Radiohead

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby chicken » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:00 am

i went through all the 'music chat' topics and didn't find any threads devoted to this slice of heaven. having been here awhile, seen topics come and go, comments made and validated, i know i'm not the only one who sits down at my desk and says: "ok computer."

<!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
<!--emo&:huh:-->Image<!--endemo-->
<!--emo&:unsure:-->Image<!--endemo-->
a bit of help here? one day, i'm gonna grow wings, a chemical reaction...
omg, 'karma police' just came on, i gotta go...
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:36 pm

OK Computer is one of the best albums ever made. I think it was described somewhere as the definitive CD album. Seems about right to me.
Last edited by elko on Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Mozzerella » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:07 pm

I LOVE Radiohead! OK Computer is brilliant, though I like all their albums.

One day I'm gonna grow wings, a chemical reaction, hysterical and useless... <!--emo&:guitar:-->Image<!--endemo-->
<a href='http://www.last.fm/user/Mozaic/?chartstyle=MeatisMurder' target='_blank'>Image</a>
Mozzerella
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:32 pm

hooray, a radiohead thread! theyve been growing on me for quite some time, and then yesterday i woke up with "no surprises" stuck in my head and a craving to listen to them, so i listened to them all morning ("the bends" and "ok computer"... and "creep" of course). great band. i'm a friend of a friend of tom yorke too. oh and he went to exeter too (it would be cool if he was in duryard, but i dont think he was).
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby convergence » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:04 pm

i got into the smiths through a radiohead forum. they are still my favorite band, but the smiths are a close second.
convergence
Advanced

Postby Bref » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:09 pm

Without doubt the best band of the past ten years. Ok Computer is the best album ever and the bends is in my top 5. Brialliant lyrics and vocals from thom and Jonny is the most exciting guitarist around( my 2nd favourite guitarist ever johnny marr is #1). I have seen them live three times and every time I went away saying it was the best gig ever. A class act
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Book Antiqua--><span style="font-family:Book Antiqua"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial Narrow--><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->Half of the time we're gone but we don't know where,
we don't know where.
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Bref
Smiths Nut!

Postby convergence » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:11 pm

I actually think Kid A is their best album. Ok Computer is the easy choice, and it was mine for a very long time. But after listening to each album hundreds of times, kid a started to pull away. My top three albums ever are:

1. kid a
2. the queen is dead
3. ok computer

so yeah, i love those 'depressing' brits <!--emo&:shutup:-->Image<!--endemo-->
convergence
Advanced

Postby Mozzerella » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:09 pm

Glad you like Rh Helen, No Surprises is beautiful. And you're a friend of a friend of Thom!!!! Have you ever met him?

Actually I think my fave album atm is Amnesiac, though I first didn't like it that much.
<a href='http://www.last.fm/user/Mozaic/?chartstyle=MeatisMurder' target='_blank'>Image</a>
Mozzerella
Smiths Nut!

Postby Mozzerella » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:11 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-convergence+Feb 17 2006, 07:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (convergence @ Feb 17 2006, 07:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> i got into the smiths through a radiohead forum. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Mortigi Tempo?
Mozzerella
Smiths Nut!

Postby convergence » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:26 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Mozzerella+Feb 17 2006, 06:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mozzerella @ Feb 17 2006, 06:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-convergence+Feb 17 2006, 07:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (convergence @ Feb 17 2006, 07:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> i got into the smiths through a radiohead forum. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Mortigi Tempo?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--> the one and only
convergence
Advanced

Postby Mozzerella » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:55 pm

Ohh, I haven't posted anything there in ages!! I put a link to this forum there in the autumn, though..
Mozzerella
Smiths Nut!

Postby convergence » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:13 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Mozzerella+Feb 17 2006, 08:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mozzerella @ Feb 17 2006, 08:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Ohh, I haven't posted anything there in ages!! I put a link to this forum there in the autumn, though.. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--emo&:o-->Image<!--endemo--> are you...lady tron?
convergence
Advanced

Postby Rodchenko » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:04 pm

Am I the only one who find Radiohead to be hugely overrated? I mean, what are they about?A few songs I can enjoy (How to disappear..., Street Spirit, Fake plastic trees), but mostly it's actually quite boring.
It sounds as if they're far more interested in sounding strange and unique rather than listenable.
I was reading Q magazine (I think) a while ago and they were listing the best albums ever or something like that and I was horrified to find Radiohead occupying both the number 2 spot and the number one spot!

I mean, come the fuck on! The Queen is dead, Unknown Pleasures, Disintegration, Franz's both albums and Vauxhall and I are all faaaaaaar better than The bends or OK computer. I am, the not so proud, owner of a copy of The bends and it truely stands as one of the most boring records in my entire collection.

What are they about? What the fuck is their purpose?
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Are You Loathsome Tonight?
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Rodchenko
Smiths Nut!

Postby thischarmingman » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:35 pm

though I might not have put it quite so strongly I'd have to agree, I've never really got radiohead. It does nothing for me and says nothing to me about my life. I also find the band members incredibly difficult to get excited about. What's to like about a bunch of slightly wet public school boys from oxford without much discernable charisma?

However, this is only my opinion, and many people whose judgement I respect (on this site for starters) love radiohead. Just one of those things..
Last edited by thischarmingman on Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here is London, giddy London
Is it home of the free, or what?
thischarmingman
Advanced

Postby convergence » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:57 pm

lyrically speaking, radiohead aren't that good. in fact, after listening to morrissey and the smiths a lot, they are laughable lyrically sometimes. but musically, for the most part, they blow the smiths out of the water. they aren't just strange to be strange, i think that's an incredibly weak argument. and musically speaking, they've been more creative and took more risks than the smiths ever did.
convergence
Advanced

Next

Return to Music Chat