[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Strangeways • View topic - The Beatles

The Beatles

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Miserable Liar » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:29 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-chicken+Dec 9 2005, 12:19 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chicken @ Dec 9 2005, 12:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> the man (Paul McCartney) is a musical genius. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Agreed!
Last edited by Miserable Liar on Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:13 am

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Taxman - The Beatles

"Let me tell you how it will be, it's 1 for you 19 for me.....caus' i'm the taxman!" <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

bloody hell I never realised that, mind you I always preferred The Jam take on the song tbh ("Start"), but getting back to that lyric no wonder Lennon effed off to the U.S. (was it true btw tho') did they only get a shilling (5p) out of every pound they got paid?

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:04 pm

Well, they were only getting 5% of their earnings. George discovered this, got pissed off and wrote this song. It's great. Although, I found out Paul played the guitar on this track, wether he wrote it is another subject i'm trying to find out.
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:14 pm

Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:16 pm

I really like their cover actually, they make it interesting by changing the time signature. And I like the way he goes off into all the other songs...and into 'Books' as well at one point :D

Quite possible that the Beatles are the most hyped band ever, but I don't think they can be considered the most overrated. After all, they did have talent, and they did change the world. The actual music is only a matter of opinion, as with all bands. (Not that I'm trying to dismiss your opinion in the slightest, but there does seem to be a weird sort of thing where people whose parents love the Beatles end up disliking them. Personally I've loved them of my own free will since I first heard them...aged 5 or so.) And don't worry about offending any fans, disagreement doesn't nesseccarily mean an argument.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Bref » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:24 pm

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Quite possible that the Beatles are the most hyped band ever<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

no, that accolade goes to the mediocre U2
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Book Antiqua--><span style="font-family:Book Antiqua"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial Narrow--><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->Half of the time we're gone but we don't know where,
we don't know where.
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Bref
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:25 pm

Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:36 pm

Ah fair enough. Can't understand it though. When I listen to the early stuff it still sounds as fresh as anything could sound, and the later stuff still sounds perfect.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:14 am

The later albums (Sgt Peppers, Rubber Soul, ...) contained some really good stuff that I enjoy listening (although not to the extend that I often spontaneously play it, but I can enjoy it when it's played in a club or so) but the first albums are too poppy for me. The lyrics were rather mediocre in the early years (songs like She Loves You, Please Please Me, Ticket To Ride, ...) and that kinda takes my interest away in the records. I am too much into lyrics to get passionate about music where the lyrics are secondary. In the later records, the lyrics and music get more interesting, though as I said it somehow doesn't move me enough to listen to it frequently.

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Friday-Mourning » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:23 am

The Beatles would have to be my favourite band of all-time and "Abbey Road" my favourite album. Lennon/McCartney was an incredible partnership and one that's yet to be equalled.

Morrissey/Marr backlash in 5...4...
Friday-Mourning

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:29 am

Morrissey/Marr and McCulloch/Sergeant are much better than Lennon/McCartney. I prefer U2 to Beatles as well personally when it comes to the mainstream succesful rock acts.

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Catherine » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:07 pm

Catherine

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:32 pm

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:04 pm

chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby HandsomeDevil » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:08 pm

HandsomeDevil
Supreme

PreviousNext

Return to Music Chat