Gigs

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Fabienne » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:43 am

Which bands have you already seen?

And which gigs are there, that you are planning to visit?
Fabienne
Regular

Postby mazzy » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:09 pm

I used to go to heaps of gigs. I've seen, sooo many but here are a few The cure, Blur, Pulp, Radiohead, Manics, Gene, James, Belle and Sebastian, Gorky's Zygotic Mynchi, Divine Comedy, Dandy Warholes, Coral - it may be easier to name an alternative band who have played in the last few years and I could say yes I've seen them.

Sad fan girl.... <!--emo&:rolleyes:-->Image<!--endemo-->
I wanna die on a sunny day
mazzy
Regular

Postby girl_afraid » Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:55 pm

You've seen Belle and Sebastian? Wow, I'd love to see them live! They never seem to do much touring though <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo-->

My list is completely pathetic - exluding support people, I've seen Placebo, Ludovico Einuadi (piano guy, very good. We met him afterwards and he signed my programme, that was cool!), Morrissey, and lots of tribute bands, although I'm not sure they count. Meehee, pitiful! Oh well, in the next few months I'm seeing The Ordinary Boys, Ed Harcourt, Jackson Browne, Rufus Wainwright and Moz again, so that kinda makes up for my poor earlier performance <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Last edited by girl_afraid on Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:06 pm

Oh G-d, wow, I can't remember all of the bands I have seen! I go to festival-style concerts often, but some of the highlights include Bad Religion, Beastie Boys, Flogging Molly, Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Killers, Me First and the Gimme Gimees, James Brown, Anti-Flag....heck, name a group, I have probably seen them...yay living by San Francisco! So much music...so little money <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:07 pm

You've seen the Killers?? Dude, I absolutely love them! But yeah, they're American, so they'll probably hardly ever tour in England <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo--> My friend saw them at V2004, so I'm veeeery jealous!

You're lucky that you live in a place that lots of decent bands come to, hardly anyone good ever plays anywhere near me (this autumn being the exception!). Stupid sucky Southampton *sulk* Although I didn't see any of the bands I've seen so far in either Southampton or Portsmouth... That's a bit weird.
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I dunno...
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby robhenson16@hotmail.com » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:55 pm

I've been lucky enough to see Bowie, U2, Morrissey, Sting, Suede, Finley Quaye, Amy Winehouse. Off to see Moz again in Dec, and also Manics and Erasure. Cant wait for Erasure, gona camp it up to the max.
<a href='http://www.south-paw.tk' target='_blank'>www.south-paw.tk</a>
\[EMAIL=robhenson16@hotmail.com\]robhenson16@hotmail.com\[/EMAIL\]
depressed, but remarkably dressed
robhenson16@hotmail.com
Regular

Postby Still Ill » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:19 am

Finally saw the Trashcan Sinatras last night. They exceeded all my expectations (Since it was my first time seeing them. They last toured here in the States in '93 I think). They played an acoustic set earlier in the day at an indie-owned record shop. Got pictures taken with them and some cd's signed by all! Talked to both quitarists- Paul Livingston said Johnny Marr is an idol of his as well. (I'd already known that!) To be that accessible to a favorite band was incredible. For me it was as close to a Smiths-concert-encounter-never-to-be experience. I want to put in a plug for these unsung heroes. They're critically acclaimed, publicly ignored (to quote elko!) unless you have a cult following, which these guys thankfully have. Check these guys out, they just released their long-awaited (7 years!) record 'Weightlifting' and 'I've Seen Everything' is another CD worth checking out. If you're on this forum, I think you'll like their stuff. <a href='http://trashcansinatras.com/' target='_blank'>http://trashcansinatras.com/</a>
There, I'm done plugging!
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:41 pm

Ooh, I've heard one of their songs, a cover of I Know It's Over, which they actually did very well, considering. It is an incredibly tricky song to cover well, the original being so damn good.

Any specific songs to search out?

I dunno...
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:05 pm

Pretty hard to do a cover of such an emotionally connected song to the Smiths like I Know It's Over. Their version was a grower for me. But check out their website, and under downloads, there's an e-card that has the best (they're all good) from their new record (uk release: Oct 18). Some of their past well-known songs are Obscurity Knocks, Only Tongue Can Tell, Safecracker, Easy Read, I'm Immortal. A Coda from their new one is a slow, but hauntingly beautiful song, as is Weightlifting (my favorite at the moment). It is hypnotic and melodic. (Paul's guitar work is Marr-like which attracted me to their music). I'm done plugging, once more!
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:36 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Still Ill+Oct 13 2004, 10:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Still Ill @ Oct 13 2004, 10:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Pretty hard to do a cover of such an emotionally connected song to the Smiths like I Know It's Over. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Exactly, that's why I really hoped that whoever covered it on The Smiths Is Dead (hideous, horrible album in nearly all respects) would do it justice, and if you compare to the rest of the album, their version is really rather good... *shudder's at memory of Bis's 'The Boy With The Thorn In His Side'*

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations, I'll try and have a look later <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->

I dunno...
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:34 pm

I actually downloaded Only Tongue Can Tell today by accident! It was labelled as a Morrissey song, and then when I listened to it, I was like "eh?!", so I Googled the lyrics, and it turned out to be Trashcan Sinatras! I really really like it actually, and will definitely check out more of their stuff <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->

I dunno...
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:30 am

WOW! I just saw the Misfits...well, the Misfit really...being that there was only 1 original band member, he was playing the electric guitar and doing vocals (I can't exactly call it singing), but MARKY RAMONE was drumming! w00t! It was a blast! And there were only about 100 people there (even though it felt liked a good 300...especially from my height <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->)! It was kind of gross though, because at the end, the very large singer too off his dripping shirt and hucked it into the crowd...on the bus back, I was sitting by the guy who caught it, and he was honestly wringing it out! SO disgusting! It was very sad to see Marky though, because when he was walking after the show, it was remarkably slow and old man-ish... but still! It was the Misfits~ sort of...! <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo--> Well... just thought I'd share!
OOH! And 2 weeks prior to that, I saw the Vandals! With about 200 people there! HORRAY FOR SMALL VENUES!!!
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:30 pm

Hell yeah, gotta agree with you there! I saw Ed Harcourt last night, and it was absolutely amazing! It was a teeny venue (only like 400 people max.), and me and my friends were RIGHT at the front. And at the start of one song, he came and sat at the Wurlitzer, and my friend Tim was like "Wurly, wurly, wurly!" and Ed looked at us, and said "Thanks", and he just kept looking at us, so I was like "Hi!", and then he said hi back. And theeeen (cos he's a Smiths fan), I was like "It's Johnny Marr's birthday today!!", and he was like "Oh really? Everyone, it's Johnny Marr's birthday!" and the crowd were like "Woooh..." and Ed said "Come on, the man deserves more than that, he's a fucking god!" and everyone went "WOOOOOOOH!". So I was pleased <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--> He talked to me!!

I dunno...
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Return to Music Chat