The Gig Review Thread

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby elko » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:42 pm

MOGWAI, Bristol Carling Academy, March 29th.

Got there about 6.45, but had to wait for someone that I was selling a spare ticket to. Unfortunately, I still managed to get inside in time to see the support band. My friend reached the conclusion that the reason the support were so bad was in order to make Mogwai seem even better, but in truth they require nothing of the sort. (If anyone cares, the support band were, and still are, called The Magnificents.)

Mogwai are AMAZING. In case you've not heard them, they are mostly instrumental, using guitars and keyboards to make songs of huge volume, dynamic range and emotional impact. Didn't know what to expect live, but...it was just breathtaking. Through a lengthy set, there was never one dull moment, or one second spent waiting for the exciting part- just solidly mesmerising music from start to...the finish, obviously. One of the best gigs I've ever seen.

Go <a href="http://mogwai.co.uk/html/dates/dates.htm" target="_blank">here</a> to see when Mogwai are near you. And then go.....please.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Grim O'Grady » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:13 am

Placebo, carling academy Glasgow (last night), what can I say (without being to dismissive?). Well tbh the only thing I'd heard was their cover of Bigmouth so maybe I hadn't done my homework on them? But saying that seeing has how we won the tickets & part of the prize was their back catalogue, which still hasn't arrived, then I'm not totally to blame. Anyhoo, we took our seats with about 15 mins to go before they came on stage, we were up in the balcony, oh a quick moan before I forget, we went to the bar prior to getting a seat & all they have on the pumps is carling lager (which is fine if you happen to like lager), they had no bitter at all on not even in cans, I ended up on the guinness, which is ok but obviously not my 1st choice in drinks & seeing has we'd already been in the pub prior to getting in the academy meant I was now mixing it a bit! Anyway gripe #1 over (or is that #2 by now?). So we are sat down listening to the intro music, then the lights go down the audience roar goes up & they all stand up & on stage appear Placebo, the crescendo of their first song is upon us, no noticeable audience participation (I assume it was a new song), but no one either sits back down, I point out to GU that had this been a football game the stewards would have been making folk sit down, (gripe #3) why didn't they get standing tickets eh? Well after the 2nd song was halfway thru, my guinness was getting warm so I sat down with it, GU sat & an old lady just to the left of us noticed we'd sat & she sat too, I think she'd brought her grandkids to the show, but the rest of the audience stood firm. I did like the lighting, but obviously could now not see the stage it was lighting, a few more tunes went by (GU said one was vaguely familiar) I was clueless, I just hoped they'd do Bigmouth (then I would have jumped up & joined in) but alas it was not to be. Warm guinness now getting warmer in my belly, I suggest to GU another cool libation & I'm promptly dispatched to the mezzanine bar, I get the drinks but also notice that in the bar is a large screen (maybe so the staff can watch the show?), so I whizz up to GU & we then both relax in the bar watching the show in faux leather luxurious seats. I still haven't recognised a single song, even though the singer has long since announced that they are playing retro songs. Another scoop later & they've finished their set, then it's the encore, the first few bars explode & hey presto, I know this one, but it was a kate bush song, not that there's owt wrong but I wanted Bigmouth & the disappointment was written all over my face. So we stroll out of the bar & are the 1st out of the building, we have a quick chat with the bouncer whom we've seen on several occasions & he says he'll see us at the Moz gig, then it's back to Queen St train station for our journey back to Edinburgh.
I wouldn't pay to see them & thankfully we didn't but there was plenty there last night enjoying them so someone must love 'em besides their Mams.

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby scavenger » Wed May 24, 2006 8:26 pm

Art Brut, Fix Cafe, Brooklyn, New York - May 22

The show was at 8pm in this tiny little cafe, I mean it had to be the size of a classroom and a half. It was absolutly packed...and I was stuck in the back only able to the top half of Eddie's head! Anyway, for a free show it was pretty amazing - they played for about an hour. They began with "Formed a Band" - Eddie couldnt figure out how to get the mic on so he relied on the crowd for volume :P The highlight was definitly "Rusted Gun..." - really lovely live. "Moving to LA" was fun as well as it promoted some shout outs for Moz :P Oh and they did a new song, called "Nag, Nag, Nag" - I think Eddie said it was about a week old.

