[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Strangeways • View topic - Bright Eyes

Bright Eyes

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby scavenger » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:51 pm

So, do we love 'em or hate 'em?

Personally, I love Bright Eyes. Such soleful lyrics and there's nothing better than a fellow activist <!--emo&B)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Oh, but don't mention love
I'd hate the pain of the strain all over again
A rush and a push and the land that
We stand on is ours
It has been before
So why can't it be now?
And people who are weaker than you or I
They take what they want from life
scavenger
Supreme

Postby elko » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:57 pm

I think the John Peel Tent farce at Glasto was too close to the bone, whatever the fuck it was supposed to be.

And his songs are absolutely terrible.

Each to their own, I guess.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Perfect Drug » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:32 pm

Never listened. Don't plan to, either.
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>At all events when, after many hours, the door was opened and people thronged in, they found the murderer unconscious and in a raging fever. The prince was sitting by him, motionless, and each time that the sick man gave a laugh, or a shout, he hastened to pass his own trembling hand over his companion's hair and cheeks, as though trying to soothe and quiet him. But alas he understood nothing of what was said to him, and recognized none of those who surrounded him.</span>
Perfect Drug
Supreme

Postby this_charming_girl » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:16 pm

i adore Bright Eyes personally! i cant really see wghat there is to dislike about it, the music is pretty, his voice is gorgeous, the lyrics are cute, its all so twee and wonderful! im wide awake its morning and digital ash in a digital urn are awesome albums! (and they arent exactly horrible to look at either lets face it, part of their appeal is conor's beauty, this is a fact.)
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:17 pm

thumbs up from me <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo--> <!--emo&:guitar:-->Image<!--endemo-->
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/edcallow/" target="_blank">.</a>
The Boy with a thorn in his side
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:19 am

<!--QuoteBegin-this_charming_girl+Oct 15 2005, 05:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (this_charming_girl @ Oct 15 2005, 05:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->i adore Bright Eyes personally! i cant really see wghat there is to dislike about it, the music is pretty, his voice is gorgeous, the lyrics are cute, its all so twee and wonderful! im wide awake its morning and digital ash in a digital urn are awesome albums! (and they arent exactly horrible to look at either lets face it, part of their appeal is conor's beauty, this is a fact.)<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
There is quite a lot to dislike, if you know where to look.

For a start his singing voice is absolutely digusting. Makes me feel ill. He's really really crying all the time! This makes it real and emotional, you know that? This is the best and most efficient way to express how one is feeling. It's like the inverse Laughing Gnome or something.

Lyrically he is not good. He is not the new Dylan, or even the new Springsteen (as if we needed one of those). He is not the new anyone, just another conceited emo-being, although I guess that pretentious meanderings suddenly become meaningful if you have an acoustic guitar and Emmylou Harris.

Musically it's not worth even mentioning. The melodies head nowhere, the musical themes are as tired as the lyrics, the influences are debts rather than springboards. I think the idea is that personal expression is more important than trivialities such as well-written songs and things like that, which is an idea I agree with, but when there's no craft, no impact, there's just no point- in short, he has nothing worth expressing. And for god's sake, Road To Joy?!

He's an indie poseur of the worst kind (the kind with no talent)- and I wish I had the words to express and explain this better.

But yeah he's fit lol
elko
Site Admin

Postby scavenger » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:32 am

Im sorry you feel that way Elko, but its a good thing everyone has different likes and dislikes. Although, I really don't see how you can say there is no point. There are very few musicians in America who write anything political...which is a terrible shame. Thats really the reason why i started listening to Bright Eyes...the fact that Im so outraged at my government and he expresses the same anger in a very relatable way. Havent you ever heard "When The President Talks To God"? I guess, if youre not American, you cant really understand what its like to have someone in office who didnt even win the popular vote in 2000 or 2004. But didnt Blair mess around with voter fraud as well?

And just as a side note, Conor loves Morrissey...just so you all know that <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
We stand on is ours
It has been before
So why can't it be now?
scavenger
Supreme

Postby scavenger » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:34 am

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Oct 14 2005, 05:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Oct 14 2005, 05:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I think the John Peel Tent farce at Glasto was too close to the bone, whatever the fuck it was supposed to be.

And his songs are absolutely terrible.

Each to their own, I guess. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
I forgot to ask...what happened at this John Peel Tent thing?
We stand on is ours
It has been before
So why can't it be now?
scavenger
Supreme

Postby Still Ill » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:38 am

Scavenger, I too asked elko about this, and it wasn't long after that I read about it on the net. He basically insulted John Peel and the Glasto organizers.

I've never really listened to anything by them. Interesting there's such a big swing of opinion, that alone makes me a little curious. But alas, Conor does nothing for me.

On a political note, I tend to roll my eyes on political songs. I mostly just want to listen to music for pleasure or social commentary and not for any political agenda, not that I don't think it's unwarranted. But groups like U2 and to some degree Green Day spoiled that for me. My 2 cents, which isn't worth much!
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:44 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Still Ill+Oct 16 2005, 07:38 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Still Ill @ Oct 16 2005, 07:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> My 2 cents, which isn't worth much! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Isn't that the point? Everyone's two cents are worth...just that. And I agree that political songs are generally just horrid, unless there's some sort of angle to it.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->But didnt Blair mess around with voter fraud as well?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No. No, he didn't.

And it's all my opinion of course, but one that I am sure of.
elko
Site Admin

Postby scavenger » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:37 pm

Hm, that's odd. Most of the people I know and several media outlets have reported that Blair did in fact steal the election. But that's beside the point.

Conor did apologize for the comments he made and did say he was out of line. Everyone says stupid things every now and then, but he does regret it.

Also, many times I hate bands the first time I hear them but a few months...even years later, I fall totally in love with the group. I just think, if music is important enough to someone, they should revisit music they once hated because they may find they like it now. It's an interesting way to see how we grow over time as people. <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
We stand on is ours
It has been before
So why can't it be now?
scavenger
Supreme

Postby Still Ill » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:26 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-scavenger+Oct 16 2005, 10:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (scavenger @ Oct 16 2005, 10:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Also, many times I hate bands the first time I hear them but a few months...even years later, I fall totally in love with the group.  I just think, if music is important enough to someone, they should revisit music they once hated because they may find they like it now.  It's an interesting way to see how we grow over time as people.  <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo--><!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You're right, I have found an appreciation for bands I once didn't care for. Sometimes it does take a long time to hear music in a new light. My penny's worth. (Sometimes I think it's worth less than the usual 2 cents, hah. <!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo-->)
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Return to Music Chat