Talking Heads

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Dave » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:15 pm

Hey,

I have recently become a huge Talking Heads fan. The Talking Heads are even competing with my favorite 80s band: the Smiths. Although, I don't see music as a competition. I love both bands. I was just wondering if anyone else was a fan?
Dave
Advanced

Postby Still Ill » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:03 am

Yep! I never collected their albums or anything. I recently got '77 though. Great party music, too.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Amuseddaysleeper » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:08 am

remain in light is their definitive LP
Amuseddaysleeper

Postby rubygirl » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:45 am

I really like the Talking Heads; David Byrne's voice sounds very interesting to me and so does the music. The Lady Don't Mind is my favourite song of theirs.
Last edited by rubygirl on Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:57 pm

'77 is just the ultimate debut album. The other stuff I can take or leave, really.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Grim O'Grady » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:16 pm

I've never really listened to any of The Talking Heads stuff tbh, I love(d) The Ramones & Johnny Thunders but I don't recall ever buying any of TTH records, I think at the time I thought of them as 'arty-farty' but I was just a young punk (& have since forgiven myself). So what are the recommendations, please?

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:59 pm

I've listened to them since I was 5 or 6, influence from my dad. I have almost all of their albums, but they're all on vinyl, apart from "Naked" which I have on cd.
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:46 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Grim O'Grady+Sep 28 2005, 04:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Grim O'Grady @ Sep 28 2005, 04:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I've never really listened to any of The Talking Heads stuff tbh, I love(d) The Ramones & Johnny Thunders but I don't recall ever buying any of TTH records, I think at the time I thought of them as 'arty-farty' but I was just a young punk (& have since forgiven myself). So what are the recommendations, please?

love

Grim <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, they were definitely arty-farty, a compliment to their style!

My picks: Try 'Life During Wartime', 'Cross-eyed and Painless' (great percussion throughout) and 'Pulled Up', one of my favorites, to get a feel for their stuff. Another favorite of mine is 'The Book I Read', not one of their many overplayed hits, so it's still fresh to hear. I could put them on gmail if you wish, Grim.

Arcade Fire's lead singer's voice is a haunting dead-ringer for David Byrne's.
Last edited by Still Ill on Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:13 am

thanks SI, I'm listening to TTH's right now!

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:17 pm

i've tons of TH on vinyl and on disc. they're in my top ten fav bands.

i also am a fan of david byrne's solo work, particularly "feelings" and "look into the eyeball"

"feelings" has 'wicked little doll' which is a track i adore, but not as much as 'dance on vaseline'....a great track, great lyrics, great rhythm. oY!! now i must listen to it at a dangerous volume!!!
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:06 pm

Chicken, you mentioned once that Chris Franz (that's right isn't it? No, it's not, I have forgotten the drummer's name now <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo--> Wait was it Gerry Harrison?) produced "orgasmic drumming" didn't you? I see what you mean! (Although take note I didn't ACTUALLY have an orgasm off of it <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo--> )
Last edited by Miserable Liar on Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:34 am

Oh, how I love this band, I am listening to them very much now, because they make me happy, and november makes me cry a lot... so I really need their music.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:43 am

<!--QuoteBegin-miserableliar+Oct 7 2005, 05:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (miserableliar @ Oct 7 2005, 05:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Chicken, you mentioned once that Chris Franz (that's right isn't it? No, it's not, I have forgotten the drummer's name now <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo--> Wait was it Gerry Harrison?) produced "orgasmic drumming" didn't you? I see what you mean! (Although take note I didn't ACTUALLY have an orgasm off of it <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo--> ) <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
well, now if drumming could be orgasmic, i would be a percussionist on the street corner and watch people walk funny!!
<!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo-->

no i believe i described the drumming as mathematical. precise. exacting.

gosh, now i must go listen to more songs about buildings and food!! thanks for the detour.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Liger » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:58 am

I love both the albums 77 and more songs about buildings and food- they are very dancy sounding- i still need to buy 77 but i am broke <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo-->
I think both these albums are 70s albums?
Liger
Regular

Postby elko » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:48 pm

Yeah. :77 is one of my alltime favourites. Have been listening to Speaking In Tongues recently though, and watching Stop Making Sense- aboslutely brilliant.
elko
Site Admin

Next

Return to Music Chat