Live bands

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Miserable Liar » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:02 pm

Im going to see my first concert in June im seeing Ben Folds in the lowry centre in manchester. Im going to organise going to see the pixies and kasabian. If Morrissey does any tours in the future i will be the first person to buy a ticket and anyone who wants to beat me to one come forward and confess (hehe).

How about you?
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby reclamation » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:10 am

The only bands i've seen worth mentioning are Skinny Puppy, Portion Control, Ministry & Assemblage 23, but I've seen quite a few metal & indie bands.
[size=1]Slytherin pride/size]
reclamation
Supreme

Postby tallulahtaurus » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:02 pm

I saw my first concert in December - it was La Moz (Morrissey) he was great - Christmas came early. I wept with joy!!

I really need to get out and see more bands i'm 21 for gods sake!! prob is my friends like crap music <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo-->
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:37 pm

I've never been to a gig.
Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:52 pm

Ooh, gig thread, wheee. I've seen various bands and artists with varying degrees of goodness... This week I've seen Adam Green and The Dears (haha, I don't normally go to two gigs a week unfortunately, this week was just busy!), and I've seen Morrissey (twice), Ed Harcourt, the Buzzcocks, Snow Patrol, Jackson Browne, the Ordinary Boys, Rufus Wainwright, Placebo... Probably forgotten some. Dammit, I can't think now! I'm seeing Soulwax in half term too.

The Manics are coming to Southampton in April but tickets have sold out already and they only went on sale today. Bloody touts, they get right on my tits. <!--emo&:angry:-->Image<!--endemo-->
Last edited by girl_afraid on Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:29 am

Reclamation, when did you see Ministry? Must be something to experience. Jourgensen's music got too bizarre for me when he started wearing that cowboy hat! Love the early stuff when he was on trax records and when 80's Goth was at its peak. I love All Day, Halloween, Land of Rape and Honey, stuff like that. Anyway, I too, have seen too many bands to mention, mostly from the late 80's. Best ones were Oingo Boingo, Soundgarden, Moody Blues (on the waterfront with a full string orchestra!), Echo and the Bunnymen. I'm sure I'm missing more! How my sister got to see the Smiths, while I completely missed them is the biggest mystery of my life. My 2 recent ones were Morrissey and the Trashcan Sinatras last year. Coachella sounds like the place to be this year, lots of acts I'd like to see, but I'm not one for festivals, especially out in the middle of nowhere, in the desert, no less!

GA, the Buzzcocks are still at it? Joyce didn't drum for them again, did he? And how are the Dears, I'm thinking of getting No Cities Left. I love We Can Have It. 30 seconds on iTunes does it no justice. Heard the whole song on the SpinArt Records site. Beautiful song how it starts off slow, jams, then slows again at the end. Just breathtaking!
Last edited by Still Ill on Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:58 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Still Ill+Feb 5 2005, 08:29 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Still Ill @ Feb 5 2005, 08:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> GA, the Buzzcocks are still at it? Joyce didn't drum for them again, did he? And how are the Dears, I'm thinking of getting No Cities Left. I love We Can Have It. 30 seconds on iTunes does it no justice. Heard the whole song on the SpinArt Records site. Beautiful song how it starts off slow, jams, then slows again at the end. Just breathtaking! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, they are!! I was really surprised that they were touring, I actually assumed most of them were dead... <!--emo&:unsure:-->Image<!--endemo--> Unfortunately Mike Joyce wasn't drumming, that would have been so cool!

