The Gig Review Thread

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Re:

Postby rorschach » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:23 am

Cracked Pleasures wrote:TOOL - Istanbul

During their time off-stage, a very annoying recorded electronic sound was displayed, so the return of the band was a welcome relief. Especially since the encores featured two highlights of the show: an impressive live version of "Flood" (one of the darkest and eeriest intros I ever heard!) and as last song an always welcomed "Aenima". During the encores, a laser show was done.

Tool were once my favourite band (back in my quasi metal-head days). I love Flood, spot on about the intro. These days I find them difficult to listen to (I'm getting too cynical I think). Also, I thought 10000 days was too similar to Lateralus.
Freedom is the only way, yeah

http://www.pbfcomics.com/
rorschach
Advanced

Re: The Gig Review Thread

Postby Truman Capote » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:16 pm

I saw Bob Dylan!!! and I was pretty pretty close! :D

OK, I know it's not a review but I wanted to tell you this, I'm quite proud!
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:42 am

Rorschach, have you tried A Perfect Circle? I personally love that band, and everyone obviously compares them to Tool but to me APC are far better. Maynard's lyrics are brilliant as ever, but his voice really suits the music a lot and he looks so charismatic and cool when he's with A Perfect Circle. One of the few great bands of the last decade, and I keep my fingers crossed they'll get back together someday. That said, the Wings For Marie song (18 minutes long) from the last Tool album is fantastic beyond compare, it's emotional like Maynard never was before and the lyrics cut through your heart like a knife, to make an 18 minute epic that doesn't bore a single second is fantastic. Still, in general I prefer APC.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:07 am

I'll be giving a couple soon seeing as how the Nekromantix are coming THIS THURSDAY (Woo!!!) and Minus the Bear are coming 5 days later--- roxxor!!!!
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Boxguy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:54 pm

Pashernate_Lover wrote:I'll be giving a couple soon seeing as how the Nekromantix are coming THIS THURSDAY (Woo!!!) and Minus the Bear are coming 5 days later--- roxxor!!!!

...and the jealously level begins to creep higher and higher... :)

Have a ton of fun!
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Thu May 01, 2008 7:02 pm

The Nekromantix: Amazing band live- they have figured out perfectly how to mix kitsch subjects, ridiculously awesome haircuts, disturbing instruments and energy into a solid performance. The concert peaked for me during Nekrofelia when Kim Nekroman flipped his bass, which is made out of a converted small coffin, on its side, sat on it, and played part of the song. Plus, who doesn't love a band whose frontman is also the bassist? The crowd loved it, the band seemed to be having a really fun time and everyone left smiling- especially the girls in the front that got invited onto the stage to dance during the encore. I would see them again in a hot second and if they ever come to your area I seriously recommend them if you want to have a really fun time.

Minus the Bear: Who can say anything but amazing things about this band live? Spot on playing- if you like them recorded you won't be able to contain your joy seeing them live, certainly nobody in the audience with me did. If you don't know them and like mellow indie with a bit of elecronic and a solid rhythm section you should give them a listen. The two most amazing things about their performance, for me, were the rythm guitarist and how amazingly humble they all are. We have all seen bands that think they are hot shit, the end all be all of music and think they deserve to have the ground they walk on kissed by loyal followers-- Minus the Bear are the polar opposite of that. Their music was their main concern and it was played mesmerizingly with egos seemingly checked at the door. The rythm guitarist had me transfixed for most of the show- he is like a human-robot... completely impossible to describe but if you get the chance to watch them glance his way, there is a reason he is dripping at the end of the show. The encore is what really made this show for me, I have to say it. They are promoting their new album Planet of Ice, so much of the set was taken from that album and their prior release Menos El Oso, and I am a hardcore fan of their older stuff. The encore was entirely older songs from their older releases Bands Like It When You Yell YAR At Them and Highly Refined Pirates- the audience went crazy, everyone had a great time and I honestly did not see one person leaving that show that wasn't either smiling or gushing to their friends. Catch them if you get the chance- it'll be worth it.
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu May 15, 2008 12:19 am

I had an absolute blast last weekend at the Wave Gothik Treffen in Leipzig. I went only one day, visiting the city during the day and watching London After Midnight (I went especially for them) during the evening. A personal highlight after the concert was me meeting singer Sean Brennan and posing for a picture with him. I had a great time ; the last weeks were tough as I coped with some pretty bad anxieties from my OCD, I was extremely lucky that right at the concert day I was free of worries and able to really enjoy it.

