[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Strangeways • View topic - Other 80's bands?

Other 80's bands?

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby chicken » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:51 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Alabaster Crashes Down+Feb 3 2005, 06:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alabaster Crashes Down @ Feb 3 2005, 06:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I really don't like the pixies.

i'm not sure why.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
you know, i can respect that. i adore them, but then again i adore cabbage with horseradish.

as for LLPJ's list of 80's bands:
wow, you know your stuff. i graduated high school in 1984 and college in 1988, so i'm well-versed in 80's music.

oh my, you even mention the human league!! i have one of their releases on vinyl!!
XTC = sheer brillance.
talking heads: even as a professor, i could not drone on and on drone on enough about them. the ridiculous precision of the percussion gets me aroused in a strange way <!--emo&:huh:-->Image<!--endemo--> david byrne has released some solo works that stack up quite well to TH, namely "feelings" and "look into the eyeball"...both quite well constructed with smart lyrics, encompassing rhythms, and scathing political commentary concealed in 'happy little songs' if you will.
echo and the bunnymen: oh my. again, i would urge you to take in some of the newer stuff as well. yes, a new singer, but i like him, his voice (to me at least) is pretty sexy. reverberation is a great disc, i was introduced to that during a very intense LSD adventure and it took me to orbiting jupiter. heh....i like the fact that i can be frank on these boards. <!--emo&B)-->Image<!--endemo-->

and anyone who knows who lloyd cole is....well...........you're gonna make it into heaven for that one <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo--> "no one ever called pablo picasso an asshole"
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:46 am

<!--QuoteBegin-chicken+Mar 15 2005, 04:50 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chicken @ Mar 15 2005, 04:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->

and anyone who knows who lloyd cole is....well...........you're gonna make it into heaven for that one <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->  "no one ever called pablo picasso an asshole"<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Well, then getting into heaven is very easy <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
Both me and my mum are great fans of Lloyd Cole, I can't believe I've forgotten to mention him before, I am obviously having a hard time concentrating these days. But he's incredibly underrated - as my mother says: "How come he hasn't made it big - he's got the talent, he's got the voice and he's got the looks."
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:10 am

<!--QuoteBegin-chicken+Mar 15 2005, 04:50 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chicken @ Mar 15 2005, 04:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> and anyone who knows who lloyd cole is....well...........you're gonna make it into heaven for that one <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo--> "no one ever called pablo picasso an asshole" <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
That lyric [Pablo Picasso] is from Jonathan Richman and The Modern Lovers and from sometime in the mid 70's wasn't it?

As for Lloyd Cole, I loved "Lost Weekend", but wasn't overkeen on his other stuff. That said, I saw him live a few months ago and he was pretty good.

Postby coolymccoolvin » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:23 pm

Felt, Mission of Burma, Tom Waits, The Replacements, The Pixies, and of course Sonic Youth (Daydream Nation's gotta be in my top 10)
coolymccoolvin

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:42 am

Soundgarden
Jane's Addiction
The Cure
The Pixies
Sonic Youth

Postby Beorn_J » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:54 am

<!--emo&<_<-->Image<!--endemo--> dammit, i forgot i have to log in everytime...

that was me...
Beorn_J
Supreme

Postby rubygirl » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:17 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Guest+Mar 28 2005, 10:42 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest @ Mar 28 2005, 10:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Soundgarden
Jane's Addiction
The Cure
The Pixies
Sonic Youth<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
So, The Pixies get mentioned here very often - which is nice, they surely deserve it.
I like these bands too, Beorn with the exception of Soundgarden - that's definitely not my cup of tea. <!--emo&:ph34r:-->Image<!--endemo-->
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Beorn_J » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:47 am

soundgarden happens to be my favourite band of all time

they wrote me favourite song of all time

and one of their albums is my favourite of all time...

they are just a brilliant alternative band

they wrote beautiful and powerful songs like:

overfloater and
like suicide (my fav song of all time <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--> )
Last edited by Beorn_J on Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beorn_J
Supreme

Postby Beorn_J » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:53 am

oh and dead kennedys another awesome eighties band
Beorn_J
Supreme

Postby tallulahtaurus » Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:51 pm

Ha ha sure to bring the cool quotient down a few hunred notches me, I really like Matt Bianco my ma was a big fan and I ahve nothing but fond memories of it for that reason of course noone else knows who they are but I liked 'em!!
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby electric_russ » Mon May 16, 2005 7:18 pm

80's bands? where to start?

let me start by saying that i love punk music.

dead kennedys, misfits, minor threat, and pixies.
there were sooo many fantastic bands lost in the detritus of 80's pop culture.
husker du, sonic youth, minutemen, not to mention the smiths, siouxsie, and xtc.
i could go on and on, but i digress, not all of our tastes run in the same stream.

so lets enjoy what we can
There's a mean bone in my body.
electric_russ
Advanced

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:32 pm

Echo & The Bunnymen
Siouxsie & The Banshees
Bauhaus
The Damned
Silke Bischoff

are bands I am into that were active during the eighties (although obviously not only during the eighties)
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Lazy Dyke » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:00 pm

Lazy Dyke
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:08 pm

Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:19 pm

Oh, i have a real passion for 80ties bands :)
these are the main suspects:

R.E.M.
Pet Shop Boys
Depeche Mode
Echo & The Bunnymen
The Pixies
Adam And The Ants
Siouxsie & The Banshees
Soft Cell
Duran Duran
Talk Talk
Simple Minds