the pixies to bring out new album

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby clarky » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:59 pm

yes people...we have been the pixies reform....now it is confirmed an album shall be made...any else like the idea?
clarky
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:43 pm

At the risk of sounding dull and obvious, it depends if it's good or not.

I think it's fine in principle for reformed bands to make new albums though, as it seems worse just to reform, play live a bit, take the money and run as it were. So here's hoping The La's follow suit!
elko
Site Admin

Postby this_charming_girl » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:52 pm

ooooh pixies!!! <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--> how fantastic!
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby clarky » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:27 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Jul 15 2005, 02:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Jul 15 2005, 02:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> At the risk of sounding dull and obvious, it depends if it's good or not.

I think it's fine in principle for reformed bands to make new albums though, as it seems worse just to reform, play live a bit, take the money and run as it were. So here's hoping The La's follow suit! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
i think the las are actually looking for a record deal, they have been playing some new songs
clarky
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:40 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-clarky+Jul 15 2005, 01:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clarky @ Jul 15 2005, 01:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> yes people...we have been the pixies reform....now it is confirmed an album shall be made...any else like the idea? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Clarky, just made my night, i'll wet my whistle abit to celebrate!
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby Domestique » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:10 pm

I'm with Elko on this one; we won't know if it's a good idea till we hear it! I'd be pessimistic though, as I'm doubtful the new material could possibly have the same power and intensity so many years down the road. The thrill of Pixies was always a visceral one (the aural equivalent of being run over by a steamroller), and I'm not sure lightning can strike twice. Besides, Black Francis just doesn't seem to write 'em like he used to!

If the new album was anywhere close to the first half of Doolittle, the world would be a wonderful place. But I think it's more likely to sound like the second half (and I don't mean Hey! Unfortunately).
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Sucrose/?chartstyle=basicrt10" target="_blank"> Image </a>
Domestique
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:35 pm

Yeah, 'Hey' is just about my favourite Pixies track.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:16 pm

well after hearing there recent studio cover of aint that pretty at all they still seem to have that magic together, but weather frank can write another great album is one thing, devils workshop was brilliant

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:05 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Jul 17 2005, 06:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Jul 17 2005, 06:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Yeah, 'Hey' is just about my favourite Pixies track. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
ahh yes its mine too! i love that song!! <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->

Postby this_charming_girl (Guest » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:06 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Guest+Jul 19 2005, 06:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest @ Jul 19 2005, 06:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-elko+Jul 17 2005, 06:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Jul 17 2005, 06:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Yeah, 'Hey' is just about my favourite Pixies track. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
ahh yes its mine too! i love that song!! <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
ahh for some reason i cant log in, that was me who posted that by the way! <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
this_charming_girl (Guest

Postby chicken » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:27 pm

can't believe i missed this thread.

i caught them on a public tele show called: "Austin City Limits" a few months back when they were gearing up for their tour. none of the magic is gone, IMHO.

since the band broke up, frank black has been rather prolific in his own works. i'll be the first in line to say that the majority of his solo work is utterly wonderful. most of his stuff could easily be done by the pixies.

you know, kim and frank really don't get along very well. but when i saw them on that show, and heard their voices together......wow. almost as if their voices were made for each other.

i'll save any prognostications about their 'new' album until i hear it.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Return to Music Chat