Wilco

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby coolymccoolvin » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:50 pm

I'd hate to say it, Elko, but I think I disagree with your review of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Sorry if I come off as a jerk or anything...I just like talking about this kind of stuff. YHF is one of my top 10 albums of this decade, definitely, and I think Ghost was a bit of a letdown for me. I find the songs on YHF a bit more meaningful and the melodies are great, etc. Also, the electronic experimentation was pretty interesting. Finally, you neglected Summerteeth, which might be an even better album than YHF. Plenty of great songs and very diverse. The b-side "The High Heat" from A Ghost Is Born is excellent, though. I'm not saying Ghost is a bad album, but YHF is definitely a classic. A 10/10 in my book.
coolymccoolvin

Postby elko » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:12 pm

Well, as I said, I came at it from a different angle, which was having heard A Ghost Is Born first, and having loved it. It is a much more satisfying listen than YHF in my opinion, it's really the choruses on the latter that I don't like. Heavy Metal Drummer is a fantastic song, up until the chorus, at which point I find it naff. Same goes for Jesus, etc., which again is a stunning song, but kind of gets lost at times. The point I was trying to make is that yes, I love the album, but I find more in A Ghost Is Born. The more experimental stuff like Spiders is magic to me, and the more standard tracks (Hummingbird, Handshake Drugs, Hell Is Chrome) are among the finest ever written, in my view.

To say I 'neglected' Summerteeth is a bit unfair, I'm trying to review one album at a time by some of my favourite bands, and I'm picking which ever would be the most interesting to write about. However, in my view it's probably level with Being There - a good album, but doesn't reach the heights of YHF anf AGIB.

And don't worry, I know you're not a jerk - I like talking about this stuff too.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:14 pm

One other review I kind of disagree with is the Arcade Fire one. You said the album slows down at the end, but I would say the first 4 and last 3 are the best 3, with the middle being filler. Thats a minor dispute, though.

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:17 pm

oops that was me (coolymccoolvin). "neglected" was a harsh word in hindsight, it just seemed to me like the ghost stuff in that review could have been counterbalanced with some summerteeth things. my favorite songs of yhf are actually "i am trying to break your heart" and "ashes of american flags." I like it when they just sort of wander around in ambience. I am a huge eno fan though

Postby elko » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:18 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Guest+Apr 7 2005, 11:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest @ Apr 7 2005, 11:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> One other review I kind of disagree with is the Arcade Fire one. You said the album slows down at the end, but I would say the first 4 and last 3 are the best 3, with the middle being filler. Thats a minor dispute, though. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
I don't expect anyone to agree with everything <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->

It's just writing for fun about music.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:04 am

Wilco played here tonight under a pseudonym (Cat's Eye), and those in the know weren't fooled because it was sold out. They had to use an alias because of their appearance at this weekend's Coachella Festival. Caught this interesting bit of info on an on-air radio interview today with Jeff and another band member (Mike?). Wasn't able to hear much of the interview, what I do remember being interesting was the mention of a couple of songs (Spiders and Camera) that had 9 different musical style versions of them. Their website has some bonus tracks for download, complete with printable EP covers of your choice.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Guest » Sat May 07, 2005 3:56 pm

I have also heard the Ghost Album first, and I kind of agree with Elko, because it's more interesting. I prefer songs like Theologians or Company In MY Back. They're Stunning. There are also amazing Songs on YHF (Ashes of American Flags, I am Trying to Break Your Heart, Radio Cure, Reservations) but they don`t seem as great as the ones from the Ghost Album. I mean, At LEast That's What YOu Said is One of the greatest Songs I´ve ever heard. It's sad, melodramatic and unbelievable deep. And there are also some FIllers on YHF (Kamera, War On War, Pot Kettle Black). Those ones are very enjoyable, but not in the same way as the ones on Ghost are...

Postby elko » Mon May 23, 2005 2:02 pm

How did I miss this post?

Agree with all of that, bar Pot Kettle Black being a filler - it's one of my favourites on the album.
elko
Site Admin

Postby His Lowness » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:13 pm

I adore Wilco, and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is one of my very favorite records ever (2nd actually). Odd that you should say that "Jesus, Etc." gets lost. To me, that's one of the most expertly written, beautiful songs. To each his own, though, eh?
His Lowness

Postby Still Ill » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:42 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Guest+May 7 2005, 04:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest @ May 7 2005, 04:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->...but they don`t seem as great as the ones from the Ghost Album. I mean, At LEast That's What YOu Said is One of the greatest Songs I´ve ever heard. It's sad, melodramatic and unbelievable deep...<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Downloaded it once. I liked it right away, it's a beautiful song. I may have to make more of an effort to listen to some more of their stuff...
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:19 pm

Most of that album is what I would consider essential listening:- At Least That's What You Said, Hummingbird, Handshake Drugs, Theologians, I'm A Wheel, etc...

I sent miserableliar a Wilco song yesterday so I'm expecting him to come bursting onto this thread declaring their greatness any minute now.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:35 pm

Tonight the Sundance Channel is premiering a movie by Wilco, the making of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot called 'I'm Trying to Break Your Heart'. I'm going to try and tape it. It'll air a couple of more times this month too. Might even be better than Metallica's documentary. <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:50 pm

Ah yeah I've got that on DVD. Very nice film.
Last edited by elko on Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:09 am

<!--emo&:blink:-->Image<!--endemo-->
I mean, the actor I get.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Return to Music Chat