Perfect songs........

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Miserable Liar » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:14 pm

I think, if we all pick some songs we think are absolutely perfect, then we could make a folder on the gmail where we put can upload them.

Sex Pistols - My Way

Well, it's a cover version of Frank Sinatra's acclaimed classic, given extra force and an extra leg to kick you in the balls with.
The amusing opening then leads into a punk track which displays how much of a bad singer Sid Vicious was but also shows that he was a funny person, a good person. The entertaining song then closes into a soulfull shout at the climax, but leaves a funny end where Sid radomly says "The record shows, i've got no clothes, I did it my way!".
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby Mr-Shankly » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:57 pm

I've made a label for it on Gmail.
Names, secret names. But never in my favour.
Mr-Shankly
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:00 pm

<!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--> Thank you!
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:12 pm

Love Will Tear us Apart by Joy Division.

Perfection. Pure and simple.
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/edcallow/" target="_blank">.</a>
The Boy with a thorn in his side
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:19 pm

'She's Leaving Home', I think.
elko
Site Admin

Postby this_charming_girl » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:38 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-The Boy with a thorn in his side+Oct 3 2005, 07:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Boy with a thorn in his side @ Oct 3 2005, 07:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Love Will Tear us Apart by Joy Division.

Perfection. Pure and simple. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Seconded, does it get much better than that?!
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:44 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-this_charming_girl+Oct 3 2005, 07:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (this_charming_girl @ Oct 3 2005, 07:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-The Boy with a thorn in his side+Oct 3 2005, 07:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Boy with a thorn in his side @ Oct 3 2005, 07:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Love Will Tear us Apart by Joy Division.

Perfection. Pure and simple. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Seconded, does it get much better than that?! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yes, it really does.
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:57 pm

Oasis - Stand by me

Another 'Stand by me' classic, there are now 2 (3 if you count John Lennon's version which is also great <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->) ! I like this song so much, I can't quite point it out why though, it's perfect though, I said so!
Last edited by Miserable Liar on Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:10 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Oct 3 2005, 07:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Oct 3 2005, 07:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> 'She's Leaving Home', I think. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
*Nods.*

For me, it is 'reel around the fountain'

I used to make me cry. it is so fucking heartfelt, it hurts to listen to.
Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby this_charming_girl » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:43 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-miserableliar+Oct 3 2005, 08:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (miserableliar @ Oct 3 2005, 08:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-this_charming_girl+Oct 3 2005, 07:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (this_charming_girl @ Oct 3 2005, 07:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-The Boy with a thorn in his side+Oct 3 2005, 07:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Boy with a thorn in his side @ Oct 3 2005, 07:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Love Will Tear us Apart by Joy Division.

Perfection. Pure and simple. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Seconded, does it get much better than that?! <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yes, it really does. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
rude!!!!!!

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:44 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-this_charming_girl+Oct 4 2005, 07:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (this_charming_girl @ Oct 4 2005, 07:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-miserableliar+Oct 3 2005, 08:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (miserableliar @ Oct 3 2005, 08:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-this_charming_girl+Oct 3 2005, 07:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (this_charming_girl @ Oct 3 2005, 07:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-The Boy with a thorn in his side+Oct 3 2005, 07:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Boy with a thorn in his side @ Oct 3 2005, 07:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Love Will Tear us Apart by Joy Division.

Seconded, does it get much better than that?! <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yes, it really does. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
rude!!!!!! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Hey, I do like the song, it's just, there ARE better, plus, there wasn't much reason to why it is so perfect.
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby this_charming_girl » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:51 pm

but it doesnt need an explanation! it is just perfect, there is no other way to say it, nothing about it is over the top or unnecessary and its just beautiful and wonderful and..perfect! (and u chose oasis anyway so joy division is the clear winner there!)

this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:48 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Oct 3 2005, 07:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Oct 3 2005, 07:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> 'She's Leaving Home', I think. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
those fellas aren't even fair to bring into this elkster-a-rooni. they didn't write their music, they channeled it.

and now for something completely different:
"rabbit dreams" by sin ropas.
reasons:
-layered acoustic brilliance
-variations on a theme that are nearly subconscious
-a lulling vocal style, not garish, not slimey, but one that is subdued enough to keep you guessing, and therefore totally attuned to what is being sung
-a musicianship that masters many instruments (by only two people, mind you) and capitalizes on the human ability to detect signals among noise.

btw: "perfect" is a commonly prostituted and misunderstood word. the original greek meaning is FAR different than how it is used today. the word was meant to imply how a thing, at any given point in time, is the best that it can be. it was not meant to imply some ideal Form in the platonic sense. (as if the queen never snickered at flatulence bellowing from her own fanny!!)
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:04 pm

I take perfect, in a musical sense, as being something quite pure and unmutilated. Like The La's, The Beatles, NMH, things that don't seem to have been written to exist as songs (like what you're saying about 'channeling').

(BTW there's a subtle difference between the American and British meaning for 'fanny', I don't know if you're aware of this. And while we're at it we'll have a capital on our Queen, please!)
elko
Site Admin

Postby chicken » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:12 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Oct 4 2005, 11:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Oct 4 2005, 11:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I take perfect, in a musical sense, as being something quite pure and unmutilated. Like The La's, The Beatles, NMH, things that don't seem to have been written to exist as songs (like what you're saying about 'channeling').

(BTW there's a subtle difference between the American and British meaning for 'fanny', I don't know if you're aware of this. And while we're at it we'll have a capital on our Queen, please!) <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
HA!!

quite frankly, if i were to select "perfect" music, i would go for vivaldi straight away....since this is a western forum.

fanny....funny how a simple ocean can delineate the meaning of a word, yes? i've come to realize through this forum that there are subtle differences between MANY words used by both brits and yanks. generally speaking, i've forgone asking for explanation as this is a predominate brit forum.

pure and unmutilated = vivaldi.
if this were not a western forum, i'd go for "ye jo halka halka" by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (which was actually my very first intuition on this subject, but i didn't feel like going through all my reasons to justify it). perfection is culturally relative.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to Music Chat