The Dears - No more cities

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:19 pm

I bought this album as I heard 'The Death Of All The Romance' and fell in love with it. On listening to the album I was hugely confused and more than a litte diasspointed and very bored. Apart from 'don't lose the faith' and 'death of all the romance' the album is full of..i cant describe it. drony rubbish? anyone else heard it?
Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:20 am

Bored? If you don't care for the 'style' than, yes it may be boring. But, it's pretty much operetic, very orchestral, very grand, as opposed to a simple great 4-piece. But I love the mood of the music, even though Lightburn's vocals dips too low at times for my liking! (I've read his voice described as cabaret-style--which I think is quite fitting) I like the music, it's different. And he's a huge Moz fan. I love the first track, We Can Have It. Maybe a few more listens and it'll grow on you.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:14 pm

I have a whole bunch of Dears stuff that friends have sent me, and all that I have I really like, but admittedly I don't have the album- so far I love them dearly, they are interesting and fun, soothing sort of. Hehe, my next door neighbor and I were generic-ballroom dancing to some of their stuff :-P
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby alabaster crashes down (G » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:21 am

I've listenend to it about 6 times, and the song go on for too long without much happening.
alabaster crashes down (G

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:14 pm

Yay! I finally got a hardcopy of this CD and I looooove it!!! I think that it is beautiful, excepting a couple of moments that are rather grating on the ears, which was a stylistic choice of theirs that I am sure means something to them.

Speaking of, has anyone seen the <a href="http://www.atomfilms.com/af/content/the_dears_romance" target="_blank">Death of All Romance</a> video? Seriously amazing, I almost cried.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Rodchenko » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:37 am

The first half of the album is very nice indeed, but the second half is, and I quote: "Drony rubbish"...
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Are You Loathsome Tonight?
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Rodchenko
Smiths Nut!

Return to Music Chat