[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Strangeways • View topic - Nail your favourite Billy Bragg tune....

Nail your favourite Billy Bragg tune....

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Shakespear's_Brother » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:35 pm

...to the mast.

Mine is Greetings to The New Brunette.

"How can you lie there and think of England, when you don't even know who's in the team?"

<!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo--> Classic.
Shakespear's_Brother
Regular

Postby rubygirl » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:40 pm

New England
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:57 pm

My very favourite song featuring him is 'Way Over Yonder In The Minor Key', though the lyrics are by Woody Guthrie. I love quite a few of the early songs I've heard though, "Lovers' Town", "Days Like These", and obviously "A New England".

He is at least on a par with Morrissey when it comes to one liners:-

"In the end it took me a dictionary, to find out the meaning of unrequited...."

or

"So we passed very fast like ships in the night, or cars in a contraflow system"

Quality.
elko
Site Admin

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:20 pm

Greetings to the new Brunette...definite contender
A new England is wonderful
Fear is a man's best friend has some of the best guitar ive heard from him
His live cover of Panic is great too.....

Hmmm this is tricky

actually no, The Saturday Boy.
thats my favourite right there.
The trumpet solo gives me shivers down my spine
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/edcallow/" target="_blank">.</a>
The Boy with a thorn in his side
Smiths Nut!

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:10 pm

i like his cover of never had no one ever.
Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:29 am

I've only heard A New England, Saturday Boy, and Shirley (feat. Marr), all which I like. What a long career. Can anyone recommend something? Or maybe a 'best of' is where I should start?<!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo-->

I was surprised to find 'Mermaid Avenue' at the library once about a year ago and so I checked it out. I heard it a few times over the course of a week, but it did take a certain mood to listen to it!
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Domestique » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:16 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Still Ill+Feb 22 2006, 06:29 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Still Ill @ Feb 22 2006, 06:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I've only heard A New England, Saturday Boy, and Shirley (feat. Marr), all which I like. What a long career. Can anyone recommend something? Or maybe a 'best of' is where I should start?<!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo-->

<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
There's an excellent two CD retrospective called Must I Paint You A Picture, which I think is very reasonably priced. Or if it's a "proper" album you're after, personally I'd recommend Talking With The Taxman About Poetry. Of course you could cover all bases and buy both! <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Sucrose/?chartstyle=basicrt10" target="_blank"> Image </a>
Domestique
Smiths Nut!

Postby Rodchenko » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:07 pm

Wishing the days away... Fucking ace
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Are You Loathsome Tonight?
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Rodchenko
Smiths Nut!

Postby Mr-Shankly » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:27 pm

Greetings to the New Brunette or Waiting for the Great Leap Forwards.
Names, secret names. But never in my favour.
Mr-Shankly
Smiths Nut!

Postby Domestique » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:38 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Mr-Shankly+Mar 12 2006, 07:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mr-Shankly @ Mar 12 2006, 07:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Greetings to the New Brunette or Waiting for the Great Leap Forwards. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
And I thought your favourite would have been his version of The Internationale <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Sucrose/?chartstyle=basicrt10" target="_blank"> Image </a>
Domestique
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:45 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Mr-Shankly+Mar 12 2006, 07:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mr-Shankly @ Mar 12 2006, 07:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Waiting for the Great Leap Forwards. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
This song has grown on me heaps recently

"so if no one out there understands start your own revolution and cut out the middleman"

"The revolution is just a T-Shirt away"

Also Re: Must I Paint you A Picture thats great, 40 tracks, almost all top quality and I got my copy for £12, bargain, definitely worth getting hold of
Smiths Nut!

Postby Mr-Shankly » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:17 pm

Which reminds me, im going to see him live in april. About a week before Morrissey. <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->

Boy With a Thorn in his Side, you heard any of the alternative live versions of 'Great Leap Forwards'? He changes the lyrics to reflect current events.
Mr-Shankly
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:50 pm

Can't say I have, you heard the live version of Panic which has been edited to "hang the fucking DJ, tear up the top 40"?

If not, fancy a trade?
Smiths Nut!

Postby Mr-Shankly » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:42 pm

I also have a thing for 'Upfield' at the moment.
Mr-Shankly
Smiths Nut!

Return to Music Chat