What's the latest addition to your music library?

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby chicken » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:59 pm

Paul Oakenfold: Great Wall
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:40 pm

The White Stripes: "Icky Thump"

despite my adoration for jack, i'm not that impressed by this release. in comparison to previous work, my ears just don't hear it stacking up as well. the last track is killer, i'll not take that from them. maybe i just need to listen to it more. :unsure:
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby yandee » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:06 pm

Patti Smith - Radio Ethiopia
Television - Marquee Moon
MC5 - Kick Out The Jams (4€)
The Cure - Seventeen Seconds (3€)
and a compilation called "The Definitive Story Of CBGB" including all the good ones and the not so good ones, but I mainly bought it because of Patti's Piss Factory

the one I love
yandee
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:19 pm

chicken wrote:The White Stripes: "Icky Thump"

despite my adoration for jack, i'm not that impressed by this release. in comparison to previous work, my ears just don't hear it stacking up as well. the last track is killer, i'll not take that from them. maybe i just need to listen to it more. :unsure:

"Icky Thump" itself is just mental though, I love that such a weird, shifting song can be on the radio three times a day and no-one thinks anything of it. The White Stripes are really unusual, I don't think a lot of people notice...
elko
Site Admin

Postby Truman Capote » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:56 am

elko wrote:<!--quoteo(post=41845:date=Jun 27 2007, 11:40 PM:name=chicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chicken @ Jun 27 2007, 11:40 PM) [snapback]41845[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
The White Stripes: "Icky Thump"

"Icky Thump" itself is just mental though, I love that such a weird, shifting song can be on the radio three times a day and no-one thinks anything of it. The White Stripes are really unusual, I don't think a lot of people notice...
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, I don't have the album, but that song on the radio is just incredible. Great guitar work.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:39 am

Ween: La Cucaracha
Iron and Wine: The Shepherd's Dog

assessment thus far: the ween is hard to get used to; it spans enough musical genres as to be hebrephenic :P
the iron and wine clearly shows the influence of calexico, which is not a bad thing. the last half of the disc is amazing.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby yandee » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:45 pm

Leonard Cohen - The Essential
Leonard Cohen - I'm Your Fan (great collection of 80s cover versions featuring the incredible REM version of First We Take Manhattan and John Cale's Hallelujah)
Hüsker Dü - New Day Rising

the one I love
yandee
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:51 pm

Last thing I got was the new Radiohead album (though it wasn't me who personally paid for it). Pretty impressive, and not just the music.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Truman Capote » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:28 pm

elko wrote:Last thing I got was the new Radiohead album (though it wasn't me who personally paid for it). Pretty impressive, and not just the music.

Oh yeah, it really is a work of art, isn't it. And the music sounds so fresh, I liked it a lot.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:33 am

Not really a purchase of my own, but I got the "greatest hits" collection of Rush as an early christmas gift from my parents :) Arrived safe and sound as well (something I am always paranoid about when shipping breakable CDs per mail)
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:18 am

I finally found British Sea Power's newest album on the internet and can't wait for the official U.S. release!
It won't overpower my love for Open Season or Decline, but I've only listened to the complete album once.

The only other album I've obsessed over the last few months is the Coral's 'Roots and Echoes'. Just love it.
I also got a hold of 'In Rainbows' which I really like. (Who liked their 'Headmaster Ritual' cover,--I did)
and Spoon's GaGaGaGaGaGaGaGaGaGa.

Most of my purchases were not '07 releases, I'm just realizing.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:46 pm

That answers my question about BSP in a diff'rent thread then Esther - what do you make of it after a couple of listens? Heard 'Canvey Island' and a free download (forgotten the title) and they both sounded far more rocky than Open Season, nice to see them trying something a bit more inventive, but I don't like the new artwork! I liked how the previous albums were like old geography books or something. Will try and catch them live though if I can, really feel like I ought to have by now.

Last thing I got was a present, and a really brilliant one: 'Mirrored' by Battles. It's just amazing, it takes a few listens to even work out what's going on, and once you have it's hard to tell what's discordant and what isn't. I'd recommend it to pretty much anyone as a wonderful example of how far music can still progress. Just don't ask what genre it is :P
elko
Site Admin

Postby Profanity » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:51 pm

Year Zero - NIN

It's a good album. It hasn't grown on me as quickly as With Teeth did but it's getting there. It never pays to doubt the genius of Trent Reznor.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
- Oscar Wilde
Profanity
Regular

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:55 pm

You seem like a person with great taste. The Smiths, horror, NIN, ... Great to have you on board of the forums!

I will put on some NIN myself in a second... Probably Star****ers Inc, with my own metal favourite Marilyn Manson making a guest appearance in the video.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Profanity » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:04 pm

I adore Marilyn Manson, having seen him live now three times. I'm actually a member of a Manson forum and whereas it's a great forum, it's certainly not as friendly to us new bloods as this place is.

Actually, don't get me started on Manson because I'm likely to bore the pants off you.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
- Oscar Wilde
Profanity
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Music Chat