Must say though that if I had known what happened to Pashy I'd have felt very guilty for being there and having fun. I read about the accident when I came back from Leipzig, my feeling of triumph was lost on the spot.

Anyways, for those interested, my blog contains a concert review. http://seekingcrackedpleasures.blogspot.com
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Robby » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:31 pm

aww, i went to your blog Cracked Pleasures, but saw no pics of you with 'Lord Brennan' :D
Robby

Postby Nymphetamine » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:17 am

I saw Angels and Airwaves in April, that was the very last gig I went to. They've come on leaps and bounds as a band, because when I first saw them in 2006, they were shockingly poor live and then just two years later their live performance is better quality wise than their album. You can't say that about many bands.

I'll upload some pictures at a later date, along with Morrissey at the Camden, Roundhouse.
Nymphetamine
Regular

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:44 pm

X tonight, Tiger Army tomorrow night-- I am so excited!!
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:58 pm

If you care at all about these bands, they are fantastic.

I spent two and a half months waiting for this weekend with bated breath- I knew it would pay off but I had no idea it would pay off this hard. Also, on a side note, being able to wear non-professional clothes that I actually liked and being able to X up two nights in a row for the first time in goodness knows how long was so satisfying.

On Friday I went to see X at the Catalyst and it was fantastic! I literally thought through every single song I hoped they played before the show began- they started with Your Phone's Off the Hook, but You're Not and played every single one! It was fantastic! The crowd was remarkably polite and didn't push or shove anyone- it also helps that I was probably the shortest and by far one of the youngest ones there, so I could actually *see* the band without being pushed around. They played 2, count them, 2 encores! It was really touching because John Doe was clapping the audience as much as we were clapping for them, they seemed to appreciate that we were there as much as we appreciated that they came. I have wanted this for years, I never thought it was possible, and they even played Johnny Hit and Run Pauline which is an amazing track with a real message that they said on camera in 1995 that they didn't play live anymore because the crowd didn't get it. I was touched- it was beautiful I'm glad I lived to see this day, especially since I almost didn't.

Saturday night was the Tiger Army show I have been oh so wanting to go see over and over again. I have tried... many times in fact, but I always miss them, last night however I finally got a taste of how fantastic they are live. Their opening band already made the tickets worth it- they are a band I saw with The Aquabats 2.5 years ago, they are called The Phenomonauts and they seriously blew my mind. They are catchy, fun, and creative as f**k! They came out dressed as space age dudes with haze and a laser show. They were on it, looking the same places at the same time, looking totally together and being hilarious! They even had a toilet paper shooting fan-gun that they pointed at the crowd- it was awesome! Plus it is impossible to see them play and not dance, I don't care who you are. They have come a loooooong way these last few years, it was an amazing transformation, I can't wait to see them again. They went off and after a looooooooong set up time, Tiger Army came out and did my head in. They are so amazing live- catchy, well put together, charismatic and psychobilly as hell. The crowd, unlike the one at the X show, was trying to shove me the hell over and smash me, which was ridiculously horrible because I wanted to be among them but my legs and back wouldn't let that happen, so I was stuck in the righthand corner of the venue. People went ape s**t over them- it was impossible not to dance around and scream the words and laugh and hold on for dear life. I didn't want it to end, they made it feel really short even though it didn't end until 12:15. I was in it, they were everything I have been waiting for so many years for. They seem to genuinely love Santa Cruz or else they wouldn't have done Santa Carla Twilight, we certainly genuinely love them and I am satisfied as ever. Worth the 2.5 month wait? Hell yes it was.

Edit: This is my best attempt at censorship-enjoy!
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:58 pm

I underwent a 10 hours train drive to Poland to see London After Midnight in concert again. It was great. The concert itself was superb, and vocalist Sean Brennan invited me backstage for a private chat afterwards. My first backstage entry in my life... It was a great night. My report is in my blog: http://seekingcrackedpleasures.blogspot.com , you can see there was a lack of updates during September and late August, much because of the same reason I listed in the other topic (depression and seeking new energy through travel) . Actually the concert was a first cheerful moment after that dark period I went through and contributed to giving my fresh energy. Music is a lifesaver indeed, a rubber ring.

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:08 am

I saw Patti Smith! For free! I was even 30 minutes late because nobody knew a start time but she still played for more than an hour after I got there. She did not lose ANY energy, she even played Gloria-- that song she broke her spine to all those years ago. And Flea was playing with her, which was kinda weird. And Lenny Kaye, of course, was there looking weathered but happy. Seriously, uplifted me endlessly and was a chance for my boyfriend to see what I call music.
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Previous

Return to Music Chat