What do your parents think of your music?

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby alabaster » Fri May 13, 2005 9:08 am

Hmm. My mum now likes 'everyday is like sunday' ever since I showed her the video. She started squealing 'thats just down the road!' 'thats our local shopping centre!' etc. Worse than I was...Dear dear.
alabaster

Postby Noonan McKane » Sat May 14, 2005 7:24 pm

...On the subject of Greek tourists:

Talk about the wrong place at the wrong time.....

In 1997, a coachload of Greek ladies were strafed by machine-gun fire as their coach sat in the car-park of the Antiquities Museum, Cairo. A great many of them were killed; almost all of the others were very seriously wounded.

This brilliant and courageous piece of guerrilla warfare was the work of the local Islamic Jihad mob, whose 'entefada' centred on Egypt's tourist industry. Egypt's economy would be in some serious strife without it's tourism, but these twats only care about shooting westerners and/or jews.

Jews...That was their error. Because these ladies were all dressed in the traditional garb of the Greek Orthodox church (which at a huge distance might be mistaken as 'jewish') and the coach they were in bore the Greek flag (which IS pale-blue and white, like Israel's) they thought: "f**k it. Let them have it."

They hate us westerners because they think we're barbarians.
i shouted out 'who killed the kennedys?' when after all it was you and me
Noonan McKane
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Sat May 14, 2005 7:32 pm

God, this is awful! I know many horrific stories like this one too. They do hate us, that's so worrying. And sad.
Narrow-mindedness can be a very destructive force.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Sun May 15, 2005 3:13 pm

My dad is the reason that I even started listening to The Smiths, as well as plenty of other bands which I now appreciate. We have very similar tastes in music which is excellent while on car journeys, and saves me money on buying albums occasionaly. My Mum didnt use to like The Smiths, saying that they were miserable, which is quite true i suppose, however i find the misery in the lyrics and Morrissey's delivery to be the thing that is most charming and intriguing about them. However she listened to "You are the Quarry" not long ago and said she liked it, saying that Morrisey's voice was very rich.
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/edcallow/" target="_blank">.</a>
The Boy with a thorn in his side
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Sun May 15, 2005 4:00 pm

it's pretty neato nifty spiffy that a lot of you have introduced your parents to the smiths. and even nifty-er spiffy-er that it was your parents who introduced you to the smiths.

my parents introduced me to bluegrass music by taking me to festivals every summer and fall.
under no circumstances would my folks show the slightest glimmer of insterest to the smiths; my ma is 70 and my pa is 74.

though it would be funny to see my 70 year old mother rock out to a rush and a push and the land is ours. <!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo-->
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Sun May 15, 2005 7:21 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-The Boy with a thorn in his side+May 15 2005, 03:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Boy with a thorn in his side @ May 15 2005, 03:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->My dad is the reason that I even started listening to The Smiths, as well as plenty of other bands which I now appreciate. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Ya, this is fabulous - that your dad has introduced you to something as special as The Smiths. Wish mine had done something of the kind for me - or anyone else for that matter. I am in fact very easily talked into listening to unfamiliar stuff and there are very few types of music I cannot - at least partially - enjoy. the only trouble is there is no-one around to talk me into anything and hmm, expand my horizons.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Sun May 15, 2005 7:24 pm

The fact that he owns every album and single on vynl helps too. Thanks Dad.
I have been introducing him to newer music recently, just to repay the favour.
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/edcallow/" target="_blank">.</a>
The Boy with a thorn in his side
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Sun May 15, 2005 9:46 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Still Ill+May 11 2005, 03:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Still Ill @ May 11 2005, 03:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Now if you were to ask what my kids think of my music... <!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo--><!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yah, Still_Ill, what do they think of their mother's musical tastes? Wanna let us know?
They are 4 and 8, have I got this right? Both of them boys? <!--emo&:o-->Image<!--endemo-->
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Mon May 16, 2005 7:34 am

Yeah, Stuart and Sean. (Honest, the Irish Blood, English Heart connection had nothing to do with my Smiths obsession. Believe me.) I've recently been affectionately labeled an ipod geek and music freak by my oldest. He's not really on 'my side' when it comes to music. He has no real opinion of music, really. He's going through this phase where he doesn't like my taste simply because I like it, like siblings! Now, he reckognizes Smiths songs and Moz' voice. And particular voices or sounds, like The Clash, AC/DC. He'll come around one day. The other night, he fell asleep listening to my ipod, at his request, so he's sitting on the fence. My younger one, now HE likes my music, asks me who sings what. I keep my kids up to date, whether they like it or not. <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby electric_russ » Mon May 16, 2005 6:52 pm

my parents are not very interested in music, the last album my father bought was Boz skaggs (circa 1969), and my mother isn't into anything that cannot be purchased at the local christian book store. wonderful people, please don't get me wrong, but not into things for pure pleasure.
There's a mean bone in my body.
electric_russ
Advanced

Previous

Return to Music Chat