No Cities Left is really worth getting, it's a wonderful album. It's a bit of a grower, there are some insant standout tracks and others that take a bit longer to really like, but it is very good indeed. My favourites are Lost In The Plot, Don't Lose The Faith, The Second Part and Who Are You, Defenders Of The Universe? The lead singer, Murray Lightburn, is also a HUGE Smiths fan, and The Dears have been compared to The Smiths, but I don't really see it... His voice sounds almost exactly like Damon Albarn from Blur though. Ironically, I read an interview with him where he said that although he liked Blur at first, the more he heard, the more he started to hate them, and he thinks Damon Albarn's a git. Or words to that effect.
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I dunno...
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby reclamation » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:00 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Still Ill+Feb 5 2005, 08:29 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Still Ill @ Feb 5 2005, 08:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Reclamation, when did you see Ministry? Must be something to experience. Jourgensen's music got too bizarre for me when he started wearing that cowboy hat! Love the early stuff when he was on trax records and when 80's Goth was at its peak. I love All Day, Halloween, Land of Rape and Honey, stuff like that. Anyway, I too, have seen too many bands to mention, mostly from the late 80's. Best ones were Oingo Boingo, Soundgarden, Moody Blues (on the waterfront with a full string orchestra!), Echo and the Bunnymen. I'm sure I'm missing more! How my sister got to see the Smiths, while I completely missed them is the biggest mystery of my life. My 2 recent ones were Morrissey and the Trashcan Sinatras last year. Coachella sounds like the place to be this year, lots of acts I'd like to see, but I'm not one for festivals, especially out in the middle of nowhere, in the desert, no less!

GA, the Buzzcocks are still at it? Joyce didn't drum for them again, did he? And how are the Dears, I'm thinking of getting No Cities Left. I love We Can Have It. 30 seconds on iTunes does it no justice. Heard the whole song on the SpinArt Records site. Beautiful song how it starts off slow, jams, then slows again at the end. Just breathtaking! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
At Download festival a few years back. Bloody excellent they were.
[size=1]Slytherin pride/size]
reclamation
Supreme

Postby chicken » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:30 am

last show i saw was Frank Black acoustic in a very small venue. and when he launched into "monkey gone to heaven"........i knew then i was a monkey. i don't think i've ever done so much hot-and-sweaty chicken dancing evar!!
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:23 pm

Everyone's dream, eh? Seeing a musical hero stripped of all their fanfare and performing in a small venue. For me it would be Johnny Marr. You didn't mention when you saw Frank Black.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:43 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Still Ill+Feb 20 2005, 10:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Still Ill @ Feb 20 2005, 10:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->You didn't mention when you saw Frank Black.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
gosh, that was almost two years ago now.

and i chatted with the guitarist over a cigarette outside without even knowing it was him. heh....what an absent-minded little man i am!!
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Bobby » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:43 pm

o o o I saw R.E.M on Wednesday, Birmingham NEC it was the best I have ever seen them! I've been to Glastonbury for three years on the trot, that was the first time I saw La Moz (last year). err...I saw Manic Street Preachers last December along with Morrissey (again!). lol I also saw Pixies twice, both being the best gigs I have ever been to!
<span style='color:blue'>"Leave me alone because I'm alright, dad just surprised to still be on my own...."</span>

Bobby
Advanced

Postby girl_afraid » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:57 pm

What are the Manics like live? According to efestivals.co.uk they might be supporting Oasis at their huge gigs over the summer, one of which I'm going to. How much early (ie. Richey-era) stuff do they play?

I dunno...
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby Bobby » Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:01 pm

At the minute Manics are the best they've been live since Richey left. They play around 6 songs in the Richey era, three of them off the Holy Bible. Supporting Oasis? That's a bit odd seen as Manics and Oasis where chart oppositions in the Brit Pop days!
<span style='color:blue'>"Leave me alone because I'm alright, dad just surprised to still be on my own...."</span>

Bobby
Advanced

Postby girl_afraid » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:33 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Bobby+Feb 27 2005, 04:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bobby @ Feb 27 2005, 04:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> At the minute Manics are the best they've been live since Richey left. They play around 6 songs in the Richey era, three of them off the Holy Bible. Supporting Oasis? That's a bit odd seen as Manics and Oasis where chart oppositions in the Brit Pop days! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, I thought it was weird... Although, I guess it wouldn't be supporting as such - Oasis's summer gigs are like huge festival-type things, so the Manics would just be another band on the bill, not neccessarily 'support'.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Southampton Rose Bowl Stadium
Wednesday 6 July
Oasis - confirmed
Kasabian - strong rumour
Manic Street Preachers - rumour<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's the show I'm going to, they'd be 'special guests'. I don't know why they're below fucking Kasabian, maybe they're doing it in order of who's the most likely to be appearing.

I dunno...
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to Music Chat