Anyway, I found some pics up at <a href="http://anewnuance.blogspot.com/2006/05/art-brut-soundfix-records-52206.html" target="_blank">this</a> blog - they arent mine as Im still too poor to afford a digital camera....
Oh, but don't mention love
I'd hate the pain of the strain all over again
A rush and a push and the land that
We stand on is ours
It has been before
So why can't it be now?
And people who are weaker than you or I
They take what they want from life
scavenger
Supreme

Postby helmoz » Fri May 26, 2006 2:03 pm

yay for art brut! "im drinking hennessey with morrissey on a beach out of reach somewhere very far away... im considering a move to LA..." :D
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:09 pm

Hoorah! Gig reviews follow....

Friday, 2nd June 2006 - Cresent / Vashti Bunyan / Max Richter

At St. George's, which used to be a church and still has a wonderful aura to it, and a great sound (something that's missing from a lot of Bristol venues). I think it's used mainly for classical concerts. <a href="http://www.philharmonia.co.uk/_gfx/770-2D0C11.JPG" target="_blank">Take a look, it's lovely.</a>
First up were local band Crescent. They sounded like a jazzy, slo-mo version of The Microphones or perhaps The Field Mice, but with some nice sound experimentation, some loops and that going on. Hard to recommend them really, but they weren't annoying or intrusive, so that was fine.
Not a huge attendance at this time, but then Vashti Bunyan came on, and suddenly everyone was there, it was quite obvious who they'd come to see. She spilt the set pretty much equally between her two albums, the classic 'Just Another Diamond Day', and last year's comeback 'Lookaftering', but to her credit the newer songs stood their ground in this context and really benefitted from the live arrangement - a five piece band of violin, cello, piano, flute and guitar. The only thing that annoyed me was that she played her most well-known song twice - as though she felt she had to pander to her audience. In truth there was no need for it, she had the audience under complete control for the entire duration.
Finally, Max Richter, and one of the strangest things I have ever seen at a gig. As he began setting up his equipment (piano, laptop, violin, cello), people slowly began leaving the hall. I assumed perhaps they were going for an ice cream or something, but no - by the time he'd started, half the crowd had left. Now it's fair to say that Richter isn't the most dynamic of performers, and so the remaining punters weren't exactly persuaded by what they saw....by the end of the first song, the crowd had halved again. We left about half an hour in, by which time it had become quite hard to differentiate between the songs, which proved quite embarrassing when only one person clapped after the end of a song. I do like his music, but it's just to slow-moving to work in a live setting.
In short, a good gig, but the organisers really mucked up with the ordering, and I ended up feeling very sorry for Max Richter - I'm assuming that he finished his performance to be greeted by an empty venue.

