[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Strangeways • View topic - Inspirations?

Inspirations?

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Bobby » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:57 pm

What bands/artists would you say have had a huge impact on you, be it musically, lyrically or any other way? I know it's a typical forum topic, but I'm stuck for ideas <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Mine have got to be Joy Division, The Smiths, early Manic Street Preachers, Bjork, Bob Dylan, Pixies, Steveless, R.E.M., Courtney Love and The Jesus & Marychain...there are many more but those are the only ones I can think of at the moment!
<span style='color:blue'>"Leave me alone because I'm alright, dad just surprised to still be on my own...."</span>

Bobby
Advanced

Postby rubygirl » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:13 pm

Well, The Smiths, of course! <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->

For me, this is the kind of question that requires a lot of thinking and "soul mining" in order to trace the different influences and inspirations through different periods - and which ones of them faded away and which are the ones to stay with me.

Perhaps in this regard I should mention the period when I was listening to classical music only - and was studying the history of classical music with great interest. Many of my ideas about music, its purposes and impact on people were formed in those days.
And then I started listenig to Queen extensively - they've surely had huge influence over me.
I've also had a period of listening to U2 - Achtung Baby was on heavy rotation in our house in the years 1994-1995. But then I stopped caring about U2 - so I wouldn't list them as an inspiration now, 'cause it was something temporary, with no lasting effects.
I suppose I will revisit this thread very soon.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:38 am

classical music rubygirl?!! far out. i'm a nut for vivaldi; though according to my friend who has a phd in musicology and did his dissertation on brahms, vivaldi is simplistic variations on a theme. perhaps i'm simplistic. perhaps that's good.

i first discovered nusrat fateh ali khan quite by accident--i was on a jeff buckley kick at the time and found a photo of jeff with this mountain of a man, which intrigued me. then i read jeff's review of nusrat and had no choice but to entertain some of his music. one listen and i was hooked. with no exaggeration whatsoever, i went through a period of four years when i listened to nusrat everyday. every day. every every day. gad.

nusrat opened the door of "human voice as an instrument" for me. since then, i hear people differently. the other day i'm at my fav local mexican restaurant and the foxy waiter boy says: you want some more water? (in his typical thuggish manner) i noticed the strange look he was giving me, and soon realized that was due to the absent, not-really-here-look i was giving him.

in my experience most americans are closed-minded and provincial about foreign music. they think that if they can't understand the lyrics, it is not worth a listen. the poor saps have no clue what it is they are missing.

nusrat fateh ali khan.
nusrat fateh ali khan.
nnnuuuuusssrrrraaaaaaaat..............
hell. now i gotta turn off my vivaldi and commit the next 25 minutes to yeh jo halka halka.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Beorn_J » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:00 am

lyrically
- Morrissey (smiths and solo)
- Chris Cornell (Soundgarden and Solo)
- John Lennon (uh huh... beatles and solo)
- Dead Kennedys
- Pink Floyd (Roger Waters lyrics primarily)
- Jane's Addiction
- Bob Dylan

musically
- The Who (main inspiration for music)
- Soundgarden
- The Pixies
- Radiohead
- Pink Floyd
- The Beatles
- Dead Kennedys
- Sonic Youth
- The Smiths (of course)
- Mr. Bungle
- Faith no More
- Led Zeppelin
- Jane's Addiction
- The Stooges
- Bob Dylan
- Smashing Pumpkins
Beorn_J
Supreme

Postby Still Ill » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:49 am

The Cars were responsible for shifting my musical tastes from the mainstream AOR everyone was listening to. They were considered avant-garde, artsy at the time. It was the first band I got 'attached' to. Then The Smiths came along. REM is not far behind, probably tied with Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry.

I love to listen to classical music occassionally, but I'm not good at discerning the composers, with the exception of Chopin, perhaps!

Welcome Beorn. Looks like you're really a Soundgarden fan. I have a good friend with a close connection so I got to see them from the start before they got real big. It was a fun time. I assume you like Audioslave as well?
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Beorn_J » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:01 am

you assume wrong! <!--emo&<_<-->Image<!--endemo-->

audioslave is dreadful

soundgarden created powerful and majestic songs.

audioslave just have stupid rock tracks

(damn tom morello sucks)

but the last remaining light is an awesome song. probably cause morello doesnt try and make his guitar squeak and beep like a computer <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->

from the start eh? back in the day when chris sung in that impossible high pitched voice?

haha

those were the days..

