the Libertines

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Gwendolen » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:37 am

any fans here? i just discovered them this past summer and totally fell in love, they're now my favorite band, can't get enough of them really. and Shambles and Dirty Pretty Things as well, but the Libs...they were something special. Music When the Lights go Out, such an amazing song. and all the b sides and unreleased stuff is great too. "Skint and Minted" and "Love on the Dole" specially.
My Dirty Pretty Things Forum:
<a href='http://www.dirty-pretty-things.com/talk/index.php' target='_blank'>You Fucking Love It Forums</a>?

My Dirty Pretty Things Fansite (with Downloads, Photos, and More!)
<a href='http://www.dirty-pretty-things.com' target='_blank'>Dirty-Pretty-Things.com</a>
Gwendolen

Postby elko » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:09 pm

I love some songs (Time For Heroes, Can't Stand Me Now, Up The Bracket, What A Waster), but most of it I find quite painful to listen to. The lyrics, mainly.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Gwendolen » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:32 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Dec 23 2005, 02:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Dec 23 2005, 02:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I love some songs (Time For Heroes, Can't Stand Me Now, Up The Bracket, What A Waster), but most of it I find quite painful to listen to. The lyrics, mainly. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
what about the lyrics don't you like? i love the lyrics-to me they're really passionate, and real, and visceral and just... beautiful in a way.
<a href='http://www.dirty-pretty-things.com/talk/index.php' target='_blank'>You Fucking Love It Forums</a>?

<a href='http://www.dirty-pretty-things.com' target='_blank'>Dirty-Pretty-Things.com</a>
Gwendolen

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:46 pm

Aww, theyre great.

Is it cruel and unkind not to speak my mind,
and to lie to you, rather than hurt you?
I'll confess all my sins after several large gins
but still i hide from you
hide whats inside from you.
and alarm bells ring when you say your heart still sings when you're with me
won't you please forgive me?
I no longer hear the music
Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby rEEdy^^ » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:06 pm

the libertines are cool, but i must admit that i prefer 'babyshambles'

don't know why, just like the sound that tiny little better
rEEdy^^
Supreme

Postby elko » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:02 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Gwendolen+Dec 23 2005, 02:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Gwendolen @ Dec 23 2005, 02:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-elko+Dec 23 2005, 02:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Dec 23 2005, 02:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I love some songs (Time For Heroes, Can't Stand Me Now, Up The Bracket, What A Waster), but most of it I find quite painful to listen to. The lyrics, mainly. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
what about the lyrics don't you like? i love the lyrics-to me they're really passionate, and real, and visceral and just... beautiful in a way. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
It's such a fine line between clever and stupid. I just dislike pretention when it has no reward.
elko
Site Admin

Postby horrorshow » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:44 am

best band of the noughties

mwtlgo lyrics arent that special though

these on the other hand...

What a waster
What a fucking waster.
You’ve pissed it all up the wall
And round the corner where they chased her
There’s tears coming out from every wall
The city’s hard
The city’s fair.

Get back inside
You’ve got nothing on
No, mind yer bleedin own
You two bob cunt

When she wakes up in the morning
She writes down all her dreams
Reads like the book of revelations
Or the Beano or the unabridged Ulysses
Oh I really wanna know
So tell me
Where does all the money go
Where does all the money go

Straight, straight up her nose

And I never really liked it anyway
I much preferred it the other way
Yeah.

What a divvy.
What a fucking div
Talking like a moron
Walking like a spiv

I was laying in bed
Paying my rent
He was knocking on the door
For something that she lent her brother

Meanwhile…
From the under the covers
She said “save me from tomorrow no
Save me from tomorrowâ€
horrorshow

Postby elko » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:54 am

I agree those are great lyrics (that and Time For Heroes are my favourites). I just think that when it doesn't work, it doesn't work pretty badly!

I don't know about the best, but I think they've been the most important British band of this decade. However, if this means tons of bands like the Arctic Monkeys, the Paddingtons, etc, then it's rather a shame.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Truman Capote » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:04 am

Sorry, but I'll have to say that I prefer The Strokes.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Gwendolen » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:55 am

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Dec 24 2005, 12:02 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Dec 24 2005, 12:02 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Gwendolen+Dec 23 2005, 02:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Gwendolen @ Dec 23 2005, 02:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-elko+Dec 23 2005, 02:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Dec 23 2005, 02:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I love some songs (Time For Heroes, Can't Stand Me Now, Up The Bracket, What A Waster), but most of it I find quite painful to listen to. The lyrics, mainly. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
what about the lyrics don't you like? i love the lyrics-to me they're really passionate, and real, and visceral and just... beautiful in a way. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
It's such a fine line between clever and stupid. I just dislike pretention when it has no reward. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Alabaster Crashes Down-i love that song <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->

i've never seentheir lyrics as pretentious. they just don't strike me that way..i feel like i can relate to almost everything they say. i love how they mix beauty and poetic lyrics, with lyrics about being fucked up, being addicted to drugs...i feel like they're miles ahead of most bands out there right now lyrically.

they inspired me to pick up my guitar again after not touching it for months. i love the Shambles too, but the libs had an element of optimism and hope that i feel is missing from the Shambles-don't get me wrong, i love them to death, but my favorite will always be the Libs.

speaking of the arctic monkeys-i saw them live in november and they were great, but gosh they look so young in person-they looked about 15.

Gwendolen

Postby Miserable Liar » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:42 am

They ain't bad at all, but 'Can't Stand Me Now' is awful!
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby Sally Simpson » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:33 pm

I love them, there are just a few songs I don´t like. But I prefer their old stuff, especially the demos and the sessions
And it don´t mean I don´t love you,when I put a gun to your face
Sally Simpson
Advanced

Postby madmancmonkey » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:40 pm

The libertines ARE SOOOOOOOOOOO great. Trust me to buy the 'The Libertines' version without 'What a waster'. <!--emo&:rolleyes:-->Image<!--endemo-->
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:05 pm

'Don't Look Back Into The Sun'

That's all I have to say, that song man.......
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby Sally Simpson » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:24 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-miserableliar+Jan 6 2006, 03:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (miserableliar @ Jan 6 2006, 03:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> 'Don't Look Back Into The Sun'

That's all I have to say, that song man....... <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
I love that song so much. It makes me wanna turn the music up and dance
And it don´t mean I don´t love you,when I put a gun to your face
Sally Simpson
Advanced

Next

Return to Music Chat