---

Sunday, 4th June 2006 - Lots of people, including the legendary Euros Childs

At a rather different venue this one, another old church, but this one in a rather rougher area, and with a much more casual atmosphere. Intended as a finale to a weekend festival here, so there were quite a few acts, starting with North Sea Navigator, playing to approximately eight people, who were all sat at the back of the hall, leaving a danefloor's length between the band and the crowd. Needless to say this prevented any sort of atmosphere, something that was still slightly problematic when Euros Childs took to the stage. A maximum of fifty people seemed to be rooted to the floor, which was a shame, 'cause it was a great set (not that I ever truly attempt to dance at gigs, but I expect other people to do that for me). His band is good and sounds like the Beach Boys, but it's still a shame about Gorky's.
Anywayz, Euros Childs is finished, and all of a sudden we hear a man singing; it's a spirtual song, and he's clapping and weaving his way through the audience. We assume he is a random drunk, albeit with a damn good voice. But he finishes singing and he takes a seat at the side of the hall, where a microphone and guitar are waiting for him. There followed the most intense performance I have ever seen in my life. Announcing: "This is a song about a dead dog", he launched into an incredibly raw song with just a battered old guitar, and vocals that could fairly be described as a cross between Thom Yorke and Jeff Mangum. In other words, very emotional. It was affecting, but also very very painful to watch, as he howled and yelled his way through four or five songs, including a call-and-response spiritual during which he meandered round the audience and made a rather disturbing amount of eye contact. Upon finishing, he sprinted the length of the hall, screaming his lungs out, and collapsed onto the piano, earning the biggest applause of the night.
In fact, just recalling it, it seems a bit stupid to even mention the rest of the acts. But, next were the Mitchell Brothers, a cockney hip-hop duo who weren't the best rappers ever, but had a nice sort of pantomime banter that saved them from being judged too much on artistic merit. Then a bizzarre duet on the side stage, a saxophonist and drummer playing the strangest free-jazz I have ever heard. The saxaphonist seemed to be having a "how many horrid noises can I make with my instrument?" competition, and by the audience reaction, I'd guess that he was winning. But the drummer was really astounding, I can't express his technique in words, only to say that he was literally a blur, and that the songs sounded like ten minutes of sped-up drum solos, with someone being murdered in the background.
Headliner was Toby Allen, who was apparently once Fela Kuti's drummer, and after the previous acts his band seemed like an anti-climax - the songs were too stretched out, and just not tight enough for a funk band, and an audience that by now was ready to dance. I mean, it was okay, but didn't to match the enthusiasm of everyone previous. Ah well, it was a good walk home, I didn't get mugged once, and if I'd been offered to buy weed before I was asked to sell some, I could've made a tidy profit.
Last edited by elko on Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:16 pm

What a very descriptive review you gave there Ellis. A mini-film in my mind followed. And this despite not knowing anyone, except Vashti (in name only) and Euros (somewhat now), but the poor fellow and the guy with the intense performance, that was fun to read!
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Alex » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:29 pm

Two Gallants <a href="http://www.twogallants.com" target="_blank">http://www.twogallants.com</a>
Rocky folk. A duo, drummer & backup vocals and the guitarist doing vocals and harmonica. Never heard of them before yesterday. They played at my favorite bar/theatre, I often go there just to get out of the house. This is just the kind of style that has my interest at the moment. So a bit of a coincidence. Cool live band, and as it turns out they have some good songs too B) Steady Rollin' in particular, they have a video for that so that might come by.

Alex
Smiths Nut!

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:21 pm

Just got back from Regina Spektor; I can honestly say it was the best gig I have ever been to.
Regina is so charming, talented and beautiful, she spent the whole set grinning and giggling, the venue was cosy, the support act was brilliant, and all of my favourite songs were played, also grabbed a "Smyths" poster from the wall, which will take pride of place in my bedroom :)
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/edcallow/" target="_blank">.</a>
The Boy with a thorn in his side
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:14 pm

The Clientele w/guests Michael Andrews and Great Lakes - The Casbah, San Diego

I've spent too much time on this, but not only did I want to share this, now I know how to work with movie clips! The audio is obviously not good, coming from a compact digital camera. I'll post my comments on the show shortly. :P

I've tested this first one, after many clicks I was finally able to view it. I hope anyone who's interested is able to view these!

[attachmentid=112]
A clip from 'Since K Got Over Me'.
Yes I was that close. But it is (thankfully) a very small venue.

[attachmentid=113]
Great Lakes singing Diamond Times, new single.

[attachmentid=114]
Mike Fadem of Great Lakes.

[attachmentid=115]
Ben Crum (Great Lakes) joins The Clientele
Last edited by Still Ill on Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:42 pm

Alright, I don't know why I can't view the clips now. :( I'll try to fix them later (for my own sanity.)

Here's some thoughts on the show:

The Clientele / Great Lakes / Michael Andrews

When Michael Andrews took to the stage, I thought this couldn't be the same person who scored the Donnie Darko soundtrack and the Tears for Fears cover. He just seemed so shy, hunched over on his chair, dressed plain in a plaid shirt, jeans and converse sneakers. But it was! And we were treated to a great set.

