Bloc Party?

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Miserable Liar » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:19 pm

Omg there new song "So here we are" is just so beautiful. "Banquet" was cool but this one is realy good. Anyone else like it?
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby Noonan McKane » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:47 pm

Definitely. I think they're excellent.
i shouted out 'who killed the kennedys?' when after all it was you and me
Noonan McKane
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:10 pm

Not a fan at all. I don't think the songs are good, and at any other time they would not be getting the hype they currently are. Also something about me likes music with more interesting melodies.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Miserable Liar » Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:14 pm

Me too elko, me too. But there is something about this band, something that i think hasnt been fulfiled yet. Hopefully, there fullest potential is soon reached
But what ive heard is pretty cool
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:43 am

I've only heard Helicopter which I like immensely and keep promising myself that I will check them out porperly but I never get round to it - so to answer your question I love 'em!!
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:05 pm

Aint heard helicopter. They just played on the NME awards, pretty good stuff. Also if I may mention a cool performence by the snow patrol frontman (much to elkos disgust <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->)
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:22 pm

I saw that solo 'performance'. It hideously exposed just how lacking of EVERYTHING that song is.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Miserable Liar » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:29 pm

I like snow patrol but i always fear for the guys throat when he sings live. It just sounds stressed?
Maybe he is trying too hard
Good musician tho
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby alabaster » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:31 am

ive never heard them
alabaster

Postby girl_afraid » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:33 pm

Oh, I LOVE Bloc Party! You really need to get the album, it's excellent - Hellicopter and Like Eating Glass are probably my favourites, they're just great songs, and Helicopter has the fabulous addictive opening.

Elko, you say you prefer more melodic music, but if you want to shove Bloc Party in any category it would be 'art-punk', like The Futureheads, who you said you liked... *stares accusingly*

On a tangent, has anyone heard of Maximo Park? Apply Some Pressure is such a good song, insanely catchy - they sound like The Futureheads only better. I love the way loads of bands are singing in regional accents at the moment, it makes the music sound so much more interesting.
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:56 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-girl_afraid+Feb 24 2005, 10:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (girl_afraid @ Feb 24 2005, 10:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Elko, you say you prefer more melodic music, but if you want to shove Bloc Party in any category it would be 'art-punk', like The Futureheads, who you said you liked... *stares accusingly* <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Oh, shut it. <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->

For the record, The Futureheads I think are quite good, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I liked them. But if I did, why must I also like Bloc Party? Do I have to discard a whole burgeoning genre just because it's full of bland also-rans?

Anyway, conclusion is, Bloc Party ain't much good.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Miserable Liar » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:38 pm

That Futureheads song is one of my favorites now as well. Its boss!
That bravery one is ok too, ok i say!
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:47 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Feb 24 2005, 09:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Feb 24 2005, 09:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-girl_afraid+Feb 24 2005, 10:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (girl_afraid @ Feb 24 2005, 10:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Elko, you say you prefer more melodic music, but if you want to shove Bloc Party in any category it would be 'art-punk', like The Futureheads, who you said you liked... *stares accusingly* <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Oh, shut it. <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->

For the record, The Futureheads I think are quite good, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I liked them. But if I did, why must I also like Bloc Party? Do I have to discard a whole burgeoning genre just because it's full of bland also-rans?

Anyway, conclusion is, Bloc Party ain't much good. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Meh, no, just wondering is all.

Hm, as for The Bravery, I like Honest Mistake, but I've heard some more of their songs and they aren't that great. The lead singer can't really sing live either (if The Friday Night Project is anything to go by), and the way he looks like he's trying to be a weird, greasy goth version of Morrissey annoys me.
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:58 pm

He does look abit like him, my dad said that.
I think its the sideburns <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
"Honest mistak" is ok, i love that futureheads song tho its so cool an catchy.
Hopefully this band will satisfy 2005, but here was some great music last year and alot of shit such as mcfly, busted etc.
I dont mind mcflys songs i mean at least they can play there guitars but they are so unbelieveably average how the hell did they impress anyone?
p.s. i dont listen to mcfly or busted!
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:03 am

I don't think that's how McFly were born - I can't imagine them wowing some A&R man. They are manufactured and so should be judged on a different level to The Bravery, Bloc Party et al.

Not a fan of The Bravery, they were shit on Jools Holland when I saw them, and that song gets on my nerves. He does look a little like Mozzer, more punky though.
elko
Site Admin

Return to Music Chat