All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Alabaster crashes » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:57 pm

<!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->

Well, I lurved it! Well, some of it.
Alabaster crashes

Postby elko » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:00 pm

Wonderful! I think I can say with some confidence, that it's a grower.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:48 pm

There are some tracks which didnt grab me, 'oh comely' for example, but I really liked ;the king of carrot flowers' part one and 'the aeroplane over the sea' and 'two headed boy'
Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:46 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Oct 8 2005, 11:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Oct 8 2005, 11:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Wonderful! I think I can say with some confidence, that it's a grower. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
i think you have it right, "grower" indeed!!

glad you like it alabaster <!--emo&:B-->Image<!--endemo--> <!--emo&:music:-->Image<!--endemo-->
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:54 pm

Bump. 'Cause they're still great.

Engine is my favourite song to play in the world.

NMH are the only band I put on EVERY mixtape I make. Because you can't risk someone not having heard them, someone missing out on them.
elko
Site Admin

Postby chicken » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:07 am

<<<applause smilie>>> bump, indeed.

omg. i don't know engine. i don't have it!!
<!--emo&:blink:-->Image<!--endemo-->
gaaahhhh!!! <!--emo&:o-->Image<!--endemo-->

"...can't risk someone not having heard them,..."
an excellent summation.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:11 am

My very favourite-most version of it is on the Jeff Mangum live thing that was released. If you'd download it, then I'll upload it here.

What on earth are "cambridge stocks and strolls"? Magic all the same...
elko
Site Admin

Postby chicken » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:39 am

found my acoustic version (just jeff and a guitar, that's IT) of gardenhead/leave me alone.

it's been in my car.
holy cow, i love these guys.
"someone is waiting" is an absolutely inspiring song.

didn't someone recently receive on avery island in the post? somewhere, somehow, someone should've. it's gritty genius.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:47 am

I'm not sure how much interest you take in bootlegs and such, but there are some recently unearthed demos <a href='http://pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-12/01.shtml' target='_blank'>here</a>. Haven't even checked them out yet, for some reason I don't feel compelled to.

I think ACD recently got On Avery Island, if that's what you mean. It's incredible and many more superlatives, but far less accessible than Aeroplane. It's not often I stick on 'Pree-Sisters Swallowing A Donkey's Eye' for a bit of a jump around the living room, y'know.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:58 am

Well, now I can check out what Beck has to offer, too. <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--> <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:41 am

I played NMH in my car for the first time the other day. The song 'Oh Comely' came on.

My oldest son:
"This song sounds familiar, what is this?"

Me:
"No, you've never heard this one. It's Neutral Milk Hotel."

Younger son:
"Noootril Milk Hotel?" (Completely amused by the name)

Oldest son:
"What's up with the name Death Cab for Cutie?!" (completely out of nowhere)

Just a cool little conversation we had. Discussing music with them is getting to be real fun now. <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:35 am

***BUMP***

i was going to post this in the "what are you listening to right now?" thread. but this band just might stand a chance of being 'established' on this forum right beside moz and co.

things go in cycles. as my indulgence in the king of carrot flowers and you've passed fading into someone is waiting. after a famine on this music, the feast is so utterly sweet........
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:33 pm

It's strange; I only liked them for a short while - I have gone right off them, they bore me now. When I hear the intro to 'the king of carrot flowers' or the 'aeroplane over the sea' I just want to cry with weariness and boredom. So many bands have this effect on me now, but I suppose NMH is the most immediate.
Last edited by Alabaster Crashes Down on Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:20 pm

<a href="http://pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/Jeff_Mangum_Returns" target="_blank">http://pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/Jeff_Mangum_Returns</a>

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hello again.

for the past few months ive been putting together the pieces of everything ive written in the past three years and its been a revelation. whenever i had the time ive been writing melodies and keeping them in my head for later, and songs just accumulate, im not waiting as some have said. i still dont know how we’re going to put it all together, the songs will have more noises and collages in them. because of that we dont know whether this will be korena pang or neutral milk hotel or michael bolton but that doesnt really matter. names are just a box we put things in to separate them, and we’re figuring out what box these songs go in.

we dont have a timetable for releasing the album yet, so dont get your hopes up for new songs now. if you want more “aeroplane” just ignore all of this, the songs are songs but they’re longer and more free. when jeremy came down after his tour we just spent days playing noise while screaming and it was incredibly liberating.

it has been so much fun that we will for sure be playing a show or two, probably more. freedom is a wonderful thing but at a certain point you need the routines of normal life. ive had that for a while but i realized last year at the show with the livys that the best sort of normal ive ever had was on the road with my friends. getting to gigs late with cars coughing and trombones smacking on doors, the giant egg leaks over the masses, the yolk sustains us, we eat whites for days. it can never be the same but i need to get as close as i can to that again.

so thats all. everything is happening soon, this is the year.
thanks for listening. jeff.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

EDIT: All false.
Last edited by elko on Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Miserable Liar » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:25 pm

I love them, I only have 'In the Aeroplane Over the Sea' but I think it says enough. I love albums that immediatly grow on you and this one did just that.
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to Music Chat