.

My favourite songs would be Son of a Gun, IOU, Doledrum, I Can't Sleep. I downloaded a good few radio sessions and they sound so damn good. Just goes to show you that you don't need the most elaborate of equipment to make something sound half decent.

I would dearly love to hear the songs that Lee Mavers has been purportedly writing over the years. I'm sure there's some really good stuff we've yet to hear.

And yes, I was reading that the album was being re-released. I'm hoping that when it is, it may revive interest in them or perhaps we get a few articles in the music magazines at least.

Thanks for your input guys :)
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
- Oscar Wilde
Profanity
Regular

Postby elko » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:40 pm

A bit of La's trivia - John Powers got the name of his next band from the Looking Glass lyrics "the change is cast". Incredibly ironic given that Cast are about the furthest you could get from change in any sense (for the uninitiatied, they are essentially the La's without drive, talent or decent songs).
elko
Site Admin

Postby rorschach » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:46 pm

I had the album for a while, lost in the commotion I suppose! It was a few years back but I remember liking it (There she goes is perfect).

Though I can say for certain Cast are definitley rubbish.
Freedom is the only way, yeah

http://www.pbfcomics.com/
rorschach
Advanced

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:22 pm

It is weird how some really good bands have very weird band names. Take my nr ones for example: Echo & The Bunnymen. Their music is the best ever to me, but the band name could have been a lot better. To a lesser extend, even for The Smiths this applies. Here in Germany, we have a band called Oomph! :o

Well, in terms of silly band names you cannot beat the metal scene. I heard of a band recently named Vaginal Intercourse, and another one named Anal Bleeding. FFS, a bit of controversy is OK but at least keep it in a non-childish way.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Return to Music Chat