Marilyn Manson?

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Miserable Liar » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:16 pm

My mate is reli into marilyn manson and he got his autobiography and it had a list of thing which made you gay in his eyes and it was all to do with stupid stuff ie. if you where in a bar and holding your dick in the toilets when a smiths song came on you are gay, if you have ever made love to a girl who likes the smiths you are gay, if youve ever had a haircut like morrissey you are gay, if you became a vegetarian because the smiths album meat is murder had an affect on your life you are gay etc.
The list is endless, but its strange because marilyn manson admitted to blowing a few guys so how doesnt that make him gay? he says he isnt
But what the hell is his beef with the smiths?
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby reclamation » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:03 am

I think the phrase you're looking for is "tongue in cheek". <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
Manson=not entirely serious in that book.
[size=1]Slytherin pride/size]
reclamation
Supreme

Postby Miserable Liar » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:19 pm

Ok, i thought it wer personal lol
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby reclamation » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:07 pm

Nooooooo. You're missing the point of Manson entirely if you try to take him seriously. <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo--> Rest assured that about 90% of that book will be exagerration & pisstaking.
[size=1]Slytherin pride/size]
reclamation
Supreme

Postby Xuu » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:52 pm

lol, i think the Smiths are gay too...again...i'm bi myself so i don't really care.

Manson entertains me.
Xuu
Supreme

Postby Bref » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:23 pm

Manson's a joke anyway, a pathetic charicature cliché with terrible music
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Book Antiqua--><span style="font-family:Book Antiqua"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial Narrow--><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->Half of the time we're gone but we don't know where,
we don't know where.
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Bref
Smiths Nut!

Postby Rodchenko » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:37 pm

Bref's got a point!
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Are You Loathsome Tonight?
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Rodchenko
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:29 pm

I saw him eating a McDonald's hamburger on an MTV special.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby stanyewest » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:39 pm

It's not like Morrissey hasn't said something about almost every band I appreciate.

I think Manson is a brilliant artist at what he does.
most people gaze not into the future or the past;they explore neither truth nor lies. they gaze at the TV.
stanyewest
Supreme

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:29 pm

A Manson topic :o Well, I'll come out for it I guess: I am a fan. Less fanatic than before, but still. I think his music is much better than the standard metal and he has some truely great songs (such as Cryptorchid, Reflecting God, Great Big White World, The Nobodies, Para-noir). I am glad though that he ditched the shockrock element, and hate it that most Manson fans find it a shame he doesn't do all sorts of bizarrities (blowjobs, self-harm, urinating, etc) on stage anymore. I classify that sort of stuff as 'immature' however and I'm glad that today Marilyn Manson is about music and not about cheaply shocking people.

The music is very good IMO, I am happy to admit though that I don't like some of his antics. Luckily he seems to have matured.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:47 pm

For the fans... <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTX89SSPpSA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTX89SSPpSA</a> - a photo collection on the tones of The Reflecting God.

And I know I probably will be crucified for liking Manson by some here, but really: this is one of the best metal songs ever made IMO. Powerful, full of energy, full of aggression yet still making a point and spreading a message, lyrically quite in-depth...

I still stand by my earlier statement: Marilyn Manson is a brilliant artist.

There, I said it, I outed myself as a Manson fan, now I'm ready for the critics :ph34r: But I don't care, I really like this man's music. His image is a different thing and not I'm not into all the shock rock stuff, but musically he is excellent IMO.

Maybe, as the original topic (his opinion on the Smiths) was not intended au sérieux anyway, we can keep this a topic for discussing the man's music an sich?

IMO "Mechanical Animals" is his best album. My favourite metal album by far, the only metal album I'll never leave out of my all-time album top-10. It's just a perfect cross-over between glam and metal, with an eerie and cold atmosphere that however perfectly suits the music (lyrical themes about loss of social values and emotions). Followed at close distance by "Antichrist Superstar" however which is also a great album. AS contains more individual highlights, whereas as a whole I find Mechanical Animals his ultimate masterpiece because the songs just seem to all form one storyline. Also, his version of Tainted Love (and its delicious goth video) is IMO one of the best covers of the last decade, one of the rare covers that can stand up next to the original.

His best songs IMO in this order:

1. Cryptorchid
2. The reflecting God
3. Irresponsable hate anthem
4. The nobodies
5. Great big white world
6. Tainted love
7. The fight song
8. Dope hat
9. Coma white
10. Dogma

Little addition: here's the brilliant Tainted Love video, blissfully gothic! <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StZc1B4fCXI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StZc1B4fCXI</a>
This is the uncensored version, but it hardly varies from the one shown on TV. I wonder why they made two versions anyway, this video is never explicit or offensive as some of his other versions. I understand why they censored the (S)Aint video, but this seems a perfectly fine video to me?!
Last edited by Cracked Pleasures on Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:53 pm

Got my ticket today to see Manson headlining Radar Festival. My 5th Manson show it will be.

And best of all:
- you can buy day tickets for festivals here but also half-day tickets, handy for those only going for 1 band (like me)
- I paid 40 Turkish Lira (approx 20 euro) for a VIP ticket. You read this right, only 20 euro for VIP entrance! "Cheap" has never been so unexpensive before in my life! :D

2nd of July it is all happening and thanks to my VIP pass I have access to the area just in front of the stage, less than 2 meter off the stage. And that all for 40 Lira, life can be so full of pleasant surprises!

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Re: Marilyn Manson?

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:25 pm

Some rather exciting news (although maybe few will care on this forum...) : Jeordie White is taking up his on-stage alter ego Twiggy Ramirez again and re-joins Marilyn Manson as a permanent member! He is replacing Tim Sköld, who left the band. Twiggy was co-founder of the band and co-wrote Manson's biggest epics, so his return to the band means a lot to most long-term fans. You can maybe compare this to what Smiths fans would be feeling if Marr and Morrissey would get back together. Twiggy is already playing the new US tour with Marilyn Manson, after which the band will start recording the new album expected in late 2008.

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Profanity » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:06 pm

A few friends of mine from the US have seen Twiggy perform again with Manson. He's sounding better than ever and I can submit pics if anyone is interested.

Skold was a good member of the band but I knew it was never going to be a permanent arrangement. He served Manson well and no doubt, because the guy is so talented he will move on to other projects.

But for now, Twiggy's back and I for one am delighted.

Still gutted about Pogo though.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
- Oscar Wilde
Profanity
Regular

Postby Profanity » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:15 pm

New Twiggy pics (courtesy of Revenent Media)

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
- Oscar Wilde
Profanity
Regular

Next

Return to Music Chat