[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Strangeways • View topic - The Beatles

The Beatles

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby This Bird has Flown » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:11 pm

This Bird has Flown
Advanced

Postby chicken » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:05 am

chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby stanyewest » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:26 pm

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not a huge Beatles fan, John Lennon went to the school behind my house<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
On first reading I thought you were saying you disliked the Beatles because John Lennon went to school behind your house.

As for Beatles, most important band ever, not just for music but for culture and life, great band I like their music listenin 'back in the USSR' at the moment and loving it.
most people gaze not into the future or the past;they explore neither truth nor lies. they gaze at the TV.
stanyewest
Supreme

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Wed May 24, 2006 4:51 pm

I was in a pub yesterday that played Beatles music for about an hour.

After this fresh dose, I'm sorry but have to stake my earlier claim. It doesn't 'do it' for me, even though I enjoy hearing it at the time being played. But once I left the pub, I just didn't feel tempted to play more Beatles music once I arrived home.

Must say that I enjoy Eight Days A Week and You Got To Hide Your Love Away, at those moments they played that songs I really thought like "this sounds brilliant and fresh". However, during "I want to hold your hand" and "Love me do" I was about to scream 'Hang the DJ' :ph34r:

So I stick with my conclusions: brilliant albums in their psychedelic period, the early works just don't move me or don't fascinate me. So good band, but they will not come close to Bauhaus, Echo & The Bunnymen or the Smiths for me.

By the way, is it true that Paul McCartney and his wife Heather are about to divorce, or is that just a rumour?
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Wed May 24, 2006 7:21 pm

Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Wed May 24, 2006 7:58 pm

You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Wed May 24, 2006 9:10 pm

elko
Site Admin

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu May 25, 2006 2:30 am

I know those albums, my dad played them loads of times. Not a fan of their early work as I said, though "Please please me" still sounds fresh and catchy I must admit. "Norwegian wood" was their first truely great song in their career IMO, they were very young still but it was a very mature song.
Last edited by Cracked Pleasures on Thu May 25, 2006 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Sat May 27, 2006 6:31 am

I really think that Heather was a 'rebound relationship' for Paul. how can any woman compare to Linda for him? the length of their relationship, and how earth-core deep his grief was in witnessing her die in his very hands? he'll never recapture that love, no matter how hard he tries. (not the happiest thought, but reality isn't always happy, yes?)
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Sat May 27, 2006 8:19 am

Helter Skelter, what a song! That's hard rock.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Sat May 27, 2006 8:46 am

chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sun May 28, 2006 7:58 pm

I disagree with that. Helter Skelter is far from metal, both lyrically and musically it leans towards harder rock but definitely not metal. Compare it to a true piece of metal and notice the difference in guitarworks alone. I am not saying Helter Skelter is a bad song, it's one of the best ones the Beatles have done and I enjoy it to the full whenever I heard it. But it's not metal, at least that's my opinion.

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Mon May 29, 2006 2:05 am

Yes, it's not metal, like I've said, it's hard rock.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Mon May 29, 2006 6:00 pm

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Mon May 29, 2006 9:06 pm

You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to Music Chat