[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Strangeways • View topic - The Beatles

The Beatles

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby elko » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:12 pm

Because if anyone deserves a thread, they do.

Matt, if yer reading, tracks to try:-

Rain
Mother Nature's Son
The Night Before
Tomorrow Never Knows

I would also mention the obvious ones like Eleanor Rigby, Strawberry Fields Forever, etc., but I guess you've already heard them.

There are some decent bits and pieces in their solo careers too, #9 Dream is pretty good (Lennon), and loads of George Harrison's earlier stuff is great.

Anyway, for all random Beatles discussion...
elko
Site Admin

Postby Domestique » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:18 pm

Totally arbitrary Smiths/Beatles link: At one of the Dublin shows in 1984 Johnny went into the Day Tripper riff in the middle of one of the songs. Unfortunately I can't for the life of me remember which song they were playing at the time.

And to the list above, could I add I Am The Walrus, which is so jaw-droppingly brilliant that it may be the greatest song ever written. But that's just my humble (?) opinion.
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Sucrose/?chartstyle=basicrt10" target="_blank"> Image </a>
Domestique
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:32 pm

Ah yes, how could I forget that? So good, even the Oasis version sounds cool.

Great little gem of info there as well...got me thinking as to what song it could be Marr was playing. May have to track down the bootleg or something.
Last edited by elko on Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:59 am

usless info...the story of john and yoko was recorded with only mccaurtney and lennon

although i have seen a smiths cover of across the universe on some p2p sites, i do wonder how genuie it is

Postby elko » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:47 pm

I'm not sure, I think Johnny Marr's been on a couple of Beatles covers and stuff.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> usless info...the story of john and yoko was recorded with only mccaurtney and lennon<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

McCartney did a lot of Beatles stuff on his own by the end, as he was a capable drummer, for example 'Wild Honey Pie', and I think 'Why Don't We Do It The Road?' as well.

This Beatles talk makes me hungry for The White Album.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:44 pm

Don't know why I've never been a huge Beatles fan. Nothing to do with not liking their music, I do. I like what they each did after their split, especially Harrison, Wings came and went, ok, but I couldn't quite get into the Beatles experimental stage. I'm sure that's debatable, for starters what I'd consider experimental, I guess! But I did that with other bands that I didn't like then that I can appreciate now. Led Zeppelin for example, thought they were for the potheads back then, and couldn't admit for a long time how good their music is.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Domestique » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:38 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Jul 5 2005, 11:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Jul 5 2005, 11:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->

Great little gem of info there as well...got me thinking as to what song it could be Marr was playing. May have to track down the bootleg or something. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
According to Simon Goddard's "Songs That Saved Your Life" it was Jeane. But having spent so long unable to remember, I've now convinced myself it was I Want The One I Can't Have. He's probably right though.
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Sucrose/?chartstyle=basicrt10" target="_blank"> Image </a>
Domestique
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:52 pm

Does it say which gig, or one of the gigs he did it in? It's the sort of oddity that appeals to me.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Domestique » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:58 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Jul 8 2005, 10:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Jul 8 2005, 10:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Does it say which gig, or one of the gigs he did it in? It's the sort of oddity that appeals to me. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
The one I was at was the first November gig in Dublin (not sure of the exact date), but according to Goddard it was at least a semi-regular occurence around that time. What I do know is that at the earlier Dublin shows in May, there was no Day Tripper interlude. By the way, have you read the book? I'd hugely recommended it to anyone who's a Smiths fan.
Domestique
Smiths Nut!

Postby Domestique » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:28 pm

This started out as a Beatles thread, so I'm just trying to kickstart it again. Aren't the mid-period albums in particular (Rubber Soul, Revolver) crying out for a proper remastering? Listen to them with headphones and you'll see exactly what I mean! Stereo was at a very primitive stage when they were recorded, but that's no excuse in 20005.
Domestique
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:00 pm

Totally agree, in fact all the Beatles' stuff could do with what Bob Dylan/Rolling Stones etc have got, y'know, a proper digitally remastering (and maybe remixing, if it doesn't amount to sacrilege).

The only track I still think sounds incredible (in terms of sound rather than the song itself) is Tomorrow Never Knows. Still blows me away.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Domestique » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:21 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Jul 14 2005, 06:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Jul 14 2005, 06:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Totally agree, in fact all the Beatles' stuff could do with what Bob Dylan/Rolling Stones etc have got, y'know, a proper digitally remastering (and maybe remixing, if it doesn't amount to sacrilege).

The only track I still think sounds incredible (in terms of sound rather than the song itself) is Tomorrow Never Knows. Still blows me away.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
When I was young I could have great fun with those records. If I turned one speaker right down I'd just have music and no vocals so I could be John Lennon for a few minutes. Or George. Never McCartney for some reason! But that novelty has long since worn off...

I bought all the remastered Dylan stuff and it's a revelation. The worry was that for someone who was so haphazard, quick, and even downright careless in the studio, remastering might have sucked the soul out of the songs and made them sound sterile. But it didn't-and if it can work for him we need have no fear of losing the spontaneity of the Beatles recordings.

Perhaps the real reason they haven't been remastered yet is simply because the sales don't need a boost. Unlike Dylan or the Stones, all Beatles albums have been permanently available over the years, and at full-price too. Them sales just keep a-tickin' over.

I'd draw the line at remixing though-it probably would be sacrilege!
Last edited by Domestique on Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Domestique
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:28 pm

Great song, just so know one thinks I'm anti-Beatles after my two-cents on them, where I probably sounded mean-spirited!
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:37 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Domestique+Jul 14 2005, 07:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Domestique @ Jul 14 2005, 07:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> When I was young I could have great fun with those records. If I turned one speaker right down I'd just have music and no vocals so I could be John Lennon for a few minutes. Or George. Never McCartney for some reason! But that novelty has long since worn off...

I bought all the remastered Dylan stuff and it's a revelation. The worry was that for someone who was so haphazard, quick, and even downright careless in the studio, remastering might have sucked the soul out of the songs and made them sound sterile. But it didn't-and if it can work for him we need have no fear of losing the spontaneity of the Beatles recordings.

Perhaps the real reason they haven't been remastered yet is simply because the sales don't need a boost. Unlike Dylan or the Stones, all Beatles albums have been permanently available over the years, and at full-price too. Them sales just keep a-tickin' over.

I'd draw the line at remixing though-it probably would be sacrilege! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Quite true, the Dylan reissues are incredible. Blood On The Tracks and Highway 61 Revisited in particular.

It's true though that you never see Beatles albums in the sale (I don't have Abbey Road on CD yet, arrgh!), and I guess your reasoning is sound.

By remixing, I just meant, y'know, adjusting volume levels here and there, as you would expect by from age of them, there is some naivety in the production of it (and as you mentioned, the naff stereo by which everything is panned to one side or the other).
elko
Site Admin

Postby Domestique » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:38 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Still Ill+Jul 14 2005, 07:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Still Ill @ Jul 14 2005, 07:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Great song, just so know one thinks I'm anti-Beatles after my two-cents on them, where I probably sounded mean-spirited! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
It's an incredible song, considering where music was at the time and the (lack of) technology avaiable. If people ask me "What was so great about the Beatles, weren't they over-rated?", I play them Tomorrow Never Knows and I Am The Walrus and rest my case! There's more imagination and invention in just those two songs than most bands can manage in an entire career.

Oh, I certainly didn't think you were being mean-spirited-all you seemed to be saying was that they kind of pass you by. Or am I wrong?
Domestique
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to Music Chat