Great Lakes then came on and took the place by storm. Travelling as a 3-piece, I'm guessing their sound was more stripped down, leaving the synths/keyboard stuff at home. They played well and loud. Ben Crum's voice has that trademark E6 sound, carrying a note up in psychedelic style, I can't describe it well. Their drummer pretty much stole the show, with his stage presence. (His father played drums and had a hit on someone's record, can't remember now! Must've been forgettable). Check them out on myspace greatlakesband.

I'd seen Alasdair of the Clientele roaming around inside throughout the night, I couldn't keep my eyes off him. (He actually looks like a sandy-haired version of Ian McCulloch.) They played well, not like shoegazers like I envisioned, looking down the entire show. The were very engaging with the audience. They sound soooo lush. Ben Crum was asked to joing them for a song later in their set. A beautiful blonde played violin and she was introduced as a new member. After the show I asked Alasdair for the setlist. He smiled and gave it to me. Check them out on myspace also!

Alasdair, again
[attachmentid=116]

[attachmentid=117]
Michael Andrews, taken from the internet

[attachmentid=118]
Ok, I know the clips work now, takes a long while to load I guess.
So one more, I love the ending to 'Diamond Times', plus drummer extraordinaire taking over. :D

All this took so long.
Last edited by Still Ill on Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:07 pm

Sounds purdy good. Video does work, though it does take a little while to load. Nice work!
elko
Site Admin

Postby helmoz » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:07 pm

i'm going to see graham coxon on my birthday (oct 22) - i'll post a review if i don't get so drunk that i forget everything!
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:52 pm

just got back from seeing the New York Dolls in Glasgow, the problem was we missed 1/2 their set, I was informed that they won't be on before 9.30pm, grrr the came on at 8.40 apparently!!!
Still the 1/2 we saw was brilliant, they did some new stuff, obviously, but they blew us away with 'Trash' & 'Personality Crisis'. If I get time 2moz I'll post some pics.

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby this_charming_girl » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:25 pm

oooh! don't know if this will mean anything to anyone, but The Rogers Sisters are playing a ta little club near me in november, oh this month! and there's an indie/electro kind of indie disco afterwards too! ooh i shall definately review that! :D

Stefi x
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby yandee » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:21 pm

18.11.06 The World Inferno Friendship Society at the Röda in Steyr

Saturday, looking forward to this gig the whole week, for I was going to meet my best friend coming home from Vienna for the weekend. Conntacted her around 3PM, but she didn't pick up the phone, tried it again at 5,6,7 and wrote hundreds of messages, which she never ever reads. So I was getting dressed for the concert when I finally received her message that she wasn't going to come for she was stuck in Vienna being unhappy for there was no way to come home, at 8PM. Went out at 8:30 PM, smoked some faggs, drank some beer, reading the newspaper, waiting for somebody to come, but nobody I knew came to this freaking club, went out to buy the world's hottest kebap, came back and realized that the oping act had canceled the show. Spotted some friends at about 10:30 PM, concert started at 11:00. I was not going to expect anything for I was allready heartbroken. But, what came then were 90 minutes of pure hilarious joy to me. A freaking punk rock orchestra from Brooklyn NY, featuring normal punk band lineup plus brass section and piano and one of the most charismatic singers I've ever seen. The played really good, very fast, fucking loud (I think that I lost a certain amount of my hearing capacity). Very good party with all that dancing and pogo stuff, breathtaking, making me sweat. What they played was not to fit in any category. Influences from Brecht/Weill, Gun Club, UK Punk, Soul, Balkan Brass...to Rockabilly and there were even some Smiths influences I could hear, but probably only I could hear them. Great music, great show. The singer went through the audience, huging some hardcore punks, leaving them feeling slightly awkward, he danced with some girls in the front and telling stories of how he swallowed the booze worm from the bottom of the tequila bottle and how he has to feed that worm living in his stomach with enormous amounts of alcohol in order not to piss the booze worm off. 2 encores, the last featuring some collectiv dancing, everybody but me and some big girl danced. I stood tall in the middle of the audience not moving a foot, but glaring romantically into the smoke. Cheers to the heartbroken. Such a lovely show.

the one I love
yandee
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to Music Chat