Songs That Make You Cry

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby chicken » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:08 pm

"It's All Right" by Van Morrison.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:26 am

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Aug 13 2005, 11:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Aug 13 2005, 11:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I will admit to hating that song entirely. I've had hour long arguments (over MSN) about it's merits. I won. Or rather, I didn't give up.

We were discussing the NIN version though, I will admit that the video for Johnny Cash's is quite special.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
johnny cash-
do you know why he always wore black?

his background is amazing, the utter and complete poverty of his childhood, how he mis-handled his stardom to be lost unto an abyss of excessive drug abuse, how his wife and his love of her was his saving grace, and how he came out of all of that with a reverance and humility that few 'stars' have achieved.....

i guess, in a way, it's similar to knowing every facet of Moz. the more you know of the man, the more context you have to appreciate his works and what they mean and what they might mean.

perhaps it was fate that i wasn't on MSN with you during those discussions, elko. i got a stubborn streak in me as wide as the atlantic, and i would never have forsaken johnny.

regardless, any country star in his 70's who saw it wise to cover beck or NIN takes the cake in my book.
he's too many songs that make me cry to list.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Mr-Shankly » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:11 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-chicken+Aug 24 2005, 03:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chicken @ Aug 24 2005, 03:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-elko+Aug 13 2005, 11:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Aug 13 2005, 11:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I will admit to hating that song entirely. I've had hour long arguments (over MSN) about it's merits. I won. Or rather, I didn't give up.

We were discussing the NIN version though, I will admit that the video for Johnny Cash's is quite special.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
johnny cash-
do you know why he always wore black?

his background is amazing, the utter and complete poverty of his childhood, how he mis-handled his stardom to be lost unto an abyss of excessive drug abuse, how his wife and his love of her was his saving grace, and how he came out of all of that with a reverance and humility that few 'stars' have achieved.....

i guess, in a way, it's similar to knowing every facet of Moz. the more you know of the man, the more context you have to appreciate his works and what they mean and what they might mean.

perhaps it was fate that i wasn't on MSN with you during those discussions, elko. i got a stubborn streak in me as wide as the atlantic, and i would never have forsaken johnny.

regardless, any country star in his 70's who saw it wise to cover beck or NIN takes the cake in my book.
he's too many songs that make me cry to list. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
The Man Comes Around. God I love that song.
Names, secret names. But never in my favour.
Mr-Shankly
Smiths Nut!

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:18 pm

can't not by alanis

undertow by rem
I'm breaking through, I'm bending spoons
I'm keeping flowers in full bloom.
I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:09 am

This Love Affair by Rufus Wainwright
Simple, yet dark and intense, just as I like it (well, I am nuts about this guy in any case <!--emo&:rolleyes:-->Image<!--endemo--> )
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:13 pm

last night i was observing the anniversary of the beslan terrorist strike and found images i'd never seen before

so i threw on beethoven's "Pathetique" and wept and wept and wept.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:23 am

elko
The Last Letter - The Field Mice
I've never heard of it I'm intrigued, I'll have to see if I can find it now, thanks.

love

Grim

P.s. oh have to agree to many of the crying choices & I'd add Brenda Lee's version of 'All Alone Am I'.

P.p.s. chicken
it's late now so I've no music on but that picture alone is upsetting, gawd knows what I'd be like if I had music on!

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:32 am

elko got me hooked on the Field Mice. The Last Letter is precious. Will check to see if it's up somewhere here Grim.

What a heart-wrenching photo. Hug your loved ones everybody.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:02 pm

Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve. I always imagine the end scenes from Cruel Intentions (which made me cry) and in turn the song makes me cry.

<!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo-->
I'm breaking through, I'm bending spoons
I'm keeping flowers in full bloom.
I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:36 pm

^ That's a good one.

Lately I can't stop playing B&S's 'I'm Waking Up to Us'. The swirling strings! That's all it takes to get me choked up.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby this_charming_girl » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:13 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Still Ill+Oct 10 2005, 08:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Still Ill @ Oct 10 2005, 08:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Lately I can't stop playing B&S's 'I'm Waking Up to Us'. The swirling strings! That's all it takes to get me choked up. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
YES! i agree! and lots of other b+s too of course!!
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby rEEdy^^ » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:19 am

The Smiths - Suffer little children
rEEdy^^
Supreme

Postby Grim O'Grady » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:49 am

<!--QuoteBegin-rEEdy^^+Oct 11 2005, 08:19 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rEEdy^^ @ Oct 11 2005, 08:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> The Smiths - Suffer little children <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
excellent choice, it doesn't actually make me cry but it does make the hairs on the back of neck stand on edge.

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:52 am

<!--QuoteBegin-the_queen_is_dead+Oct 10 2005, 08:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (the_queen_is_dead @ Oct 10 2005, 08:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve. I always imagine the end scenes from Cruel Intentions (which made me cry) and in turn the song makes me cry.

<!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo--><!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Really? I actually find this song kinda uplifting. But then again, I haven't seen Cruel Intentions and don't associate it with anything in particular.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby rEEdy^^ » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:15 am

The verve were a really good band, still are. 'I know its over' seems to be a populer choice with everyone. but suffer little children gets me the worst, i can remember the first time i heard that on 'the smiths' vinyl.....very moving!!
rEEdy^^
Supreme

PreviousNext

Return to Music Chat