NMH

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Still Ill » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:13 am

<!--QuoteBegin-chicken+Sep 8 2005, 03:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chicken @ Sep 8 2005, 03:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->it's an emo-opera!!!

<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's a knee-slapper there! <!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo-->

I did listen to Naomi this afternoon. *insert smug, proud smilie here*
I've grown to like this song.

Isn't it great showing such passion for a band you really love? More intriguing seeing it displayed for a band you know little about. <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:51 pm

'In The Aeroplane Over The Sea' is been re-released shortly in the UK, which means not only are there no excuses for not owning it, but also that the mainstream music magazines are reviewing it.

UNCUT gave it 4/5, and it felt like 20 per cent of my soul had been ripped out. I then bashed my head against a wall for a couple of hours on behalf of the British music press.
elko
Site Admin

Postby chicken » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:00 pm

i've bashed my head upon walls on behalf of musical "reviews" enough to unite nations.
at least it's not a 2/5, though i've no clue what UNCUT is all about.
NMH is beauty, beholder or not elko, you know that.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:42 pm

<a href='http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/n/neutral-milk-hotel/in-the-aeroplane-over-the-sea.shtml' target='_blank'>http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/n...r-the-sea.shtml</a>

This made me happy enough, really.

I love anyone who loves this album, basically.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:49 pm

I'll have to take the time to read it. Some of their reviews are so so long, but generally enjoyable to read. Just a couple of times have I wondered where the review was going.
Speaking of music review sites, this one caught my eye at m-solo, <a href='http://www.popjunkie.tv/2005/09/send_a_review_w.html' target='_blank'>pop junkie</a>
elko, I think you should submit some of your reviews, hullo btw.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:55 pm

Just a reminder that 'In The Aeroplane Over The Sea' is now in ALL GOOD RECORDS STORES in the UNITED KINGDOM, and HMV too.

Seize the opportunity, please, Britons!

(It is a pretty good review, that Pitchfork one, in terms of the score- yes, I do believe records can be scored accurately- but only the third paragraph actually equates to the record, in my opinion.)
elko
Site Admin

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:10 pm

NMH whassit stand for?
Should I buy their records?
wehat is the meaning of life? don't try to fob me off with that '42' crap.
Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:54 pm

NMH stands for Neutral Milk Hotel. The album 'In The Aeroplane Over The Sea' is out in the shops now for the first time in my notice (i.e. since I first wanted the album a year or so ago).

Personally I rate it one of the top two or three albums ever made, but I can't really speak for anyone but myself. Put it this way, it's not gonna get you any further from discovering the meaning of life....
elko
Site Admin

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:34 pm

I'm quite interested, I've seen their album on ebay, but I dont want to buy it if I won't like it. I've seen their lyrics, what's their music like. I'm really not a fan of 'drony-pointless-go-nowhere' music, such as The Dears last album. - I want to stamp on that album, ten quid it cost me, all for two songs i liked... -
Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:11 pm

alabaster:
a lot of the music you have talked about on this forum is not familiar to me; thus, there's few comparisons i can make that i think will communicate NMH's music.

a lot of it is acoustic, then agian, a lot of it isn't. it definitely does not have the usual musical construction of your typical pop song that is predictable and so droll anymore. sometimes they have horns come in. sometimes it's quiet acoustic guitars, an harmonium, and gentle reedy percussion.....that slowly builds and then breaks into frantic maniacal music--sometimes the precussion gets so vigorous and intense you want to tell the guy to take a breath.
there's a share of hypnotic patterns, easy to hear stuff.

i just turned on song against sex....one of my all time favs.
it's almost agressive playing for NMH....strong and driving percussion, plenty of layers of guitar, and horns that come in so succintly it should be illegal in civilized nations.

like virutally all music though, there's a vast difference between reading the lyrics versus hearing them sung by the songwrite. jeff mangum has this voice...it floats between mourning and utter despair...and then breaks into this strange exhuberant joy, this celebration of life. and he can hold a note--can he ever hold a note!! i swear he has had the lungs of a whale transplanted into his chest cavity. and it's not just holding a note, it's being able to rattle off line after line after line after line...and i try to hear where he takes a breath, but usually can't pick it up.

"you've passed" just came on. this --almost syrupy-- electric guitar with fuzz. steady simple percussion. and it's all about jeff finding out about his grandmothers death, he wrote it in a closet, weeping his poor eyes out.

you know, you can always buy it, and if you don't like it, pawn it off onto someone else. seriously, music like this should not be buried. and i promise to respect your opinion if you can't stand the stuff, because i've met people who despise the music.

<<time to turn it down, i'm at work and students are curiously peering into my office>>
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:13 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-chicken+Oct 6 2005, 05:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chicken @ Oct 6 2005, 05:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> alabaster:
a lot of the music you have talked about on this forum is not familiar to me; <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I only talk about The Smiths, don't I?

But thankyou for explaining it to me. I will probably buy it. <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Last edited by Alabaster Crashes Down on Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:47 pm

Chicken (or anyone else, I guess)- have you ever delved into the trove of rarer NMH stuff around? Although the Aeroplane reissue is getting a lot of stereo time, 'Engine' and 'Everything Is' are two of my very very favourites.
elko
Site Admin

Postby chicken » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:13 pm

i just finished listening to "bucket"
of the little i've found thus far, my favourite.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:14 am

I have 'the aeroplane over the sea' clutched in my hand, encased in the gaudy red and yellow of a virgin megastore bag. I'm currently in an internet cafe. I will play it when I get home. wish me luck!
Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:47 pm

<!--emo&:unsure:-->Image<!--endemo-->

and your review, my fair lady?
chicken
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to Music Chat