(even though i wasnt even born then <!--emo&:ph34r:-->Image<!--endemo--> )

but the music is cool <!--emo&B)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Last edited by Beorn_J on Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beorn_J
Supreme

Postby rubygirl » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:33 pm

Beorn, I like the way you've separated your inspirations - lyrical and musical. This makes great sense to me <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->

<!--QuoteBegin-chicken+Mar 29 2005, 03:38 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chicken @ Mar 29 2005, 03:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->classical music rubygirl?!!  far out.  i'm a nut for vivaldi; though according to my friend who has a phd in musicology and did his dissertation on brahms, vivaldi is simplistic variations on a theme.  perhaps i'm simplistic.  perhaps that's good.

<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I've read the same thing about about Vivaldi many times - it's probably right, but they are superb variations <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo--> Playing The Four Seasons on vinyl has always been such a treat in my life; Spring is my favourite part.
I used to have a great fascination with Wagner, but lost a huge deal of my interest in him. Ravel, Mahler and Rimsky-Korsakov - that's where my interest went.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->i first discovered nusrat fateh ali khan quite by accident--i was on a jeff buckley kick at the time and found a photo of jeff with this mountain of a man, which intrigued me. then i read jeff's review of nusrat and had no choice but to entertain some of his music. one listen and i was hooked. with no exaggeration whatsoever, i went through a period of four years when i listened to nusrat everyday. every day. every every day. gad.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Some time ago we used to have MTV Asia broadcast here among the other music channels and on it they talked about
nusrat fateh ali khan a lot and played his songs. To me, it is always good to get in touch with something different and get a new perspective - musically or in any other aspect and closed -mindedness is like a deadly sin to me - there is so much to find, so much to see, why frame your mind?
Songs give me a different kind of thrill when I don't understand the lyrics, and these days I am very much into some turkish and greek stuff - much to my parents' dismay.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:40 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rubygirl+Mar 30 2005, 09:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rubygirl @ Mar 30 2005, 09:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I've read the same thing about about Vivaldi many times - it's probably right, but they are superb variations <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo--> Playing The Four Seasons on vinyl has always been such a treat in my life; Spring is my favourite part.
I used to have a great fascination with Wagner, but lost a huge deal of my interest in him. Ravel, Mahler and Rimsky-Korsakov - that's where my interest went. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
I have next to know knowledge of classical music, but I do like Stravinsky, that story of the riots on first performance of the Rite Of Spring really fascinates me.

Vivaldi, well, I know the Four Seasons, other than that I have no idea. I like it though.

Funny thing, considering how much classical music there is out there, I was randomly going through my mum's old vinyl and put on a classical album (may have been the 1812 overture). I put it on at a random point, and the exact point I put it on, somewhere in the middle, was a bit that was sampled by The Streets. I admit I had not even recognised it when listening to The Streets album.
elko
Site Admin

Postby reclamation » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:23 pm

In order from furthest back to most recent;

Pulp
Sex Pistols
Mansun
The Smiths
Marilyn Manson
System of a Down
Nine Inch Nails
Skinny Puppy

& the only ones that have stayed with me are The Smiths & Skinny Puppy.
[size=1]Slytherin pride/size]
reclamation
Supreme

Postby Qvist » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:02 pm

The Smiths, Current 93, The Cure, David Bowie, And Also the Trees, Belle and Sebastian, Death in June, Kate Bush, The The, Joy Division, New Order, Nick Cave, Mogwai, Motorpsycho, Monster Magnet, Depeche Mode, Fire and Ice, Jesus and Mary Chain, Legendary Pink Dots/Tear Garden, Papa M, Kent, Stereolab, the Pogues, Pixies, Pulp, Gene, Tindersticks, Tom Waits, Kurt Weill, Wedding Present, Ramones.

cheers
Qvist
Regular

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:27 pm

Lyrically:

Smiths
Echo & The Bunnymen

Musically:

Smiths
Echo & The Bunnymen
Bauhaus
Indochine
Siouxsie & The Banshees
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Return to Music Chat