[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Strangeways • View topic - Echo & The Bunnymen - Siberia

Echo & The Bunnymen - Siberia

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby HadjiQuest » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:39 pm

I already saw someone mention it in another of the threads, and it hits this week, so I figured I'd make the thread.

I just preordered my copy from amazon, and I know<a href='http://www.bunnymen.com/' target='_blank'> the Bunnymen's website</a> had a stream up of clips.
HadjiQuest
Supreme

Postby elko » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:49 pm

Well, this may as well be our general Bunnymen thread then!

Ocean Rain is my favourite album of all time.

For those who've heard it, how does Siberia rank with other albums? I've not read overly positive stuff, I must admit.
elko
Site Admin

Postby chicken » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:04 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Sep 17 2005, 10:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Sep 17 2005, 10:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Ocean Rain is my favourite album of all time.
<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
assuming you know reverberation?
what little i've read says that they 'went back' to their roots.
secretly i'm hoping reverberation has not lost its mark.

"criticisms are like armpits. everyone has at least two and they all stink."
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:18 pm

I've not heard it, no. Should do, I guess. But they're just one of those bands where I feel I know I'll never get anything like Ocean Rain again. Some of the other stuff I like (bits of Crocodile, the first parts of Porcupine), but nothing really comes close to the experience of Ocean Rain. From start to finish it is literally perfect.
Last edited by elko on Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elko
Site Admin

Postby HadjiQuest » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:45 pm

Alright.

It's alright. Not sure what to compare it to.... it's sort of like Echo & The Bunnymen (the album); it's pure pop, and it's good, but it's not great.
HadjiQuest
Supreme

Postby chicken » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:06 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-HadjiQuest+Sep 26 2005, 08:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (HadjiQuest @ Sep 26 2005, 08:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Alright.

It's alright. Not sure what to compare it to.... it's sort of like Echo & The Bunnymen (the album); it's pure pop, and it's good, but it's not great. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
finally got my hands on this.
hhhmmm....hadji is right. i'd compare it to flowers, but i like flowers more.

though tracks 8, 9, & 10 are pretty nice.

[edit] i must add, quite emphatically so, that "REVERBERATION" is my favorite release by echo and his little bunnies. i personally rank that heads and shoulders above all others (at the risk of knowing elko will have a raised eyebrow at this assertion <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--> ). it's way off the normal echo mark, and i utterly adore that disc.
Last edited by chicken on Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:10 pm

Ocean Rain, Ocean Rain, Ocean Rain.....
elko
Site Admin

Postby chicken » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:48 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Oct 27 2005, 10:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Oct 27 2005, 10:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Ocean Rain, Ocean Rain, Ocean Rain..... <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
i have that on right now, as a matter of fact. after that last post i thought: "man, i should give ocean rain a spin to see what elko sees."

proud to say: holy of holiest cows, i'd forgotten how beautiful nocturnal me is.

oh man. the killing moon.
yeah, elkster, i might give in to saying they are equal, but not one better than the next.

time to go blow my eardrums out. <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo--> <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:40 am

this definitely deserves a double post; unless you don't like echo and his little bunny friends--and in which case, you need professional help <!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo-->

i got on the hunt for ocean rain, thinking in the back of my head that someone, at some time, had said that they had some sort of "bonus tracks" edition of it. i distinctly remember thinking at the time that one did not need any bonus tracks, what was there was enough.

but elko barked and i jumped and i found it.
the disc has 17 tracks. after ocean rain (see below), the following are on it:
-angels and devils
-all you need is love (yes, a cover from you know who)
-the killing moon (live studio, i think just a cello or two on the side, not a full orchestra; very acoustic regardless)
-stars are stars (almost sounds like a studio recording that didn't make the final cut, a really good song; the instrumentation is interesting)
-villiers terrace (live, but probably in a studio, 6:02 long and very catchy jams)
-silver (live studio, sounds like same set as the killing moon)
-my kingdom (live concert--sounds like a great concert to have been at)
-ocean rain (live concert--omg. ooomg. amazing performance, plus it was their curtain call. very cool to hear him say a few words to the crowd at the end)

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Geneva'>ocean rain</span></span>, the title track. elko, i think you might be totally right on this...
that track really gets deep into me ...perhaps i'm just watery...
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:48 pm

I definately mentioned to someone that it's the only re-issued album where the bonus tracks actually add something.

All You Need Is Love is incredible, when he's sticking lyrics from everywhere in there.

<!--emo&:B-->Image<!--endemo-->
elko
Site Admin

Postby chicken » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:42 am

okay. so here it is.

IF i ever meet sir elko in person, i owe him two things:

a kick in the butt for utterly derailing my own musical choices.
and a big hug for turning me to ocean.

only a poem could evoke how "ocean rain" utterly melts me, and even a good poem would fall lightyears short. possibly on the 'perfect track' list for me.

thank you elko.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Beorn_J » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:07 am

ocean rain is perfection.

echo and the bunnymen are legends.
Beorn_J
Supreme

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:54 pm

I saw Echo and the Bunnymen listed on a goth club compliation- kind of made me laugh thinking of hardcore goths dancing around to Bring On The Dancing Horses
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Mozzerella » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:14 pm

<a href='http://www.last.fm/user/Mozaic/?chartstyle=MeatisMurder' target='_blank'>Image</a>
Mozzerella
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:33 pm

The Killing Moon is good beyond words... :P
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to Music Chat