I danced to The Smiths with...

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Mrs Shankly » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:21 am

...MARTIN GRECH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For anyone who doesn't know the music of this truly outstanding genius, BUY SOME! Just been to see him at the Colosseum in Coventry and, after continually harassing the dj to play The Smiths during the indie disco after the gig he eventually played How Soon Is Now?. At this point I noticed Grech flailing as enthusiastically as me and couldn't resist starting up a conversation, at which point I was invited to dance with him TO THE SMITHS!!!!!

Words cannot describe my utter elation <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--> <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
And if you have five seconds to spare, then I'll tell you the story of my life
Mrs Shankly

Postby elko » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:04 pm

So, err.....who?

Sorry, who is he? What does he do? Why and what should I get?
elko
Site Admin

Postby Mrs Shankly » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:53 pm

Ah, you're missing out... He's a sinister cross between Jeff Buckley, Mars Volta, Thom Yorke and something better than life itself. Buy 'Open Heart Zoo' urgently. He is also one of the sweetest, most shy young men I've ever met and flails like a pro to The Smiths. If you like intense, haunting lyrics and crushingly good melodies you'll love Martin Grech.

I've written more about him on <a href='http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/amandaavis/' target='_blank'>my blog</a>
Mrs Shankly

Postby Still Ill » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:41 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Mrs Shankly+Jun 5 2005, 08:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mrs Shankly @ Jun 5 2005, 08:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->If you like intense, haunting lyrics and crushingly good melodies you'll love Martin Grech.

<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Based on that I may have to search him out. I somehow knew that a quick and lazy search on iTunes would yield nothing. Didn't find him on your blog. I'll try a better search again later.

To share your girly enthusiasm, I got to dance briefly with Mike Joyce last year. <!--emo&:B-->Image<!--endemo-->
Last edited by Still Ill on Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Mrs Shankly » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:36 pm

The title of the relevant blog entry is "Joking aside this means everything to me. Tonight" (Grech lyrics from the song "Tonight" on his first album. Thought it was appropriate). His new album was out on Monday - "Unholy", and it's soooo good!! A lot darker than his debut album but I'm really getting into it.

So cool about dancing with Mike Joyce!! When and where???? Details please <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
Mrs Shankly

Postby Still Ill » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:51 pm

Went on his website. A little dark, is it more heavy rock in style? Didn't listen to enough to perhaps make a more favorable impression on me. I'll give it another try.

Mike and Andy did a DJ tour of the States early last year. I got to see them spin records after a Smiths tribute band played at the same venue. I posted it way back in the beginnings of this forum. Anyway, Mike just got out there and people crowded around him and danced with him and took pictures. Just the nicest guy. Completely open to conversation. He is still the coolest at his age! Andy was more reserved and stayed behind the DJ booth most of the time.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Return to Music Chat