The Rolling Stones

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Noonan McKane » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:51 am

The Rolling Stones are the greatest ever rock and roll band.

Discuss.

(I just didn't like the fact there was a Beatles one......)
i shouted out 'who killed the kennedys?' when after all it was you and me
Noonan McKane
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:02 am

First off, welcome back Noonan!
Can't pinpoint them as the single greatest rock n' roll band around, but they're certainly one of the greats that have sustained pretty nicely over the years, in my humble opinion.

I love their older stuff, Satisfaction has to be the best. I love the little opening riff of 19th Nervous Breakdown, and I love their cover of Ain't Too Proud to Beg. Those just off the top of my head. I couldn't begin to make an intelligent assessment of them, and there are loads of their stuff I haven't heard. (I've never owned a 'proper' album, I have one version of their many greatest hits only.)

Then I went through an early 80's love affair with them when it appeared they were re-emerging in popularity: Shattered, Emotional Rescue, She's So Cold. You know, the radio hits.

They're too big now. (When weren't they? Today, you can't access their website without registering. That kind of big). I did get to see them in concert several years back, great as performers, it goes without saying. That's' it in a nutshell!

Looking forward to reading your assessment of them. <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:50 am

I don't like them.

Exile On Main Street is an awfully overrated album, a bunch of old blokes playing the blues, nothankyou.

Jumping Jack Flash is a good song, but the La's version is better.
Last edited by elko on Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:28 am

It sounds like you're describing Aerosmith. Well, I do like Toys in the Attic (come on!), wrong thread again? <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo--> (songs you're ashamed of liking)
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:50 am

And Noonan, I know you're likely to say that it doesn't count or something, but their new single ('Streets Of Love') is the worst noise I have ever heard. Whereas Paul McCartney's new one is actually quite good, I think.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:55 am

Based on that (new singles by both) I must be more indie than I realize, according to the test. <!--emo&:o-->Image<!--endemo-->
(elko, I had you pegged for an indie elitist)

Hm, I'm off in search of these new singles. Would now be a good time to confess I have Stones tickets we hope to sell on ebay in November? <!--emo&:ph34r:-->Image<!--endemo-->
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:59 am

It comes from living in a Radio 2 household. But indie elitist I am not, whatever that test says.

For those non-UK people, Radio 2 = music by old people, for old people.

Whereas Radio 1 is presumably what all the hip young people like myself should be listening to <!--emo&<_<-->Image<!--endemo-->
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:06 am

Didn't mean to offend about the indie elitist thing, but you have to admit you're pretty strong in your convictions, though that in itself doesn't make one an indie snob. I know you have a good appreciation for other types of music. So oops.

BBC radio is pretty clearcut. I've always wish we had something similar here in the States. Instead every radio station has it's own website, it's not all in one place like Radio 1, for instance.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:12 am

Haven't heard that much of their material, to be honest. I totally adore Angie and I Miss You, but many of the other songs haven't had some niticeable impact on me.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:14 am

You have to register on McCartney's site to listen to the new single, just like the Stones. <!--emo&<_<-->Image<!--endemo-->
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:20 am

Ah yeah, I just remembered I'm actually registered on there. I'm not claiming it's incredible or anything, just it's nice to hear him with a bit of enthusiasm, and Nigel Godrich's influence is incredibly clear.
elko
Site Admin

Return to Music Chat