Radiohead

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Mozzerella » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:14 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-convergence+Feb 18 2006, 06:13 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (convergence @ Feb 18 2006, 06:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Mozzerella+Feb 17 2006, 08:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mozzerella @ Feb 17 2006, 08:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Ohh, I haven't posted anything there in ages!! I put a link to this forum there in the autumn, though.. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--emo&:o-->Image<!--endemo--> are you...lady tron? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah. Why do you seem so surprised? <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
Last edited by Mozzerella on Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href='http://www.last.fm/user/Mozaic/?chartstyle=MeatisMurder' target='_blank'>Image</a>
Mozzerella
Smiths Nut!

Postby Mozzerella » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:25 pm

I, personally, like experimental and unique music which some other people might refer to as pretentious.
<a href='http://www.last.fm/user/Mozaic/?chartstyle=MeatisMurder' target='_blank'>Image</a>
Mozzerella
Smiths Nut!

Postby convergence » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:25 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Mozzerella+Feb 18 2006, 05:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mozzerella @ Feb 18 2006, 05:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-convergence+Feb 18 2006, 06:13 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (convergence @ Feb 18 2006, 06:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Mozzerella+Feb 17 2006, 08:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mozzerella @ Feb 17 2006, 08:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Ohh, I haven't posted anything there in ages!! I put a link to this forum there in the autumn, though.. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--emo&:o-->Image<!--endemo--> are you...lady tron? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah. Why do you seem so surprised? <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
donno, i just think that's kinda cool because i found this board through that link <!--emo&^_^-->Image<!--endemo-->
convergence
Advanced

Postby Mozzerella » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:34 pm

That IS cool! I don't think that many people actually read that thread..
Mozzerella
Smiths Nut!

Postby convergence » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:35 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Mozzerella+Feb 18 2006, 05:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mozzerella @ Feb 18 2006, 05:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> That IS cool! I don't think that many people actually read that thread.. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
a few nights ago i was just looking through all the smiths threads and found that one. i had always wondered about smiths message boards, so it was pretty helpful. you should come by more often
convergence
Advanced

Postby Mozzerella » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:55 pm

I'm glad somebody found the link useful. I visited MT last night but my god how chaotic it all seemed after a while. <!--emo&:blink:-->Image<!--endemo-->
Mozzerella
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:23 pm

I have Ok Computer and The Bends. Why don't I ever listen to them?
I really need to give them more of a chance.

*think I'll change my current playlist!*
<!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->

How fun discovering members of other forums like you two did!
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:08 pm

Rod, your post is pretty incisive, and I get where you're coming from, but in my opinion OK Computer is geniunely one of the most important and ambitious albums of my lifetime. Musicially it's incredible, lyrically it's bizarre, and the production is just incredible. Making a song like 'Paranoid Android' sound that cohesive is not easy.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What's to like about a bunch of slightly wet public school boys from oxford without much discernable charisma?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This applies to a lot of bands really. And again, I almost agree, but I don't think they've ever claimed to be anything else, and you can't really say that any band with degrees should stop making music....
elko
Site Admin

Postby thischarmingman » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:31 pm

I wasnt referring to oxford university, I dont think they went there, but they did go to Abingdon, a public school in oxford. I would agree that they have never attested to being anything other than public school boys and I have nothing at all against public school or university educated rockers. the list of public school popstars is surprisingly large, including Pink Floyd, Bush, Dido, James Blunt, Genesis, Joe Strummer, Iron Maiden, Sophie Ellis Bextor, Coldplay, Keane etc... I was more just referring to the fact that there's not a lot interesting about their home counties public school upbringing and its difficult to really be excited by them. the list of public school pop stars is massive anyway and its just difficult for people to really get behind them the way people did with say, Oasis, whose upbringing has a lot more rock and roll crediblity, or someone like Morrissey who is just such a fascinating character. I guess I just like my rock heroes to be working class or at least to have led interesting lives. I got this from an article in the guardian-
'The only rock star who has ever been forgiven for going to public school is the Pogues' Shane MacGowan and only then because the thought of this snaggle-toothed Irish drunk attending Westminster seems so preposterously unlikely it counts as cool.' It is a funny thought imaging the guy there, though he did driop out after a couple of years. (BTW, that is also the school I went to which is possibly why I've always thought that public schoolboys have little cool credibility... personal experience, myself included!)
Here is London, giddy London
Is it home of the free, or what?
thischarmingman
Advanced

Postby convergence » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:32 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-thischarmingman+Feb 18 2006, 07:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (thischarmingman @ Feb 18 2006, 07:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I wasnt referring to oxford university, I dont think they went there, but they did go to Abingdon, a public school in oxford. I would agree that they have never attested to being anything other than public school boys and I have nothing at all against public school or university educated rockers. the list of public school popstars is surprisingly large, including Pink Floyd, Bush, Dido, James Blunt, Genesis, Joe Strummer, Iron Maiden, Sophie Ellis Bextor, Coldplay, Keane etc... I was more just referring to the fact that there's not a lot interesting about their home counties public school upbringing and its difficult to really be excited by them. the list of public school pop stars is massive anyway and its just difficult for people to really get behind them the way people did with say, Oasis, whose upbringing has a lot more rock and roll crediblity, or someone like Morrissey who is just such a fascinating character. I guess I just like my rock heroes to be working class or at least to have led interesting lives. I got this from an article in the guardian-
'The only rock star who has ever been forgiven for going to public school is the Pogues' Shane MacGowan and only then because the thought of this snaggle-toothed Irish drunk attending Westminster seems so preposterously unlikely it counts as cool.' It is a funny thought imaging the guy there, though he did driop out after a couple of years. (BTW, that is also the school I went to which is possibly why I've always thought that public schoolboys have little cool credibility... personal experience, myself included!) <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
i think the big thing is....

who the fuck cares? honestly. let the music speak for itself
convergence
Advanced

Postby helmoz » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:36 pm

it doesnt matter much what school you went to, cos you may not fit into the public school stereotype/attitude. joe strummer went to public school but people still consider him punk and a speaker for the people.
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby thischarmingman » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:09 am

was something posted here, pretty obnoxious, ignore me, had to delete it
Last edited by thischarmingman on Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
thischarmingman
Advanced

Postby thischarmingman » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:13 am

again, as above, cant take my drink, apologies
Last edited by thischarmingman on Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
thischarmingman
Advanced

Postby thischarmingman » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:48 am

was something posted here, all the best to everyone.. please continue
Last edited by thischarmingman on Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
thischarmingman
Advanced

Postby Rodchenko » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:23 am

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->but musically, for the most part, they blow the smiths out of the water. they aren't just strange to be strange, i think that's an incredibly weak argument. and musically speaking, they've been more creative and took more risks than the smiths ever did. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What are you on about? It's not about taking risks! That is not the bloody reason for making music and/or art. if that is your sole purpose then you are way off! Radiohead doesn't really do anything important, other than saving the rainforest.

And Radioheads music isn't better than the Smiths just because it's more experimental, difficult or because it took much longer time producing it in the bloody studio....
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Are You Loathsome Tonight?
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Rodchenko
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to Music Chat