The Last Shadow Puppets

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

The Last Shadow Puppets

Postby Still Ill » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:33 am

I started a thread, as opposed to just a post elsewhere in music chat, because I can just see the barrage of responses my post will get (or not!) Might make for good debate (or not.)

I'm not an Arctic Monkeys fan per se, though I like some of their stuff, so I don't follow what they've been doing. But I accidentally stumbled upon a news item somewhere on the net about Turner's side project with Kane. Well, it took one listen to 'The Chamber' and some acoustic sessions on youtube and I bought it through iTunes straightaway. I absolutely love this album. I had the same reaction when I heard the Coral's latest (so the reviews about 'digging back to the 60's or Scott Walker are false! It's a little disheartening that Turner's name automatically makes it a chart-topper since the Coral's 'Roots & Echoes', an album with a similar feel but much better didn't explode to the top). The album might be a little derivative, but again, does new music always have to be new and original to be enjoyable? It's always my argument it seems.

Anyway, anyone who's heard it care to comment or debate?

http://www.theageoftheunderstatement.com/
Gorgeous album cover I might add. :o

If you like either album, you might also enjoy the Whitsundays, too. :)
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Re: The Last Shadow Puppets

Postby HeavenKnowsImMozzerable » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:30 am

Probably one of the most promising bands of this decade. Their first album was brilliant, critics praised it as the Album of 2008, and that's quite an achievement, considering that Oracular Spectacular was released the same year (I never cared much for MGMT). My favourite tracks are definitely My Mistakes Were Made for You, The Chamber (love the "cornered by yourself" line), Standing Next to Me and of course the title track.

But their music wasn't the only reason I really enjoyed them. For me, they proved that the '60s could never be outdated. They loved that decade and wanted to pay a tribute to its music. The isn't a single track on the album that wasn't made with love and respect. Turner and Kane are both musical geniuses of our age, they brought the '60s style to people who had entirely forgotten the bands that started everything. Kids that had never listened to classics like Abbey Road were introduced to the achievements of the older generations.

So, why not '60s again?
I wanna go home... I don't want to stay... give up life as a BAD MISTAKE...

Life is good; and I feel great. 'Cause mother says I was a great mistake.
HeavenKnowsImMozzerable
Regular

Re: The Last Shadow Puppets

Postby HeavenKnowsImMozzerable » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:31 am

And for the album cover... It represented the good ol' times as much as the music did... for me at least.
I wanna go home... I don't want to stay... give up life as a BAD MISTAKE...

Life is good; and I feel great. 'Cause mother says I was a great mistake.
HeavenKnowsImMozzerable
Regular

Return to Music Chat