Franz Ferdinand

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Bobby » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:53 pm

What does everyone think of them here? I've just recently discovered them and it's love at first listen. Tell Her Tonight and Michael is just perfect pop. Plus they sound great on vinyl. So are they just a flash in a pan or will they get better with age?
<span style='color:blue'>"Leave me alone because I'm alright, dad just surprised to still be on my own...."</span>

Bobby
Advanced

Postby rubygirl » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:18 pm

I actually heard some of their songs only last month. I've got mp3s of the album, but haven't listened to them enough. For now I can tell that 40ft is the song I like the most.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Sweet and Tender Hooligan » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:24 pm

i have had their album since may it is truly great, they are another reason i got into the smiths because there are connections between the 2 bands and morrissey likes them doesnt he?

the album itself has only a couple of weak points but most are really great, amazing opener and closer as well.
I'm spellbound, but a woman divides
And the hills are alive with celibate cries
Sweet and Tender Hooligan
Supreme

Postby Miserable Liar » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:59 am

They are cool from what ive heard, must get there album
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:55 am

I actually got this long before they really hit it big, and because Morrissey showed interest in them, so I got curious. It's good, but it's really suited to a party atmosphere. After the 6th or 7th song, it just sounds loud, no rest for the ears! But I do like their style. And now there are the throngs of bands that sound like them. But hey, it's to be expected. For a long time, Take Me Out and Modest Mouse's Float On was on every playlist I had.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:54 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Still Ill+Mar 1 2005, 09:55 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Still Ill @ Mar 1 2005, 09:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I actually got this long before they really hit it big, and because Morrissey showed interest in them, so I got curious. It's good, but it's really suited to a party atmosphere. After the 6th or 7th song, it just sounds loud, no rest for the ears! But I do like their style. And now there are the throngs of bands that sound like them. But hey, it's to be expected. For a long time, Take Me Out and Modest Mouse's Float On was on every playlist I had. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, they are definately a singles band. When they brought out 'Take Me Out' I wasn't sure how they'd top it, and to be honest they haven't, but I think they new album (out later this year) will be an improvement. Maybe it will kill off some of the shit sound-a-likes, or maybe this whole scene altogether. I heard 'Oh My God' by the Kaiser Cheifs today, and it's the dullest song I've ever heard. I'd forgotten I'd heard it before, it's that good.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:47 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->it's the dullest song I've ever heard. I'd forgotten I'd heard it before, it's that good.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh dear, are the Kaiser Chiefs that awful? I just saw their name this morning on the SxSW website this morning! (My Trashies are playing the festival again this year. <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--> )
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:56 pm

Nah kieser chiefs aint the greatest, abit annoying sometimes
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby Sweet and Tender Hooligan » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:27 pm

ohh new album cant wait! you know date when it will be out?
Supreme

Postby tallulahtaurus » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:51 pm

Yeah the Kaiser Cheifs are sooo sooo bad - there's no need for the awfulness!! stop the awfulness!!
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:31 pm

*jumps in to defend the Kaiser Chiefs*

I really like them!!! Admittedly 'I Predict A Riot' is much better than 'Oh My God', but still, I think they're really good, so... yeah.

But anyway, I also think Franz Ferdinand are great. I couldn't really get into the album at first, but I have now, and I love it, albeit not particularly varied. I've heard some of their new stuff though, and it sounds like they're experimenting a with different sounds a bit more, so the new album should be very good.

Hmmm, as much as I like 'Take Me Out', I'm a bit fed up with it now - it's the only song they ever play on TV and stuff (presumably because it's their most well-known), and it's getting slightly over-played. I prefer 'Matinee' anyway.
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:08 am

I saw the video for Oh my god the other day and was almost swayed because the lead singer is very very pretty and because I am a shallow bitch that impressed me but I dunno I still can't actually voluntarily wanting to listen to it without the visual component!!

and Yeah I agree Matinee is so much better!!
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:51 pm

I gave the keiser chiefs more of a chance and i quite like "Oh My God", im not a fan of "I predict a riot".
I really want "Aha-Shake heartbreak"(Kings of Leon), but i also want "Hatful of Hollow"(The Smiths), because sweet and tender has being "bantering" on about it, hehe. It sounds great!
Although the singer needs to stop that screaming in "Oh My God" and btw i agree with you, the lead singer is catching (in a complimenting way , not in a gay way!)
Last edited by Miserable Liar on Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:41 pm

You don't have Hatful of Hollow already??!!! How can you survive without the Peel sessions of 'This Charming Man' and 'What Difference Does It Make?' and 'Still Ill'? OK, that might be a little extreme, but it really is a fantastic album and I'm very surprised you don't have it already!
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby Sweet and Tender Hooligan » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:29 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-miserableliar+Mar 4 2005, 05:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (miserableliar @ Mar 4 2005, 05:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> but i also want "Hatful of Hollow"(The Smiths), because sweet and tender has being "bantering" on about it, hehe. It sounds great!
<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
see what a lot of you guys have been missing, i have told him to get the blinking album even for all the new songs and even more so for the cooler beginning of what difference does it make?

tis good banter my amigos <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--> <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Supreme

Next

Return to Music Chat