What's the latest addition to your music library?

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:15 pm

You'll never bore me with Manson stories B) I am a fan since, well, almost 9 years now. Seen him 5 times in 5 different countries. You have a truly great taste! What Manson forum are you on? There's quite a lot of them, although no official forum connected to the official site marilynmanson.com.

We have a Marilyn Manson topic here as well though, even though most contributions were of my hand, so it pretty much turned into a monologue.

PS: listening to The Nobodies right now.
Last edited by Cracked Pleasures on Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Profanity » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:38 pm

I'm on one of the unofficial sites. The official one is quite, well, boring.

I must check out your thread.

May I say, you've got quite impeccable taste yourself.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
- Oscar Wilde
Profanity
Regular

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:49 pm

Thanks. We seem to agree very well on first glimpse, which is always cool. The Manson thread at this site: <a href="http://www.strangewaysherewecome.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=194" target="_blank">http://www.strangewaysherewecome.co.uk/ind...p?showtopic=194</a>

What Manson forum are you at? I believe the biggest and one of the longest-lasting ones is marilyn-manson.net although I believe Mansonworld also had a rather big one. I should add that I still actively remember the old days when the official marilynmanson.com site still had its own "official" forum. I still wonder why he removed it, back then it was of course the biggest Manson forum but since its disappearance the fans are pretty much scattered across different unofficial forums. The official site is graphically very nice, although content-wise it could be better.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Re: What's the latest addition to your music library?

Postby chicken » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:45 pm

so i discovered that i've been a total dolt.

last week i was sifting through my music on the pc here, and suddenly realized i didn't have all my "Cake" ripped!
i'm 95% certain i bought it within three months of release--i really like this band.
it had been "lost" in my truck since purchase in....2004 :shock: :!:

:oops:
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:43 am

Smashing Pumpkins - American Gothic (EP)

Want a listen?
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:52 pm

The Best of Elvis Costello - - ->
I am truly getting into his music and absolutely lovings his lyrics 8)
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Re:

Postby Still Ill » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:15 pm

elko wrote:That answers my question about BSP in a diff'rent thread then Esther - what do you make of it after a couple of listens? Heard 'Canvey Island' and a free download (forgotten the title) and they both sounded far more rocky than Open Season, nice to see them trying something a bit more inventive, but I don't like the new artwork! I liked how the previous albums were like old geography books or something. Will try and catch them live though if I can, really feel like I ought to have by now.

Last thing I got was a present, and a really brilliant one: 'Mirrored' by Battles. It's just amazing, it takes a few listens to even work out what's going on, and once you have it's hard to tell what's discordant and what isn't. I'd recommend it to pretty much anyone as a wonderful example of how far music can still progress. Just don't ask what genre it is :P

*bump* Because I can't recommend this band to enough people (who haven't already heard of them)
Ellis, I've grown to really love the new album. It's definitely a return to Decline, not as raw as one would expect from a debut album. They don't really break new ground, it's simply a new set of great songs. It's a combo of their first two. Yeah, they did have a great collection of covers.
You missed them at the Thekla back in October. Hmph! :( I'll finally get my chance to see them next month.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:57 pm

rubygirl wrote:The Best of Elvis Costello - - ->
I am truly getting into his music and absolutely lovings his lyrics 8)

Amazing artist, isn't he :) :) :)? I recently bought a Suede's self titled album, a Shivaree album (Who's Got Trouble?) and some happy, poppy Aussie album by the Grates. The first two are awesome awesome awesome, the third one I am trying to be fair to :-P (But hey, cost me $7 altogether, so even if the Grates don't end up doing it for me, it was still all worth it :lol: )
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Qvist » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:51 pm

Got a bunch of three recently:

Cat Power/ The Greatest: Bit of a disappointment I thought - all those slick session musicians do make her songs sound attractive, but they also make her tunes sound shallow and dull, somehow. Apart from the title track, it hasn't done anything for me yet.

Blonde Redhead/ 23: This I like. Okay, so it won't change the history of rock and it is most definitely what would be called derivative work, if musicos spoke like artists. But a well-made pop album with strong tunes that sounds like an alternative dimension Cardigans who spent their whole lives listening to Pale Saints, the Cocteau Twins and Stereolab? I can live with that.

The Modern Lovers/The Modern Lovers: This is a classic. The story is too long to tell here, but in brief, many critics would agree that Jonathan Richman invented punk on this 1972 album, which was then not actualy released until after the Pistols. From today's vantage point, it's not awfully punky though, rather it makes you think of much later things. Try playing "Pablo Picasso" for example, and you can actually hear the Pixies being invented.

Anyway - I can't think of any other record actually that reminded me so forcefully of Morrissey - not so much musically, but in terms of attitude. Here's a guy who, in the midst of the drug-soaked early seventies hippierama that was american culture at the time, went on stage clean-cut and well-dressed, and sang songs about being straight, growing old and dignified, loving your parents and, contrary to what the students were saying, being in love with the modern world. If people booed and refused to listen, which happened frequently, he would stop the band and go over to RECITING the lyrics really slowly, to make sure nobody missed them. There's not a soft spot in hippie culture he doesn't kick, and he does it by cultivating a consistent ethos of being honest and, if not actually nice then at least quite gentle and kind. Get this record.Now. And listen to it really carefully. I mean it.

cheers
Qvist
Regular

Postby Truman Capote » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:23 pm

Qvist wrote:Got a bunch of three recently:
Cat Power/ The Greatest: Bit of a disappointment I thought - all those slick session musicians do make her songs sound attractive, but they also make her tunes sound shallow and dull, somehow. Apart from the title track, it hasn't done anything for me yet.

Oh, I got that CD and I was going to say it's great!

:?

Well, I'll say it: this album is sooo beautiful!
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:15 am

I have wanted the Santa Dog album Kittyhawk since 2007 when they put Chemical up on Last.fm... and I finally hunted it down and bought and ZOMG so good! You'd love it Boxguy :)
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Boxguy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:17 pm

Pashernate_Lover wrote:I have wanted the Santa Dog album Kittyhawk since 2007 when they put Chemical up on Last.fm... and I finally hunted it down and bought and ZOMG so good! You'd love it Boxguy :)

Do want!!! :mrgreen:
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby HeavenKnowsImMozzerable » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:05 pm

A Casual Introduction 1981-2001, a collection every Orange Juice/Edwyn Collins fan must have!
The Drums' debut album... too brilliant for words.
Plastic Beach by Gorillaz... great guest stars, from Lou Reed to Paul Simonon, and lots of electrifying pop gems.
Blur's Think Tank... a tragically underrated record.
I wanna go home... I don't want to stay... give up life as a BAD MISTAKE...

Life is good; and I feel great. 'Cause mother says I was a great mistake.
HeavenKnowsImMozzerable
Regular

Previous

Return to Music Chat